Stocks have not downloaded since 3/18/19 [Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1]

Quicken 2017 Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1
Quicken updated itself on or about 3/18/19 the same date that the system stopped being able to download stock prices.  All the same messages flash/occur on the screen as before but the prices do not update.
Is this a know error with this build? 
Can you back out the build update? 
How to get Stock download to function again?
I still have a little over a year of my three years of online functionality  for this version that should function correctly.

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Your version is not due to sunset, that is not the issue. Can't say what the issue is, but see if you are able to download from Investing>Download Activity>Quotes.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1809
  • Thanks I knew that it should not have sunsetted but it is acting like it has post the last version/build update. 
    I tried your method which is one of three methods I know about to initiate an update and it had same result as the other two  (there maybe a fourth method I will have to go look as it vaguely seems that there is)..  Screen message boxes show that it is doing the update and downloading stocks but nothing comes down.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Your price history table may have become corrupted. Have you run a File Validate with the Correct investing price history option set?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1809
  • UKRUKR SuperUser

1) Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly.

What is the exact release number for your version of Quicken?
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are missing required software updates and, for older versions, possibly the required Intuit ID to Quicken ID conversion:

Quicken US version:

- 2016 ... Release R 19.3 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
    - 2017 ... Release R 19.1 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
    - 2018 ... users with an active subscription were upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 14.23 patch released 10/8/2018 or any later patch
    - 2019 ... Release R 18.15 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Quicken Canada version:

- 2016 ... Release R 7.2 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch
    - 2017 ... all users with an active subscription should have been upgraded to 2018 already
    - 2018 ... upgraded to 2019 when installing the R 15.24 patch or any later patch
    - 2019 ... Release R 16.18 *, https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

( * minimum required release number, may be higher, subject to change without notice)

Please do this even if you are on the latest release already:
    Locate the US or Canada Mondo Patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the links above.
    Download it and save it to disk.
    Open the Downloads folder. Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click "Run as Administrator" to execute the installation program.
    This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during installation as a cause of this issue.

Reboot Windows when done with the above and try Quicken again.

2) Validate

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019 repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

• GeoffG
    Thanks I tried it and no change.

UKR
    In the original post I included the version the build etc.
    I did download the mondo patch and reinstalled even though I already had the update.  I then did all the other steps you suggested as well.  No change.

I then found another thread below in which UKR had some comments.

As a result I did a "chat" with support.  They informed me that I had to buy 2019 as the policy has changed and they changed the sunset to two years effective immediately.  If true that is what that update must have done to me.  Maybe the support person was blowing smoke but that is what I was told.
    Now unless I can uninstall the update I am screwed.  I have been a Quicken user since Dec 1992.  If this is the way they are going to run the company I will need to find another software program. As much as I like Quicken I can't deal with dishonesty.

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    edited March 24
    That is absolutely NOT true. Your version will be completely functional until April of next year.

• I agree based on the posted information.  I also copy the chat info to a file for my records.  I guess I will have to wait until Monday and try to to talk on the phone.
    Here is the exchange with the typos that were made no editing.

Agent
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:44pm
    this id Dina
    how can i help yopu today?
    :)

Me
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:48pm
    For the past three days since my last update occurred I have not been able to download stock quotes.
    It appears that they are downloading, all the correct screens, but nothing actually downloads.
    Quicken 2017 Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1
    All the same messages flash/occur on the screen as before but the prices do not update.
    Is this a known error with this build?
    Can you back out the build update?
    How to get Stock download to function again?

Agent
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:49pm
    gime me amoment because i will have to serach for more info
    you will have to buy quicken 2019
    they have remove this feature form quicken 2017

Me
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:54pm
    Quicken 2017 does not sunset for three years. I should not lose this feature until 2020.

Agent
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:55pm
    they change the policies

Me
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:55pm
    No warning or information was provided that this was going to happen.

Agent
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:56pm
    sorry for the inconvenience

Me
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:57pm
    With the purchase of Quicken 2017 there is a contractual obligation to provide the services that were purchased and that was for three years.

Agent
    Mar 23, 2019, 2:57pm
    SR I CANT FIX IT
    IS POLICIES

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Did you contact Quicken support at the bottom of this link?
    That's not acceptable support.

• Yes via the chat link only.   That is the chat dialog I posted above.
    Phone support is only open Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific.
  • As an update tried another "chat".  New person concurs that I have until April 30 2020 for my sunset.
    After 2 hours and 54 minutes of "chat" back and forth it it still does not download stocks.  it also does not allow a download of new security information and does not allow the creation of new accounts with electronic download (everything is manual.

We created a completely new quicken file.

We uninstalled the entire s/w package and started over. 

The final comment was that they had no idea what was wrong and I should wait and try again on Monday.  A comment that my service provider might not be connecting to their server.  It is apparently a different server than the update server or the support server.  On the reinstall the s/w automatically updated itself to the 19.1 version which is where this all started.  I will try to uninstall and then reinstall off line so that it can't do an auto update.  I have the R15.1 mondo patch and will use it.  That is the most recent mondo that I have everything else was auto downloaded  Since it started with 19.1 update, I think it is related despite their claims to he contrary.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Are you by any chance using a VPN?
  • No I am not. 
    Nothing has changed on my computer since I downloaded stock prices on Tuesday night other than the update that Quicken went through to change it to Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    edited March 24
    "Quicken went through to change it to Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1" you received the latest staged release. That may be your issue. Quicken Inc. will need to ID the issue and make the necessary corrections in the subsequent release.
  • I would agree but unless  tech support is being less than transparent no one else has had this failure mode occur. 
    The 1st tech support individual tried to mislead me on the sunset.  Very deliberate as you can see from the log I posted above.  
    The second one was very helpful or so it appeared and spent nearly 3 hours "chatting" trying to fix it.  If it is a problem with the update (which I have to think it is) why am I the only one that is having a problem?  Maybe no one else has found the problem yet.  Out of the potential millions of users that seems a bit far fetched.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    At about the same time as the Quicken software update, did you also install a Windows Update?
    Could it be possible that this Windows Update activated this feature:

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled. Configure or deactivate the Ransomware feature (may also be called "Controlled Folders")
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7626540/quicken-opens-but-stuck-wont-show-file-nov-2017
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7631733/windows-10-1709-protected-folders

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    edited March 24
    There is another user posting same issue. I'll try and track down the post.

• That's my post, I'm having the very same issue. I just noticed on 3/22. I suspect there are others who just haven't found it yet.Appreciate your efforts, GeoffG!

• edited March 24
    UKR said:
    At about the same time as the Quicken software update, did you also install a Windows Update?
    Could it be possible that this Windows Update activated this feature:

UKR
    There have been no Windows  s/w updates  recently  done on either computer that I have used.
    I have done restore points no effect. 
    I installed on another computer that has never had Quicken on it. Same result.

Now that SharynLV has chimed in with the same issue I think the problem is definitely on Quicken's server end.  They either are hiding it from their tech support folks or they don't yet know that it exists. I find it hard to believe with the number of users that there are but..........
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    Hello @intuitemailtrovenn

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and your experience with Support to the Community, although I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration experienced.

I took the liberty of reviewing the chat transcripts from the prior contacts with Support and I would like to apologize for the misinformation provided and experience overall.  I have also forwarded the transcript to our Senior Leadership Staff so they are aware and the first Agent you spoke with can be followed-up with appropriately.

To clarify, Quicken 2017 and all offered Online Services, including Investment Quote Updates are supported until April 30, 2020, at which point all Online Services and access to Support is discontinued.  More information on our Discontinuation Policy is also available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy.

I also tested in my copy of Quicken for Windows 2017, R19.1 and was able to successfully update the stock quotes so while there seems to be an issue happening, it doesn't seem to be affecting all Users.

If you are still unable to update stock quotes, please let us know if any of your bank accounts are connected to the Financial Institution to download transactions and if so, are the accounts connecting and updating correctly?

Please also go to the Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Advanced tab.  In the Settings window scroll down to the bottom and is the TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 options checked?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah

• vud999vud999 Member
    I am also on Quicken 2017 Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1 .  I do not connect to a brokerage account to download transactions or prices.  I downloaded stock quotes on Quicken during the day on 3/21/19.  Since that time, when I attempt to update quotes Quicken states that quotes are being updated but no updated prices are received.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Thank you for your response this morning.
    The TLS 1.0 option is checked.
    Should I try 1.1 or 1.2 to see if that has an impact?
    I did install my Quicken 2017 on a pristine desktop computer to see if it was a computer issue with my normal laptop or something else.  The exact same issue occurred on the alternate computer as well.
    I do not download financial institution data to Quicken; however, during the second support session and again this morning attempting to add a new account both bank and investment was attempted.  In all cases when that was done the following message occurred.
    "We couldn't get information about Bank of America.
    This account will be setup as a manual account."

As I have detailed previously nothing was updated on this computer nor was anything changed except for the Quicken pushed update to Version R19.1 Build 26.1.19.1.

During stock price update the messages are all the standard correct screens that make you think it is working, even though it does not, unlike when I tried to create a linked bank/investment account which gave the failure message above.

On the offhand chance that my service provider somehow blocked your stock update server IP address back on 19 March could you (for security reasons I am sure you don't want it public) email to my on file email account the IPv4 address so that I can try a ping to see if it is even going through?

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    Quicken Sarah
    Thank you for your response this morning.
    The TLS 1.0 option is checked.
    Should I try 1.1 or 1.2 to see if that has an impact?

YES!

• Please also go to the Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Advanced tab.  In the Settings window scroll down to the bottom and is the TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2 options checked?

Sarah

@vud999
    @SharynLV
    I can't say if this will work for everyone that is having the problem since last Wednesday  19 March 2019 however.......

For whatever reason my computer even with the security updates was still using Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0.

After UKR's emphatic "YES" and Quicken Sarah's post I did some quick research. 

TLS 1.0 is out of date and will not be used after Q1 2020 by anyone, however many organizations are setting their servers to refuse connections to computers/servers using TLS 1.0 at different dates unique to their security plan.

I suspect that some IT plan was implemented by Quicken on or about 19 March 2019 that caused their server to reject any TLS 1.0 protocol and that is the root of our issue with stock prices not downloading. 
    When I changed settings to TLS 1.2; I can now get stock downloads, I can make contact with the Quicken server to create/download financial data.  Bottom line everything now seems to be working again.

@Quicken Sarah

Quicken support needs to be made aware to inform all complainants to check their TLS settings.  It would be very useful to have Quicken post somewhere REALLY obvious that they have locked out TLS 1.0 protocol computers and to revise their setting  in the control panel.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help for your comments.

• edited March 25
    @SharynLV

I have twice  now typed out long comments and have had them disappear after 15 minutes plus of typing when I tried to edit them.
    Now I will keep it short and simple.

I suspect that Quicken IT has disabled TLS 1.0 on their server on or about 19 Mar 2019 and that is the root of our problem. Much detail was in previous versions I wrote but I am not typing it out again.
    My issue is totally resolved with the TLS 1.2 protocol setting.

If Quicken support had any future complainants verify their TLS settings on first contact that would possibly be helpful. 
    If Quicken posted somewhere really obvious to check computer settings for TLS 1.2 for any connectivity issues that would be helpful; as well. 

I can only say that my regular security OS updates did not change the TLS protocol and I suspect that many others are in the same boat.

Many thanks to all who tried to help. 
    Especially @GeoffG and @UKR
  • vud999vud999 Member
    Thanks.  After enabling TSL 1.2 I was able to download quotes again.
  • Same here: Enable TSL 1.2 and quotes download perfectly. Thanks much @intuitemailtrovenn for your persistence and clarity in getting this issue solved!
This discussion has been closed.