Restoring backup results in 0 entries

Hello, the OS installation of my computer decided to corrupt itself last week so I just completed a reinstall of the OS and all the applications, including Quicken (latest subscription version).  I've always kept a backup of my quicken file, ensuring to save every time I use quicken so I do not lose track of any entries.  I got the backup and did a restore this morning, and while the totals seem to be correct there are 0 entries and all of the accounts say "N/A".  What could possibly be going wrong?  All I have is the backup file, xxx.QDF-backup

Comments

• bakerm5bakerm5 Member
    One other thing:  my scheduled transactions are all there, but the payee is blank.  Values (where it's a set value) is present.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest continue restoring as far back as needed to find a file that does not exhibit this issue. If you could provide a screenshot, that may shed light, but on the surface, it's sounds like a file corruption.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bakerm5 ,

See this post: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7803899/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet#latest

What operating system? If Mac include that information, if Windows 10, what is the Build information?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R20.15 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4
  • bakerm5bakerm5 Member
    Thanks for the responses.  I've not been saving different versions of the backup, just saving over it each time.  Should have thought about actually testing to be sure it worked every now and then apparently.  Here's screen shots and more information.  Notice the "N/A" under banking, and the payees are blank in the reminders.  As is all transactions.  And I noticed this time that the balance when I click on the first "N/A" is different in the details than it is in the summary (in the details in balance is $0, in the summary it's what I think was correct (close enough that bells wouldn't have been going off at least).

OS build info:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home
    • Version: 1809
    • Installed on: 3/23/2019
    • OS Build: 17763.379

Quicken Info:
    • Year: 2019
    • Version: R18.15
    • Build: 27.1.18.15

Hi @bakerm5 ,

You wrote above: "Thanks for the responses.  I've not been saving different versions of the backup, just saving over it each time.  Should have thought about actually testing to be sure it worked every now and then apparently.  "

You might think that only one copy of the Quicken Data File is necessary for a Backup. I guess that what happened to you proves that false.

You can't have too many backups. When I do Backups, I always do a Manual Backup, as I have Automatic Backups turned off. And I checked Add date to backup file name.

My backup location Quicken Backup on my Mapped Hard Drive. I have 255 Manual Backups and counting.

You might consider to start over with a New Quicken Data File and do Manual Backups instead of Automatic Backups.

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - adding the "date" makes the file name more unique, and will only ask to be overwritten if you create another manual extra backup per day....
    I have the normal /Backup/ folder - which has maybe 6 entries, and then I have my  manual/auto EXTRA backup /Backup2x/ folder - and I have at least an entry saved for every month for a year...

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bakerm5 said:
    ... I've always kept a backup of my quicken file, ensuring to save every time I use quicken so I do not lose track of any entries.
    Where and how were you creating the Backup file ?
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • bakerm5bakerm5 Member
    @ps56k I was backing up to a Onedrive folder, which is where I restored from.  The other files I've looked at seem to be OK (always have been on Onedrive).

Thanks @thecreator I will start doing that from now on.  I guess I hadn't noticed that option before.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did not see where you mention system backups. Quicken will create backups unless you specifically disable it. Look in the documents folder for Quicken>Backups.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    Hi @bakerm5 ,

You might wish to try to move your Backup you made to a Local Folder on the Desktop. Then restore the Backup from the Desktop folder. See if that makes a difference,
This discussion has been closed.