Strikes Me as Fraudulent.

If you bought a car in 2017, complete with windshield wipers, radio and wheels, but in 2019 you get a notice, that after the end of April, either your wipers will no longer work, or your radio will stop, or your wheels won't rule unless you pay an annual extortion fee you be in court pretty quick.

While I'm not suggesting Quicken users go to court, I can' t imagine why Quicken would think long time users, who may have purchased the product several times over over the years, would agree to have key functionality removed from they product they bought which had the functionality at time of purchase.

Count me out.  Time to move on.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    Did that 2017 car come with a XMSirius radio and a one year subscription?  What happens if you don't renew the subscription for XMSirius?  The car still works, the radio still works with the AM/FM bands, just doesn't get satellite radio any more.  Same thing if you bought a GM vehicle and it same with OnStar, you don't keep the subscription up, it doesn't work, but the car still goes down the road.

Quicken and online banking are the same setup, Quicken still works, but the extra added feature of online banking ceases because you did not renew, online banking costs Quicken to support, so they now charge on a subscription basis versus the every three years as in the past.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sure, except the car dealer has an obligation to tell me before the car is sold, that after 18 months I'm in for an annual fee to use the radio. That way I can decide whether I agree or not.    Doing it arbitrarily, after the fact,  means I got hoodwinked along with the other suckers who assume all the cars features were part of the sale.

Truth is I get on-line bank and bank account for free. So charging for downloads simply means that  Quicken now wants the fee I saved from selecting an efficient bank. In fact my bank offers about 60%-70% of the features of Quicken (even for other accounts) as a web service of the bank except they bank holds the data, not me.

As to the renew/upgrade the purchased product every three years issue, if I choose not to renew, the product it still retains ALL its functions should I decline. Stuff doesn't stop working.

Truth is Quicken wants a predictable revenue stream on what it has done in the past, and does not want to have the uncertain(plus or minus) outlook of having to improve the product or new add-ons for increased revenue and growth.

As the rat said to T-Rex,  grow/adapt or die I think.
  • I guess you didn't read the EULA before installing Quicken. And Quicken will continue to function manually after the subscription expires just as before.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • Mike1510 said:
    Doing it arbitrarily, after the fact,  means I got hoodwinked along with the other suckers who assume all the cars features were part of the sale..

Not true. The expiration of online services is clearly stated in the End User Licence Agreement that you accepted when you installed the software.

Or didn't you bother to read it before you clicked on "Accept"?

• Most users don't have the time to read every End User Agreement.  We are busy with things like jobs and our lives.  We buy Quicken to make our lives easier.  Instead we end up being surprised by things like this. 

Its funny to me that other personal finance software packages don't charge for downloads.  Why does Quicken need to?

Oh, and what about that 25% of your screen that gets used up for an ad up once your sub expires?  Is that in the EULA?  Give me a break.
    Quicken Windows 2017 R19.1.  Quicken user since 1999
  • What happens when my Quicken membership expires?
    The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product. You will also see expiration messages within the program (for examples, see How will I know if I need to renew my subscription membership? below).

The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only upon membership expiration or cancellation.

Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    Mike1510 said:
    While I'm not suggesting Quicken users go to court, I can' t imagine why Quicken would think long time users, who may have purchased the product several times over over the years, would agree to have key functionality removed from they product they bought which had the functionality at time of purchase.
    It's always worked that way - only on a THREE YEAR Sunset cycle - and I guess it was OK with you for the 3 years, but now, not for the 1 year cycle -
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    cranky_user said:  We buy Quicken to make our lives easier.  Instead we end up being surprised by things like this.
    It's always worked that way - only on a THREE YEAR Sunset cycle - and I guess it was OK with you for the 3 years, but now, not for the 1 year cycle -
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.