Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Display/UI (Mac)

My Quicken window is too large! (Q Mac)

Richard HolubRichard Holub Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Display/UI (Mac)
I have discussed this matter in the past with members on this board.  My Quicken program takes up about 2/3 of my MacBook Pro screen and it makes it difficult to keep my online bank account window visible at the same time.  I was hoping that some technician could make it so that the user (me) could adjust the size.  Other uses would also benefit :-)
Tagged:
5 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you're using a 13" MBP? On my 15" MBP, I can shrink it down to about 1/2 the screen width and height.

Here's one trick... open the register in its own window by double clicking in the sidebar. Then close the main window. The register-only window can be sized smaller than the main window.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, with the latest version 5.11 update to Quicken 2019, you can now adjust font size in addition to row spacing in your register -- so if you can tolerate smaller text, you can make the text smaller and narrow your columns in order to shrink your overall window size.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs
    I think the OP's issue is that no matter how few columns or how small the font, Quicken will only allow a certain minimum pixel width for the windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    Well, without a complete redesign of the user interface of Quicken -- which isn't about to happen -- about all that can be done is trying to make things as compact as possible to maximize the available screen real estate.

I use Quicken mainly on an iMac with a large screen, but I do do testing on a 13" MacBook Pro. And I find I am able to reduce the size of the window so I can see it and something else (like this forum), at the same time. You don't get to see a lot of transactions at once, but it's workable.
  • szzzszzz Member ✭✭
    add me to the 'disgust' column on this issue
    macbook 12" qmac user since 2017, operated
    without screen grab that ver 15.3 brought quite
    well, now I've lost ability to resize smaller than
    9/10ths of screen display of 12-inch (2304 x 1440)

other software will allow resizing to half screen
    width wise, safari, firefox, word, excel, music &
    photos seem the have limits but still only take
    ~6/10ths of screen, meaning useful area to see
    other open apps at same time!

this is a deal breaker for me, likely will move on
    to other solutions if it's not addressed!
    @szzz Did you vote? Your comments are fine, but what really help is VOTES. Under the first post above, there's a big blue box for voting and status of an Idea thread; click the little gray triangle under the vote counter, and you should see the vote go up by oe and the arrow turn from gray to black.
  • wclinewcline Member
    I voted. It's frustrating to reduce the font and column size to the point of near illegibility while being unable to reduce the wasted white space on the right.
    Poor design.