Switching from Money Sunset to Quicken Deluxe

Before I start this process I was looking for some feedback about whether I should bother trying to import transaction history (Money user since 2005) or just opening balances and continue using Money to review history?  I have both USD and CAD bank and investment accounts so am anticipating issues with the historical data importing correctly.  I really would like to have at least the investment accounts historical information for capital gains reports.  Anyone with past experience or suggestions?

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    edited March 9
    About ten years ago as MS was pulling the plug on Money there was a wave of users migrating to Quicken. The conversion utility at that time was not perfect and a number of issues came up. There was also the learning curve between the two products. Intuit responded and adopted a number of Money features to help users adapt.
    My advice (and I'm know there will be opposite viewpoints) would be be leave Money as is without bringing over the history. Use it for archive and look-ups and start fresh with Quicken. Quicken was designed to step a user through the process of setting up accounts, categories, budgets and such. By stepping through all of this, you learn and understand how Quicken works and is intended to be used.
    By migrating data from Money using the conversion utility you step into a fully populated data file without really knowing how to setup or change the structure and settings. Just my $.02.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    Before I start this process I was looking for some feedback about whether I should bother trying to import transaction history (Money user since 2005) or just opening balances and continue using Money to review history?
    What's your thinking for now migrating over to Quikcen ?

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • My biggest frustrations are not being able to download the stock prices to make investment decisions and I would like to download transactions from my broker account.  Manually posting all those transactions is very time consuming. I love Money except for that.
  • GeoffG said:
    About ten years ago as MS was pulling the plug on Money there was a wave of users migrating to Quicken. The conversion utility at that time was not perfect and a number of issues came up. There was also the learning curve between the two products. Intuit responded and adopted a number of Money features to help users adapt.
    My advice (and I'm know there will be opposite viewpoints) would be be leave Money as is without bringing over the history. Use it for archive and look-ups and start fresh with Quicken. Quicken was designed to step a user through the process of setting up accounts, categories, budgets and such. By stepping through all of this, you learn and understand how Quicken works and is intended to be used.
    By migrating data from Money using the conversion utility you step into a fully populated data file without really knowing how to setup or change the structure and settings. Just my $.02.
    Thank you for your input. I had visions of spending weeks and hours sorting out the mess I made with the import and that is a valid point about figuring out how to use the program.  It will just be awkward going back and forth.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    You can always mix up the approaches... create a new file to access the learning on how to use Quicken but also perform a migration to a separate file to actually retain and use your old data. 

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • MarcRMarcR Member
    Does your broker account have the ability to download transactions into Quicken?  I know mine (TD Wealth) only allows security information via Quicken but not transactions.  I hit them up every few weeks to get them to incorporate Quicken ASAP!
    It's a pain entering everything manually but I AM getting used to it....sort of. lol.
This discussion has been closed.