Used Quicken Home Inventory for years. Now can't enter or even reach details. QHI just closes. Fix?

Have used Quicken Home Inventory for years. Now can't enter or even reach details.  QHI just closes and screen goes back to whatever was open last. Any ideas what's going on and how I can fix it?

Best Answers

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21
    There is no and probably never will be a fix. The solution is not not use the detail view. Most other if not all functions seem to work but detail view. This product is some 20 years old and has never been updated since initial release.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using the embedded version that comes with Quicken you can try this.
    Make sure you are using the Classic view.
    Make sure Quicken is closed before you do the following.

Look for the QHI.exe on your computer.
    Example: Windows 10 (on mine) location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

Right click the exe and pick Properties.
    Pick Run as Admin
    If that does not work try
    Click on Compatibility Mode and pick Windows 7 in the drop down for Run as...

Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    @jl747 Have you actually been able to access Detail view with this work around? I tried various compatibility modes and run as admin to no avail. App will always crash when accessing only this view.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    No problems opening or viewing Detail View.
    The only other thing I can suggest is to get an alternative Home Inventory software like Attic Manager.

I do use it as a backup.
    It will import your QHI file.
    Note that after it is imported you will have to clean it up a bit.

You did not mention which version of Quicken you are using nor what Windows OS you have.
    Plus is this the embedded version or stand alone version of QHI.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link provided is how to install, not reinstall.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    The link provided is how to install, not reinstall.
    Just run it. AFAIK, it will reinstall right on top of what's already there, and hopefully fix what's broken.
    UKR said:
    Just run it. AFAIK, it will reinstall right on top of what's already there, and hopefully fix what's broken.
    Just run what? I already have QHI installed. I've used it for years. I've seen a few postings about Detail view crashing so I looked into it and found it crashes for me as well. I was not aware until today that there is no issue with "certain" installations. So Detail view works for you without crashing also?
    Look for your QHI.exe on your computer and double click it.
    On mine it is at  C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken
    On Windows 10 (on mine) location

Windows 10 Pro 1903
    @jl747 thanks for your input, but you haven't answered my question. Do you successfully access Detail view? I do not have an issue with installing or running QHI.
    GeoffG said:
    @jl747 thanks for your input, but you haven't answered my question. Do you successfully access Detail view? I do not have an issue with installing or running QHI.
    As I mentioned above. No problems opening or viewing Detail View.

I will add this, I can add a new item without any problems.

I also created a shortcut so that I can access it without opening Quicken.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    Now you have me curious. I thought this was a global issue, but seems to be isolated. I've tried every compatibility setting and still no joy. The app is perfectly usable without this view, but I wonder what is the setting that makes it crash.
    I just found an old note I had.
    See if you have Windows Update KB4467702 (November 2018) installed.
    If you do, uninstall it and see what happens.
    If that works you might have to stop Windows from reinstalling it and or update to Windows 10 1809.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Now you have me curious. I thought this was a global issue, but seems to be isolated. I've tried every compatibility setting and still no joy. The app is perfectly usable without this view, but I wonder what is the setting that makes it crash.
    Hi @GeoffG

I can also access and add new items to the Detail View with no crash in both US and CA versions.

There is a known, reported issue with the most recent QWIN 2019 CA version where data cannot be sent to Quicken, results in a no accounts created error message, but the crash in the Detail View should be fixed for all Users.

Just as @jl747, I installed QHI from the
    C:\Program Files(x86)\QuickenQuickenHomeInventory.exe pathway

If you are still experiencing the crash, what version and release of Quicken are you using?

Thanks,

Sarah

"If you are still experiencing the crash, what version and release of Quicken are you using?"

jl747 said:
    I just found an old note I had.
    See if you have Windows Update KB4467702 (November 2018) installed.
    If you do, uninstall it and see what happens.
    If that works you might have to stop Windows from reinstalling it and or update to Windows 10 1809.

Appreciate the update! Yes KB4467702 is installed and oddly enough in control panel, it is not one I can uninstall. If Sarah cannot provide a resolution I'll need to wait until 1809.
    edited March 22
    @jl747 Thanks for the links. Looks like the 1809 update for AMD is now available and preparing to install. Wish me luck?!? o:) Hopefully I still have files when it's done.
    Good luck.
    Hope you backed everything up. (Especially your Docs,data, etc)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    Through good timing, I have just completed the Windows 10 1809 update. Unfortunately, the same issue with QHI remains. I did notice that when using run as admin, that the view does change to Detail for a split second before crashing. The other compatibility settings crash instantly.

I do not know what else to say.
    I know I have probably been lucky that it does work for me.
    That is why I also use an alternative like Attic Manager for now.
    It is an old module that has never been updated.
    At one point they could have included or updated it look like the stand alone Quicken Home Inventory Manager.

Funny. The OP has never responded on whether they still have the problem.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
    edited March 23
    UKR said:
    Thanks for the link. While the article does not contain the install app, I finally scrolled past the QHI.exe and discovered the app further down. Ran the reinstall, but still doesn't resolve. Hopefully Sarah will have more to say.
  • WJCANDOWJCANDO Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all of the answers.  Very helpful ideas that I'm going to try.  Truth be told, if QHI has been around 20 years, I've probably been using it that long.  The detailed view -- where there's so much useful info -- always worked until recently.  In answer to questions above, W10 and the latest release of Quicken are on my computer.  The embedded version of QHI is on there too, though I imagine it was operating as standalone back when it was working right.)  I'll switch to a competing product if need be but I hope this works with some of the suggestions.  Thanks again.
  • WJCANDOWJCANDO Member ✭✭
    Adamia, unfortunately that's where I'm coming out too.  Most useful suggestion to date was to move to another product.  I'll see how that works.

• Tom GroveTom Grove Member ✭✭
    I too am a long time quicken user and have a large QHI database. I am totally frustrated by Quicken's failure to address this problem which has been reported by many users. 
  • Tom GroveTom Grove Member ✭✭
    I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 Build 17763.437. This update did not solve the Quicken Home Inventory Detail View abort problem.

• geraldharker1201geraldharker1201 Member
    edited May 30
     After recent Quicken 2019 update Home inventory would not update the QDF file. I would also get an Internal Error page associated with Quicken in the quick link toolbar.  When attempting the update a notification appears that says the QDF file is different from the one previously updated. After many attempts to get the program working correctly I gave up and reverted back to QW27.1.18.15MPatch. Problem solved. The most recent update has a serious error that screws up QHI. Needs to be fixed.