Quicken 2004 won't access my secondary drive

Still using Quicken 2004.  I know, it's old.

Ksed it on my old Windows XP computer until XP became too old and slow to be usable.  Recently upgraded to Windows 10.   Quicken seems to run well on Win10 for the most part.  

However, because Windows 10 crashed, I was told the only way to save my data was to demote my C: drive to a secondary drive.  A solid state drive was installed as a new C: and a fresh Windows 10 installed on it.  The old hard drive became F:.  My data on it is still accessible.

I am able to back up Quicken files to the C: drive just fine.  I thought it would be a good idea to also back up to the F: drive, but Quicken won't access F:.  It gives me a error message saying, F: is not ready or write protected.  However, F: is easily accessible via Windows Explorer.

Any thought why I can't access my F: drive?

My equipment:
HP Compaq Elite 8200 SFF 
Intel Core i7-2600
8 GB RAM
C: Samsung SSD    250 Gig
F: conventional HD      2 TB

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14
    Quicken never has been network friendly. While F: is not necessarily a network drive, Q2004 may have trouble recognizing it. It may be possible to reassign F: to "D:" (quotes used to keep D: from displaying) and have better success, but I cannot say for certain.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder you're trying to use for backup on drive F:? Have you reformatted drive F:?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • EldritchEldritch Member
    Thanks for the above responses.  Still trying to make this work.

My Quicken is 2004 Release R 1

My Windows Version is 
         Windows 10  Home   Version 1809
         installed 1/30/19
         OS Build  17763.475

The path I'm attempting to save to is 
       F:\Documents\Quicken Backup
        F: is my secondary hard drive
  • EldritchEldritch Member
    Also:
    "Very, Very Important!!!! Please inform us, how you installed Quicken, from a Download or using the CD / PC Disk. "

I installed Quicken from a CD.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Eldritch ,

Go to: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Download the Quicken 2004 R3, R4 and R5 and install them in order.

Please remember that Quicken 2004 was written way before Windows 10 operating system, came out.

Quicken 2004 may not run properly in Windows 10.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP