Quicken Backup blocked by Win10 Controlled Folder Access

Just started having trouble today using Quicken Backup (2019 subscription R18.15 build 27.1.18.15) running Win 10 Home (v1809 update 2/3/19 build 17763.378).  The problems disappears when I turn off "Controlled Folder Access" feature in Windows Security.  (Not sure why this just started when I have used this security feature now for several weeks without problems and no known new updates in the last few days.) This feature allows one to add the address of applications that it blocks and my question is what quicken applications should i should add to circumvent this block.  This feature seems to suggest it will tell you which app it blocked to ease this process but I don't receive any notification of the blocked application but it clearly is the source of the problem since turning off the feature resolves the problem.  I could just turn this feature off permanently or when needed but I am hoping someone has a workaround so that I can resume my frequent backups and retain the additional purported ransomware protection of this Windows security feature.

So far I have added the following apps with their locations to the Controlled Folder Access app and none have allowed me to circumvent the apparent bock that occurs:
QuickenOLBackupLauncher.exe
quickenPatch.exe
qw.exe
in C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

Thanks for considering.

Best Answer

Answers

• markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    I believe the Event is logged in Windows Event Viewer, Application and Service Logs, Microsoft, Windows Defender,  Operational log.  That should tell you what app was blocked so you can add it to the exception list.
  • YeomanYeoman Member
    Thank you Marcus1957.  Sorry for slow response.  I am unfamiliar the use of Event Viewed.  I also tried this unsuccessfully once before for the same issue with another program.  I am able to drill down to the Operational log as you suggest but then I frankly don't know what to look for or how to find the programs that is apparently triggering the Controlled File Access block.  How do I do that or can you point me to a resource so that I can learn how to use the Event Viewer effectively?