Why is my financial institution account being accessed while I am offline?

my finical institution shows that account was accessed while i offline. Chatting with the the bank representative he stated they have been having this problem other quicken users. Have any other users noticed this, if so how do we prevent it?
After the conversation with the bank rep. I changed my log in ID and password, reset it quicken and did a one time set up for quick updates, this was completed by 9 p.m.  I turned my pc off and went to bed. My bank account was again accessed at 4:30 A.M.  the next morning with data being downloaded buy no other action. (my pc was off so it was not my pc. - the bank history tracks the type system that access the account, and it was not the same system that shows up when I access the account.)

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks for the answer.
    The answer was good for the first part of the question. Now that I know quicken is doing this, how do i or can i do one step update without quicken web connect connecting to my account on its own. I do not want quicken or any other program connecting to my banks from any other source than my own P.C. 
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You will need to go to the Account List and deactivate any account that does not support Direct Connect. So if it lists EWC, that account will need to be deactivated. That also means that account will need to be maintained by way of manual input.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • So one step update only works if want to let quicken access our accounts, store our account information on their servers, hence increasing the risk of a cyber breach and our account information being stolen. 
    That is not the quicken program I thought I bought and paid for.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    "That is not the quicken program I thought I bought and paid for. "   Well, it is.
    That is ALWAYS how EWC has worked. 
    "Direct Connect" and "Web Connect" don't work that way ... So if you don't want Q to act upon YOUR instructions to connect to your bank/card/broker/etc and download those transactions ... then quit using EWC.
    BTW, after 25+ years of using EWC for some of my accounts, I've NEVER experienced a data breach on those accounts ... nor has anyone else who has used EWC on their accounts.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • From this reply I think we have a misunderstanding.  In the reply it is stated "f you don't want Q to act upon YOUR instructions to connect to your bank/card/broker/etc and download those transactions ... then quit using EWC."
    I have no problem having Quicken  connecting to my accounts WHEN I TELL IT TO - The problem is Quicken connecting to my accounts on their own at times that I am not even on line!
    The reason Quicken servers perform a transaction update when using EWC is due to performance metrics. If you have half a dozen or more accounts that use EWC, users would find the time to update transactions during a session to be unacceptable. The data on Quicken Inc. servers is encrypted. You may find this article of some use.
    BTW if you are using Dropbox for your backups, you are far more at risk as those files are not encrypted.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    clintdunn said:
    From this reply I think we have a misunderstanding.  In the reply it is stated "f you don't want Q to act upon YOUR instructions to connect to your bank/card/broker/etc and download those transactions ... then quit using EWC."
    I have no problem having Quicken  connecting to my accounts WHEN I TELL IT TO - The problem is Quicken connecting to my accounts on their own at times that I am not even on line!
    YOU have told Q to collect your data.  YOU agreed to connect your FI to Q using EWC.  If you didn't understand what YOU were agreeing to, then you have no one to blame but YOURSELF.
    Just quit using EWC and your problem goes away.  It's entirely YOUR choice.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
This discussion has been closed.