Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Autocategorize downloaded transactions

This discussion was created from comments split from: Quicken for Mac v5.11 Released.

Comments

• I am new to Quicken in general and just downloaded 5.11.0 yesterday and imported a bunch of transactions.  How can I set certain vendors to auto categorize to whatever I change them to after they import?  It's making me crazy...I spent hours yesterday recategorizing a million transactions just to import new ones today from the same places and they show up with the same categories as what I had changed them from yesterday.  

I really need it to memorize what I changed it too for future imports or this is useless to me as it takes hours to correct each one over and over.

Thanks so much for any help!  I've tried googling and everyone just talks about choosing to memorize the transaction, but I don't appear to have that functionality.  

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac at this time does not have the feature of memorizing a transaction -- but the developers have indicated this is coming in the future.

The way Quicken Mac works is that it essentially 'memorizes' the latest transaction for each Payee. If you were to manually create a new transaction and type any Payee name, Quicken will auto-fill the amount, category(ies), memo, etc. with the last-used values for that Payee.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help when you're downloading transactions rather than entering them manually.

There is supposed to be a way to get Quicken to 'learn' how you want to categorize transactions for a Payee: enter a transaction manually, then download the transaction from your bank, and if Quicken doesn't auto-match them, drag the dowloaded one over the manual-entered one, and Quicken will merge them and remember for the next time this Payee has a downloaded transaction. (Note that simply editing a downloaded transaction does not create this behind-the-scenes 'learning' for the next time.)

Well, that's the way it's supposed to work, and it pretty much did for quite awhile, but many users are reporting problems with categorization of downloaded transactions in recent months. I believe the developers broke something in the code a few updates ago as they move towards a new architecture for auto-categorization. The Quicken product manager has said that some significant new features are coming in the next two months, and while we don't know what that means, there's a reasonable chance that this is an area that will be addressed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, auto categorization in QM 2019 is the area in most desperate need of improvement. It does seem to have gotten worse with one or more recent updates and I hope that jacobs is correct that this is due to changes being made that will bring improvement in the end. It should remember changes I have made and also be account specific. Fixes have been promised for a long time. I hope we will see at least some improvement soon.

One small example: I buy a ticket on NJ Transit. It appears on my credit card as NJT Mobil. Over and over again QM has auto categorized the payee as "T-Mobile". I keep changing it to NJ Transit and QM keeps downloading as T-Mobile.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @RCinNJ If you uncheck "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" in Quicken preferences, you can stop Quicken from renaming the Payee. But I don't know if solving that problem will introduce others for you…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993