Unspecified Errors During Scheduled Quicken 2019 Updates

I have Q2019 set to do scheduled updates (portfolio and cloud sync) each morning at 1am.  This has been working flawlessly for quite some time.  For the past few weeks when I wake the PC in the morning I see Quicken's two yellow errors in the task bar indicating that an error has occurred during the scheduled update.  When I open Quicken and click on Update no errors are listed.  I can run Update while Quicken is open without error.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer

Sarah,

I removed the investment account from the sync but still got the error.  I reset the cloud data, re-selected the accounts to sync and scheduled a sync.  it completed without error.  I believe the problem has been solved.

Thanks for your help and persistence, Sarah.  It's truly appreciated.

Rich

Answers

• Hello Richard Bauer,

Thank you for taking the time to report this behavior to the Community.  May I ask, after waking the computer, does the One Step Update Summary window open in Quicken?

If not, please go to the Tools menu and select "One Step Update Summary" from the list, prior to selecting the "update" button. 

In the window that opens, the errors should be listed, however if not, uncheck the "show just the last update" box in the bottom left corner, if it is checked.

Please let us know if the errors now appear or if the One Step Update Summary shows a successful update.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Sarah:

Thanks for the reply.  I've narrowed down the source of the errors.  When setting up the scheduled updates there are three options:

1. Sync to Quicken Cloud
    2. Download quotes and investment information
    3. Update portfolio on Quicken.com

I have chosen the first two options and through trial and error have determined that the error occurs every time I select the SYNC option.  The error showing on the summary page is: You Need To Select Accounts to Export.  I have reviewed the account list and found several old, unused accounts.  I have CLOSED all of those but the error persists.  The funny thing is I can perform a manual sync by choosing MOBILE & WEB and then CLOUD SYNC.  that works every time with no error.  the errors occur only when I schedule the update.

I'm thinking that the scheduled update is corrupted.  Your thoughts?  If you agree how do I delete the current scheduled update and start over?  Other ideas??

Rich

• Hello @Richard Bauer,

Thank you for the additional information, I'm glad to hear we were able to narrow down the source of the errors, however, an error message stating "You Need To Select Accounts to Export" typically refers to the online portfolio at investing.quicken.com, or the third option that is not selected.

To be sure though, please go to the Edit menu > Preferences and select "investing.Quicken.com portfolio" from the left side of the window.  On the right side, is the bottom box "Track my watch list on Investing.Quicken.com" marked?

If so, please uncheck the box and click OK.  When the update runs once more, does the same error appear, a different error, or does the update now complete successfully?

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • Sarah,

Did as you suggested. The 'Track My Watch List' box was NOT checked.  Thinking something had become corrupted I CHECKED the box, applied and OKed that, closed and re-opened Quicken and waited for the scheduled update to occur.  When it did the error occurred again.

Suggestions?

Rich

• Hi Rich,

If you mark the box to "Show just the last update" in the One Step Update Summary window, does the message about selecting accounts to export still appear?

Thanks,

Sarah
  • Yes.  The other error relating to the SYNC...Errors During Quicken Cloud Sync...is gone.  The 'You Need To Select Accounts To Export' still shows.
  • Hi Rich,

Thank you for checking and confirming.  The "You Need to Select Accounts to Export" error refers specifically to the investing.quicken.com data and to clear the error, we will have to select some data.

Please go back to the Edit > Preferences > investing.quicken.com Portfolio view and mark the box again to "Track My Watchlist" and then click OK.

After a successful update, the error should be gone since we've selected data to export.  Once we've had a successful update and cleared the error, then please go to the Tools menu > One Step Update and uncheck the "Update Portfolio on Quicken.com" and click Apply.

The next scheduled update should complete without updating the investing portfolio but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • ok, will give that a go and report back.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    Yes.  The other error relating to the SYNC...Errors During Quicken Cloud Sync...is gone.  The 'You Need To Select Accounts To Export' still shows.
    This error will always display if you choose not to use the now obsolete Quicken.com feature. It has been reported many times and the feedback from Quicken has always been that it is working as designed.

A logical person who chooses not to use the Quicken.com feature would view the error condition as a bug. Quicken views it as a program design feature; go figure.
  • Richard BauerRichard Bauer Member
    edited March 17

Good afternoon, Sarah.

Regarding the Quicken.Com portfolio suggestion.  Did that and that has solved THAT problem. 

But now I'm getting continuous errors when syncing the data to the cloud during a scheduled update but when I do a manual sync using MOBILE & WEB:CLOUD SYNC the sync completes with no errors.  After a scheduled update and looking at the Update Summary there is a red dot and in red...Errors During Quicken Cloud Sync but no errors are shown.  ?? 

Rich

• just tried another scheduled update with just the 'Sync Quicken Cloud' option selected.  the scheduled update failed but the manual sync worked.  ????
  • Hi Rich,

I'm glad to hear the Quicken.com portfolio issue is resolved but apologize that you are now receiving errors when syncing with the cloud.

Have you by any chance gone to the Edit menu > Preferences option and viewed the Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts section?  Is there a blue "get started" button under the Mobile and Web section on the right side of the window?

If not, please go to the Mobile & Web tab and view the accounts selected to sync - how many accounts and what type of accounts is there?

If so, that means that although the sync shows in Quicken that it is set up, internally it is actually not connected and to resolve we would need to reset up the sync connection.  

Please click on the blue link just above that says "sign in using a different Quicken ID".  A window will open and type "yes" in the box to confirm we want to sign out.

Quicken should then refresh and show a sign-in window, please close and re-open Quicken and then sign in with the same Quicken ID that you are currently using.

On the next screen, when prompted to enable Mobile, select "don't use mobile" and proceed through the rest of the registration.

When you can see the data file again, go to the Mobile & Web tab and click on Get Started to reset up the sync.  Once finished, the sync error should be cleared, but please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  •  
    Sarah,

Answering your questions:

Have you by any chance gone to the Edit menu > Preferences option and viewed the Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts section?  Is there a blue "get started" button under the Mobile and Web section on the right side of the window?

No, but there is a 'Reset Your Cloud Data' option

If not, please go to the Mobile & Web tab and view the accounts selected to sync - how many accounts and what type of accounts is there?

18 total accounts selected all but one are classified as "Other".  The lone exception is one of our investment accounts.  The 'Other' accounts are credit cards, bank accounts and other investment accounts (IRA, etc.)

Rich

• Hi Rich,

Thank you for the updated information.  Would you mind temporarily removing the Investment account from syncing and let me know if you still receive a sync to Quicken cloud error?

If so, please go ahead and "Reset Your Cloud Data" from the Preferences window.  Resetting the cloud data removes all previously synced information so your accounts will need to be reset for syncing, but should resolve the cloud sync error being received.

If the sync does complete successfully with only the Investment account removed, please go back to the Edit > Preferences > investing.quicken.com option and are any securities selected in the list?

I'm just trying to rule out if any of the changes we made to the investing.com portfolio  area caused the syncing error.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Richard BauerRichard Bauer Member
    Accepted Answer

Sarah,

I removed the investment account from the sync but still got the error.  I reset the cloud data, re-selected the accounts to sync and scheduled a sync.  it completed without error.  I believe the problem has been solved.

Thanks for your help and persistence, Sarah.  It's truly appreciated.

Rich

• Hi Rich,

Yay! I'm glad to hear that everything is running correctly now and you are very welcome, I appreciate your sticking with me through the different steps :)

If there's anything further the Community or myself may assist with, please let us know.

Thanks again!

Sarah