Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Two accounts at Fidelity NetBenefits - only one showing

I recently changed employer and both used Fidelity for my 401k.  I only see my previous employers account, and when I try to add a new account, this is the only one that shows up. I tried deleting the account too and re-connecting, but it did not work.  Is this a Fidelity issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• kleppklepp Member ✭✭
    Gold. I'll try calling them tomorrow
  • kleppklepp Member ✭✭
    No dice. They could not figure it out. Sometimes 401k could be blocked, but they confirmed it was not. Looks like a bug somewhere between Fidelity and Quicken that can't be solved.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    klepp said:
    No dice. They could not figure it out. Sometimes 401k could be blocked, but they confirmed it was not. Looks like a bug somewhere between Fidelity and Quicken that can't be solved.
    Hello @klepp

Are you receiving an error message or code when attempting to activate the new 401k account in Quicken?

If no errors are being received, are both 401k accounts connected with the same Username and Password in Fidelity?  Meaning, if you log into the Fidelity website, can you see the account activity for both accounts under the same login credentials?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • kleppklepp Member ✭✭
    No error message - it simply just shows one account, which is the one I have connected.  The login details are the same. 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    klepp said:
    No error message - it simply just shows one account, which is the one I have connected.  The login details are the same. 
    Do those login details, into NetBenefits, allow you to see BOTH accounts?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also.... how long ago did you change jobs - is there any activity to the new acct ?
    and the key, as has been asked - do you see BOTH accounts when you log into the Fidelity Net Benefits website with your single Fidelity ID ?

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • kleppklepp Member ✭✭
    Changed jobs nearly 10 months ago.  Yes, there is activity on the new account and yes, I see both when logging in to NetBenefits
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    As a test, try creating a new data file and setting up the new account.  There has been an ongoing issue for what seems like a decade where spouses with the same employer cannot access both of their accounts at NetBenefits. I wonder if this could be a hybrid of that issue?
    As a test, try creating a new data file and setting up the new account.  There has been an ongoing issue for what seems like a decade where spouses with the same employer cannot access both of their accounts at NetBenefits. I wonder if this could be a hybrid of that issue?
    But that issue arises from the common employer being the legal owner of the NetBenefits accounts, with the employee spouses being the Beneficiaries.
    In the OP's scenario, it would seem that there are 2 different legal owners ... so this hybrid theory seems to be a bit of a stretch.
    Not much more of a stretch than the unconfirmed legal owner theory.  Multiple older posts indicated that setting up the accounts simultaneously sometimes worked. Thus the new data file test.
    " unconfirmed legal owner theory. "  BULL.... Look at a statement for a 401k.  It shows that the individual is the BENEFICIARY ... not the owner. 

NotACPA said:
    " unconfirmed legal owner theory. "  BULL.... Look at a statement for a 401k.  It shows that the individual is the BENEFICIARY ... not the owner. 

I'm not disputing ownership. But that fact has no verified causal effect on the issue at hand. Correlation proving causation; a first principle logical fallacy.
    SO, you come up with a theory as to why 401k for married spouses with the same employer have the problem that they have. 
    AND, your theory must include why disabling one such account from download and enabling the other works.
    AND, your theory must include why this only applies to 401k/403b/etc type accounts.  There's no issue with my wife and I both having Taxable and IRA type accounts at Fidelity.
    NotACPA said:
    SO, you come up with a theory as to why 401k for married spouses with the same employer have the problem that they have. 
    AND, your theory must include why disabling one such account from download and enabling the other works.
    AND, your theory must include why this only applies to 401k/403b/etc type accounts.  There's no issue with my wife and I both having Taxable and IRA type accounts at Fidelity.
    I'll give it a shot-

1. Nothing in the OFX standard precludes a user with multiple accounts in a 401k or multiple users (spouses) with separate Iogon  credentials from downloading 401k data consistent with the OFX specification.

2. Fidelity or its contractor lack the knowledge and/or experience to build an interface and/or construct an OFX file for the use cases listed in Step 1.  Given that this issue has persisted for a decade or more, there does not appear to be any level of urgency or desire on the part of Fidelity to resolve it.

http://www.ofx.net/
  • kleppklepp Member ✭✭
    I tried setting up an entirely new Quicken file. Same result, it will only add my old 401(k) account, and it's the only one that shows up.
This discussion has been closed.