Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

BOTH our insurance premium payments have same date & amount. How do I get Quicken to GET both?

There is a problem with Quicken 2017 when Updating All Online Accounts.  My spouse and I have the exact same insurance premiums withdrawn on the exact same dates.  ONLY their "Reference Number"s are DIFFERENT but Quicken only brings in ONE of them.  They are NOT duplicates.

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I suspect you won't be able to do anything about this.

I, as others, have seen problems like this where two (or more) identical transactions on the same day cause only a single instance to be imported. What is likely happening is related to how the bank (or their service provider) is generating transaction IDs.

Each downloaded transaction is issued an ID by the bank: if the ID in unique, Quicken imports. If Quicken has seen the ID before, it rejects to avoid duplicates. Simple.

Different banks use different methods to create this unique ID. And, the way some do it allow two unique transactions to be issued the same ID. Hence, only one instance gets imported into Quicken.

If you are really curious, you could check your logs to verify. Assuming that both transactions have cleared and are being presented by the bank, I think you will see this is the issue.
  • Their Reference Numbers(17 characters) differ in the LAST 3 characters only.  Possibly Quicken truncates them or doesn’t use them at all?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    IF a duplicated transaction ID is the cause, the only way you could really prove is by looking at your log to see how they are formatting things. The <FITID> is the key you would be looking for.

Whether or not they use the reference # as part of it-I don't know your/their particular details. That sounds more like a direct connect setup. 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Quicken for Windows user.
    What works best for me is to use distinct Payee Names for payments to the same company, e.g.
    ACME Insurance {Car}
    ACME Insurance {Home}
    The payment transactions are set up in Quicken as scheduled transaction reminders, with proper categories and memo texts.
    A few days before due date the transactions are recorded into the checking account register.
    When the check clears the bank a few days later, Quicken is able to match the downloaded transaction to the already existing register transaction so, when I accept the downloaded transaction, there won't be a problem.
    You might be able to achieve the same thing in Q Mac. Set up register transactions with distinct Payee Names for your needs and record them before downloading.
    If Quicken can't properly match the downloaded transaction to your existing register transaction, it should leave you with a flagged transaction ... might look like a duplicate, but you can drag the downloaded transaction over the proper register transaction and solve that issue.
This discussion has been closed.