What does the "Apply" supposed to do, apply selections between updates?

I am using the latest version of Quicken Business & Rental for Windows.  I have reported  this problem before where the selection are not saved between updates.  This used to work with prior versions of Quicken, but stopped after one of the updates.

See screen print below. I select "all" and then select "Apply" and select "Update Now".  It works fine, but the next time I open Quicken, I have to select "all" again because the selections are not saved.

If I don't go through this process, none of the bank accounts are processed and no transactions are download.  I have to repeat the update and which time it prompts me to select the banks desired.

What is the function of the "Apply" button?  What is it applying?

I have a second file Quicken file with only one bank account and I do not have to select it every time I perform an update.

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It used to be, if you changed which boxes were checked, it required clicking on "Update Now" to get those settings saved.
    Now, you can make some changes and click "Apply" without doing an update and get the settings saved.

It saves having to do a One Step Update to save the settings.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• I have tried that and it doesn't save any selections.  Tried one, then two and then all followed by clicking on "Apply".

None of the selections are saved between updated and reopening Quicken.

Is this a bug and if so what is the resolution?
    I tested this in my 27.1.18.15 Quicken Premier and it works as expected.  
    I brought up OSU settings, de-selected a box, clicked Apply, then Cancel, quit and restarted Quicken, and checked setting and the box was still de-selected.
    Reversed the process and in the end, the box was selected.  
    It could be that you have a corrupted program and need to re-install.  If you want to do that, follow the instructions at QCleanUI - Clean Uninstall

• edited March 8
    Did that with my software listed below and no go.  I even installed it on my PC after installing Windows 10 from scratch. I have reported this before and I have tried several recommendations suggested by others and it still does not work.

Edited screenshot to blur email address.
    @Richard Valentine  In the future, you might want to remove personal info from screenshots.

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Richard Valentine

Using the procedure from : https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?priorityCode=1348800000
    does not work because it can't find Quicken to remove it.

Use this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Works without any errors. I use QCleanUi to uninstall Quicken and not Program and Features.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • I used the procedure QCleanUI and it still does not work. It only remembers the Online Services selections.

• I did not get a response to why this only saves the Online services check boxes and not the Download transactions and balances.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Richard Valentine

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a resolution.

The "Apply" button should be saving the account selections so each account does not have to be re-selected each time an update is performed.

We have received reports from some Users that the boxes do not stay selected even after clicking the "Apply" button, which would indicate a bug, except that this feature works as designed for most Users which does indicate more of a personal set-up or data file issue.

For the Users who are affected by this issue, we are investigating further, but may I ask, do you use the Password Vault feature in Quicken?

If so, please delete the password vault and recreate it.  I would also recommend printing the password vault before deleting, that way you have all the login information for each Financial Institution to recreate the vault.

1.  Go to the Tools menu > Password Vault > Add or Edit Passwords and click the Printer Icon in the lower left corner to print the login credentials.
        2.  Click Done and go back to the Tools menu > Password Vault and select "Delete Vault and all Saved Passwords"
        3.  Click Yes to confirm we would like to delete the vault.
        4.  Close and re-open Quicken (this forces a refresh of the data to ensure the changes are retained)
        5.  With Quicken open again, go back to the Tools menu > Password Vault > Set up new Password Vault and re-enter the password information.

Once all the passwords have been re-entered, the accounts should stay selected in the One Step Update Settings window, but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah

• Sarah,

I followed the steps you outlined below.  I then exited the application, reopened Quicken, selected all accounts, selected Apply and then selected Update Now.  After the update was done, I reopened the update and no accounts were selected.  This solution did not work.

I have had Quicken since 1996 and have upgraded with every new version.  Sometime near version 18, this issue presented itself.  I believe this issue is a bug and is a result of changes to the update process. Perhaps there is a file where the accounts information and update specifications is still present and/or not upgrade appropriately.

Let me know if you need any further information or if you another solution to try.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi @Richard Valentine

Have you performed Validate and Repair located within File Operations under File?

You might have a problem with the Data File, itself, that only a New Quicken Data File will fix to your liking.
  • I have done that several times. I have tried a new file without success. It would appear that I am not the only one with this issue. Quicken should be able to address this issue. 
  • I just tried creating a new file and downloading 12 account from 3 financial institutions.

The Apply does work with the new file.

The downloads do not go back far enough.  I have so much history (transactions) that are not downloaded and this is not acceptable.

I encourage you to continue pursuing a resolution.  As Sarah stated above, I am not the only one with this issue.

Thanks,

Richard
    Hi @Richard Valentine

Thank you for trying those steps and posting back with the updated information, although I apologize that the issue is persisting.

For some Users, deleting and recreating the vault has resolved this issue, since it did not for you, I'd like to make one more attempt.

Please delete the password vault again.  Once deleted, go to the File menu > File Operations > Copy and create a copy of the data file, opening the copied file when completed.

In the copied file, go back to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair and run the validation once again on the copy.  Closing and re-opening Quicken once completed.

Then add one password back to the vault, any changes in behavior?

Please let us know, thanks again!

Sarah
  • I did all the steps you outlined.  The tried copying the data file and received the following message.

I performed a validate and repair, then I deled the password on the file itself and removed all the online setups on the accounts so that when I went to performed an update, no accounts were listed.

After that I tried to copy the file and received the same error message.

Thanks for your assistance. Do you have any other suggestions?

Richard
    Hi @Richard Valentine

Thank you for trying, the "File Not Copied" error usually happens when Quicken hits data in the file during the copy process that is broken or can't be read correctly.

This is probably what is preventing the One Step Update from remembering the selected accounts.

Please try to copy the file once more and when the "file not copied" error appears, hold down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard and click on the "OK" button.

It should override the error message and continue with copying the remainder of the file information, but please let me know how it goes :)

Sarah

I just tried creating a new file and downloading 12 account from 3 financial institutions.

The Apply does work with the new file.

The downloads do not go back far enough.  I have so much history (transactions) that are not downloaded and this is not acceptable.

I encourage you to continue pursuing a resolution.  As Sarah stated above, I am not the only one with this issue.

Thanks,

Richard
    Hi @Richard Valentine

Solution:

When you get a File Not Copied Message, repeat the process and watch the copying of the file. It tells you exactly why it failed. So go to the actual Transaction in question and look at it.Is the transaction, is it suppose to have an Attachment? (That's an example.) If so, then attempt to view that Transaction Attachment. If you can't, re-create the Transaction and delete the bad Transaction. This is one of the reasons, why you can't copy the file.

However, make sure that you manually make a Manual Backup, prior to beginning and a Manual Backup, after fixing the file.
  • I tried the following as stated above and it does not do anything

"Please try to copy the file once more and when the "file not copied" error appears, hold down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard and click on the "OK" button.

It should override the error message and continue with copying the remainder of the file information, but please let me know how it goes "

It does the same a just clicking on OK without the Ctrl + Shift keys.
    I don't know about this key sequence, but sometimes it is left or right specific.