Can Quicken fix this? (Using Quicken without Internet connection)

I recently updated to 2019. I use a laptop and don't always connect to the internet because I might not be at home and even if I am, I might just want to run a quick easy answer report.

About every 3rd time of use, the software errs out because I'm not connected to the internet when I launch it, and it makes me connect [to verify i suppose] and then goes thru the welcome to 2019 screens before letting me into my accounts.

I've uninstalled, cleaned, re-installed due to windows update problems and this still happens. I've contacted support and they just suggest the same old uninstall, re-install and articles about connectivity issues.

This is a program issue. A coding change would fix this. If you are connected, then the software can do what it needs to do, otherwise skip it until you are connected.

So the questions are, what is the software doing that requires an internet connection at launch, and why can't this be fixed as suggested?

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    It is authenticating your license and that will not change. Rather than uninstall/reinstall why not just open Quicken as usual and let it connect without issue?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1809
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    @GeoffG the OP mentions not having access to the internet at all times. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Thanks for your reply. I think Quicken can just make this more transparent to the user. They can authenticate any time you are connected if they wanted to without forcing you to connect. If I’m somewhere I don’t have any access, I’m out of luck. If they must force you to connect because they have a load of illegal users that never connect (?) then perhaps they should warn everyone that if they haven’t authenticated in the past week or so (debatable time frame), they will be forced to the next time they launch quicken.
  • Have you tried disabling your WiFi adapter before running Quicken?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • No I haven’t. Might give that a try. Thanks. 
  • I'm having this issue, as well.   It's never been a problem for as long as I've been using Quicken (15-20 years).   I'm a military guy, and I VERY FREQUENTLY have to take my personal laptop to areas where there isn't a commercial wifi connection available.  I typically download my transactions at home, and then use Quicken with my laptop offline to enter the transactions.  We have rental properties, etc. and I can fall behind very quickly.   I'm going to be p!ssed if I can no longer use Quicken without being connected to the internet.

I've tried disabling my laptop's wifi adapter before launching quicken, but I inevitably get the "Please check internet connection and retry. [Error: InternetDisconnected]".  

Is there any workaround??

-Joel
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    I typically switch to Airplane Mode before starting Quicken. I have not seen any connection errors using that approach. QW2017. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • When I finally connected my laptop to wifi and launched Quicken, I got the Quicken ID logon screen.  I don't know how often that's required, or if it's based on something specific like number of logons, time elapsed, or software update.  In any case, you apparently can't get past it without internet connectivity.

I did put my laptop in Airplane Mode after taking it offline, again, and Quicken launched normally... no problems working with my file.  That's a relief, at least.  Thanks for that suggestion, mshiggins!

So I guess the bottom line is we're still good to go working offline, except when a QuickenID logon is required to proceed (for whatever reason).  Wish there was an option to defer, at least temporarily.

Thanks!
    -Joel
This discussion has been closed.