Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Home Inventory does not update Quicken

I have reported an issue where after upgrade from 2016 to 2019 version of Quicken, Home Inventory  no longer updates Quicken data file posting error" There are currently no accounts in your Quicken data file". Yet I am launching QHI from inside Quicken software. Quicken did not post any update on this, and 2019 continues to be a regression to previously used by me version.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked that the original QHI data file still resides with the Q data file?
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    Yes, my QHI data file resides in the same folder as QDF. Also, "Inventory" still exists in the Account List inside Quicken, however in the Account Bar it shows the old, outdated value of assets from previous version of Quicken, and I have no way to update it.
    In the Account Bar the "Inventory" is still a hyperlink, and it launches QHI, although the first time I had to point it to directory location where I keep my Quicken files.
    It seems that original intelligence of the software was lost, and clicking Update Quicken in Home Inventory possibly makes it look for the related QDF file in a hard coded location/URL, and not in the directory the files actually are.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When was the last time you updated QHI? You do not state what version you are on currently. If like me, you've ever downgraded to Deluxe and over the years managed to delete the QHI data file, you will have a link that does not "go anywhere". Now having Premier again, I launched the link to an empty file. Since I deleted the original data file, I needed to reenter the inventory. The new link and values update as expected.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    I have not deleted the original file. My 2016 version has Home & Business, but I did not use any of it's additional features, and they were nothing more than additional clatter. Thus I switched to Deluxe version of Quicken. After testing the hell out of it I decided that it is more than adequate for what I do. Having to re-enter inventory seems like a horrible option, as years of work and keeping up went into this. All functionality is there with one (one would think simple to fix) exception - I can go from Quicken and launch QHI by clicking on Inventory, I can open QHI and launch proper QDF from Home Inventory GUI by clicking Goto Qkn. The only thing that is not working is Update Quicken, where the total of value is updated in Quicken. As far as I am concerned this is a bug, which should be fixed. It wouln'd hurt to make few updates to Home Inventory software either. Suggested items show things like 8-track tape player. Person who wrote the code must be 100 years old by now!
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is that with Premier the "Update Quicken" function works. Have you attempted using QHI as standalone? If so, it "should" update Quicken. It generates a QIF file that Quicken imports.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    Stand alone functionality is fine. But... my home inventory software database is stored in file QHI.IDB. Did the change file format and extension? If yes, how does one convert?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said that you are now using Deluxe. Deluxe does not support QHI, only Premier. You should still be able to use and update Quicken, but from the stand alone version.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    Do you know what is the latest version of Quicken Home inventory software? Mine seems to be ancient (copyright 1993-199- Intuit). There must have been newer releases. Frankly, I am not inclined to pay premium for Quicken to get back all that clatter, and to update one asset value in the database. I can create an asset account do this manually. I might give up on Quicken Inventory management all together, perhaps a good step towards getting rid of Quicken as well. Like you, I use it since inception, and I have nothing positive to say about their support for the product. If you know of a good replacement inventory management software, or about where I can upgrade what I have I would be very grateful.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, QHI has not received much/any attention since release. While I've not used it, an alternative home inventory software I've seen is Attic Manager.
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    Yes, I looked at it. It reads QHI file foo. Great! Thank you for the hint. Much appreciated :-)
  • jl747
    jl747 SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    You said that you are now using Deluxe. Deluxe does not support QHI, only Premier. You should still be able to use and update Quicken, but from the stand alone version.
    I have Quicken Deluxe and QHI is part my software. I did have Premier up but went to Deluxe 2019 so maybe it is a workable hold over.
    I also have Attic Manager installed as a backup. I have had it since 2014.
    With it you can add pictures.
    It is a shame the Quicken Home Inventory Manager )stand alone version) is no longer available.

Quicken Windows Deluxe (Subscription)
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • Mirek
    Mirek Member
    I always thought that QHI is a part of my Quicken software suite, although as I have not seen any improvements for many years it became obvious that Quicken Home Inventory was abandoned, just like their Wealth Management software from 2002, where they ensured that it would not work beyond Windows XP. The decision is simple - bye, bye Quicken Home Inventory. I bought Attic Manager already. I had no issue with spending money elsewhere to buy something that works, and is supported, rather than wasting time on trying to make Quicken Home inventory work for me!
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello all,

This is an ongoing issue that has been reported to our development team and is being worked on. Here is a link to the current thread that you can follow for updates as they become available: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851187/used-quicken-home-inventory-for-years-now-cant-enter-or-even-reach-details-qhi-just-closes-fix/p3.

-Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.