Used Quicken Home Inventory for years. Now can't enter or even reach details. QHI just closes. Fix?

13»

Answers

• rgornitskyrgornitsky Member ✭✭
    edited July 9
    I have had Quicken on Windows since version 1. [removed]

I have premier support. I was trying to report two major issues with home inventory that are both easily duplicated. The first was that application did not properly render in a modern laptop. Support provided a work-a-round which required me to change the application property files but did not record it as a bug. Why should a user have to change an applications property files to enable it to render?

Second was the home inventory crashes when you press the detail button. Rather then try to duplicate the problem, support spent 40 minutes trying to search the web for a work-a-round. [removed]

I had to hang up because I did not have any more time to wait while support tried to find a work-a-round. I asked them to report the problem but they refused.
  • ValderiValderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the "Home inventory", I know that the problem is reported.

For me, until it is fixed, I located the program icon and put it on the desktop. This way, you can still use the program home inventory and update your inventory BUT don't try to update with Q. It dosn't work.

I'm sure this problem will be fixed with an update of Q. 
    I hope it helps. 
  • rgornitskyrgornitsky Member ✭✭
    That is another problem with Home Inventory. Using home inventory directly does not help. Still crashes when you go into detail.
  • dave.moryasdave.moryas Member ✭✭
    :/ I have used Home Inventory for many years in the older version and never had any problems updating my Quicken net worth when exiting. With the new subscription model, Quicken says it needs an account associated with it! The QHI program launches OK and the values are as I had entered, but any changes are just not getting back into the main Quicken program. Also, the QHI font and display are showing their age!

Any suggestions, work-arounds or solutions in the offing?
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I followed that thread earlier and there is only a promise of a potential solution. I can reach the data and enter new items but it just won't update the main Quicken database.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    OK, thanks. Better than not having the information wasted. Will review the Home Inventory tool ...
    Thanks
  • Bayou WolfBayou Wolf Member
    Quicken Home Inventory error message when clicking on "Update Quicken."
    Two popups, 1st one states "The current quicken data file (xxx.QDF) is different than the file (xxx.QDF) you updated last time. Do you wish to continue?" (NOTE: Filenames identical.)
    2nd states "There are currently no accounts in your Quicken data file. Please create at least one account before attempting to send your Home Inventory data to Quicken."
    Also, on the Task Bar, there is a "SystemResouceNotify" icon that cannot be opened to display contents.
    Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, 16 GB memory, AMD Quad core processor.
  • RJRJ Member
    My Home Inventory software will no longer update my Quicken file. Get an error message that the account does not exist. Does anyone have knowledge of why the link between the two packages no longer works?
  • davidlambertdavidlambert Member ✭✭
    Every time I try to update Quicken after making changes to the Home Inventory file, I get an error that there are no accounts in my quicken data file and I need to create at least one account. There are several accounts already. What gives?
  • davidlambertdavidlambert Member ✭✭
    In addition there is an additional window open in the background that I can't remove without exiting the program via 'Task Manager.'
  • gweingwein Member
    I have a Windows 10 PC with an annual update subscription with Quicken. Earlier this year, when R19.44 was installed, I lost the ability to send transactions from Quicken to the QHI program. I uninstalled R19.44 and went back to version R18.16 in order to resolve this issue. I've been on R18.16 since, but have periodically let Quicken install more recent updates, but none of them so far have addressed the QHI issue. So, I end up going back to R18.16 which is what I'm operating right now. This has been frustrating and I'm wondering what kind of progress has been made to fix this problem?

I can jump to the QHI program in Quicken by selecting a transaction and clicking on the Home Inventory Manager under the Property & Debt menu selection. However, no popup shows up in QHI asking whether to accept the Quicken transaction into QHI. I also cannot Update Quicken from the QHI program nor can I go back to Quicken from QHI by selecting the Return to Qkn menu button in QHI.

Please advise when this issue will be addressed and fixed. I'd like to update my Quicken to the latest version, but can't do that right now because of this issue. And I'm sure that Quicken is continuing to update security settings as an ongoing process, but with me in R18.16, I'm not able to take advantage of any of these ongoing improvements.

Let me know if you need any additional info from me.

Thank you.
  • sbbryansbbryan Member ✭✭
    Having same issue with not being able to update quicken from QHI. Quicken has been working on it for some time. Please advise when it is fixed as it is an integral part of Quicken.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13
    sbbryan said:
    Having same issue with not being able to update quicken from QHI. Quicken has been working on it for some time. Please advise when it is fixed as it is an integral part of Quicken.
    Why do you believe Quicken has been working on this? The problem was reported, but never stated this was being addressed.
    This is a companion application developed by Intuit some time in the '90's, possible before that to enhance the user experience. The software was never updated during this time. Only now with the recent removal of .NET to the Quicken code is QHI completely broken.
    If you want a fix, you can run QHI separate of Quicken and generate a location and category report as PDF. You can then convert the PDF reports to text and import into Excel. Delete the QHI inventory account in Quicken and re-add the account for manual input.
    I update the XLS manually and use the new total to manually update Quicken.
    Alternatively, as stated above, you can purchase inventory software that can read a QHI file.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Including to what @GeoffG posted

Here is what I have done along with using Attic Manager.

I located the following files
    QHI.EXE
    QuickenHomeInventory.exe (installation file)
    QuickenHomeInventory.exe.manifest
    qhi.exe.config

I found these on my Windows 10 Pro @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

I created a folder to back up the files so that when Quicken
    removes these files I will have a copy to use as a stand alone.
    Note: stand alone up until it will not work on Windows 10.

To create a stand alone create a Desktop short cut of the QHI.exe.
    The rest is the same. Such as backing up and QHI.IDB.
    They can be left in the same folder as they are now. In my case under Documents.

As for Emergency Record Organizer. There is no data file to to copy since that is
    a part of your QDF file. (If anyone knows otherwise please post location - Thanks)
    Best to do is print a copy or export a Report as a xls.
    If it crashes when exporting look for the EmergencyRecordsOrganizer.exe
    in the same location as above. Make Compatible with Windows 7 with Quicken closed.
    It may not work the first time. If it still crashes reboot computer and try again.
    No guaranty it work for everyone.

If anyone has any other suggestions do not hesitate to mention them here.

Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
    FYI
    I just ran an update to Quicken using the internal path.
    Open Quicken then go to Help then to Check for Updates.
    Quicken downloaded and installed a fix the QHI.
    It was installed but I did not let it open just yet.
    After it installed I rebooted computer.
    Then I opened Quicken ran QHI the had it update Quicken.
    It worked without any errors.

Quicken should now be Version R21.16 .
    Build 27.1.21.16

Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • gweingwein Member
    I just checked my latest update available thru the Quicken internal path and discovered that it is R20.15 and not R21.16. So I do not have access to the update mentioned above. I will continue to monitor to see if that changes.

After seeing the comments about Quicken treating QHI as a "legacy" program with no intentions of keeping it up to date, I'm seriously thinking about moving all my QHI info into an Excel spreadsheet and then merely manually updating a new asset field in Quicken as needed. I'm disappointed that Quicken has chosen to just cut off the QHI feature without warning its customer base, or without providing the necessary tools to easily export/import the data in QHI.
    gwein said:
    I just checked my latest update available thru the Quicken internal path and discovered that it is R20.15 and not R21.16. So I do not have access to the update mentioned above. I will continue to monitor to see if that changes.

After seeing the comments about Quicken treating QHI as a "legacy" program with no intentions of keeping it up to date, I'm seriously thinking about moving all my QHI info into an Excel spreadsheet and then merely manually updating a new asset field in Quicken as needed. I'm disappointed that Quicken has chosen to just cut off the QHI feature without warning its customer base, or without providing the necessary tools to easily export/import the data in QHI.
    Go here to download R21.16. Make sure you pick the US version. If that is what you are using.
    Like I said in an above post I also use Attic Manager. It allows you to add pictures and export to csv.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jl747 said:

Like I said in an above post I also use Attic Manager. It allows you to add pictures and export to csv.

The same can be done in Excel (without the need to import) and if already owned, no added cost.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1909
    GeoffG said:
    jl747 said:

The same can be done in Excel (without the need to import) and if already owned, no added cost.
    I also have a spreadsheet of my inventory. But I use something that is really at no cost.
    I use LibreOffice.
    Nothing like redundancy. Yea, I am over doing but what the heck.
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • David ShafferDavid Shaffer Member ✭✭
    They fixed it !!! I am very excited. Did not think this would happen!!
  • gweingwein Member
    I noticed about 2-3 days ago that the update thru Quicken now listed version R21.16 as indicated above. I just downloaded it and tested it with QHI and it appears to be working fine. Excellent!

The only question remaining is whether Quicken still considers this a legacy program that they intend to phase out, or whether they intend to update it on a regular basis so that it continues to work with the Quicken program. It would be very helpful to know which direction Quicken is heading regarding their QHI program. If it's getting axed, the sooner us users know about that, the sooner we can make the necessary adjustments to how we keep track of our info. How can we get a direct answer from Quicken?

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input and help on this!
    It and ERO will probably still be considered as legacy.
    The fix was probably made before this recent announcement.
    So, I would not look for any more updates (fixes) in the future. (My opinion)
    Note that both have not been updated in a very long time. If ever.
    Just in case I would be using any of the work arounds posted here.

Windows 10 Pro 1903
This discussion has been closed.