Home Before you Buy
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Multiple users possible for small non-profit group?

I have been a user of Quicken Home & Business since the mid-1990's  Currently using 2016 version of the same.  Last year I became Treasurer of a small non-profit organization.  Naturally it was easy for me to create a Quicken file on my computer for this organization.  However, we would now like for others (Chair, etc.) to have access to our books.  If the organization bought a Deluxe subscription, could this be installed on more than one computer - or via the web by multiple users?

Best Answers

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Quicken data file is not designed to be shared across multiple users.
    If you MUST have multi-user shared access, with more than one person working on your data at the same time, I recommend you convert to a fully featured accounting software package which also supports multi-user access.
    Quickbooks from Intuit comes to mind, but please do your homework first and research which of the available PC, server or online-on-the-web - based products best meet your needs.

QuickBooks Products

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/

QuickBooks Support Community

https://community.intuit.com/products/quickbooks-help-en-us

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited March 2019
    @RichRambo, what type of accounts does the non-profit have?
    Because with a newer Q product (Q Win 2019), you could put much (if not all) of the data on the web and the Chair could view it that way.
    But, only certain types of accounts can currently be uploaded to Q's website.
    But I agree that Quickbooks MIGHT be a better product for your non-profit
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UKR - thank you but this is a small organization with relatively few accounts - donations from several sources and some expenses to be tracked.  And maybe an occasional fund raising "special event" to be tracked. Having used QB's online for about 10 years (with a business I previously owned) I had thought about that (for the online interaction). But for this purpose QB's would truly be far more than we need.  And your answer helped me to clarify.  We don't actually need multiple people accessing and making entries at the same time.  The Treasurer is actually only one who needs to be making entries.  However, it would be good if others could review account balances etc. from time to time. Thanks again!
  • NotACPA - there are maybe six+ different "income" categories (types of donations based on source)  to be tracked and maybe a dozen or so ongoing expenses (no payroll).  Plus there will be an occasional "special event" fundraiser that would also need to be accounted for.  And in responding to UKR, I realized the need to clarify:  Only the Treasurer needs to be inputting transactions.  However, it would be good if the Chair and/or others officers could login and get a quick update on account balances, etc without having to email or call me (current Treasurer).   Sounds like Q 2019, with it's web view might work?
    @RichRambo thanks for the add'l info ... but what I asked about is ACCOUNTS, not Categories.  Only certain account types can be uploaded to the web in QW2019.
  • NotACPA -- sorry about that.  There is actually only one (checking) account.  Thanks!
  • NotACPA - First, thanks for the warning.  I understand.  In fact in all the many years I've used Q H&B, I've NEVER let Q do automatic updates from my bank accounts.  I've always done manual downloads and then loaded into Q.  Don't think I'd plan to change that now <grin>.    Back to the non-profit:   Truth be told, taking a Q report into a PDF would probably work for right now.  Chair and I have a good working relationship and communicate often.  Part of my "dilemma" is that when I became treasurer, I was the 4th treasurer in 3 years and there has never been a consistent bookkeeping system.  Every treasurer was left to their own devices. As a result, I received a cardboard box of papers (passed along from one prior treasurer), 1 plastic shopping bag of papers from another prior treasurer, and an accordion file of papers from the 3rd.  Thus part of my goal is to get a system in place.  Something digital to eliminate much of the paper; and something easy to use that will be a consistent bookkeeping system for the next treasurer and beyond. You've been a big help!  I do think this could work (and at relatively low cost if I take advantage of current sale)  Thanks! 
  • splasher -- thank you!  Between your answer and the info from NotACPA, I'm becoming fairly confident that this could really work for our needs.  Thanks again!
    @RichRambo I was in a similar situation about 9 years ago.  I got the checkbook and checkbook register, and not much else.  You may have gotten more into than I did.
    I set up standardized Income/Expense reports, and the Asset/liabilities report and presented them at each meeting of my "Executive Committee"/Board.
    They had never before seen actual categories for our income and expense ... and they've never asked for add'l info since.
    I'm no longer the Treasurer, I'm now the President, and my current Treasurer uses different software ... but I keep a "parallel set" of books, because I can download from our checking account in to my copy of Q.  Should another Treasurer take over at some point in the future, I can just hand my copy of the Q data file over to them.
    And, with only a checking account, you might consider getting the NP to purchase a copy of Q Deluxe. DON"T BUY STARTER, as it becomes read-only if/when the subscription expires. 
    Shop around, eBay, WalMart, Amazon, etc usually have better pricing, and terms, than does Q itself.
This discussion has been closed.