Account Disaster: 4000 duplicate transactions

Hello everyone,

I have managed to mess up one of  my bank accounts in Quicken 2016. I had some notion of correcting an old bank account that had lost all of its data prior to 2011. So I exported the old data from an old backup and imported it from a QIF file. This left me with 4107 transactions to accept into the register.

I then decided that this was crazy and wanted to bail on the entire import. Unfortunately I could not get rid of the QIF file transactions waiting to be accepted. I searched here and found a work-around someone described which entailed accepting the transactions, sorting by date uploaded, and then deleting all the newly entered transactions. The problem, I discovered, was that there was no way to sort the transactions by date uploaded. As such, all the accepted transactions are duplicated next to the original transactions. The only way I can think to remove them is to manually delete 4107 duplicate transactions that start in 2001. :(

So this account is truly messed up and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it. Advice would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Best course of action is to restore prior to making the error (assuming this is recent).
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • teendocteendoc Member ✭✭
    Hello GeoffG: Unfortunately the last backup I have is from March of 2018 and it still has the 4000 entries from the QIF file waiting to be accepted. I'd have to go back to something from 2017 to find a backup before I imported the QIF file and that would certainly require a lot of work on the front end to get up to date. Normally I am very conscientious about backups, but last year was a bit of a mess.
    Rocket J Squirrel: I didn't know to look there for the sorting order! I was looking for it in the wrong place. I will check this out later to see if this works. Thank you!
    Unfortunately sorting by order entered did not order my 4107 transactions by the date they were accepted into the register. That leaves me back to square one. 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn. I thought that would work. May I meekly ask whether you accidentally chose "Date / Order Entered" instead?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
    Darn. I thought that would work. May I meekly ask whether you accidentally chose "Date / Order Entered" instead?
    No, I did exactly what you posted above. 😞
    I had to circle back and let Rocket J Squirrel know that for some reason, after I ran a validate and repair on the account, I was finally able to sort by date entered and delete the 4000 entries! Thanks so much for your help. No idea why it didn't work the first time I tried.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    @teendoc , thanks for coming back and letting us know it worked.
    Now, you have another task to perform to finish this job. When you delete items in Quicken, they are not removed from the database, but for speed, they are simply marked deleted.
    What you should do now is File > File Operations > Copy to create a new copy of your data file. Unlike any other type of Copy operation, this one actually lifts the records out of the database and drops them into fresh new data tables, leaving deleted items behind. Do this and you should see the size of the new copy to be smaller than the old file.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.