Enter check and amount is added to the first transaction of the register then deducted where entered

From my back, I downloaded checking data (account register) from the first of the year into a newly set up Quicken account. All the downloads items entered perfectly. I went to enter a new (check)  transaction that has not yet been seen by the bank and when I click enter what is a negative amount is added to the first item in the register then deducted from the not inflated balance where it was entered. I have been able to enter smaller amounts ($500.00) w/o this issue but when I try to enter $6,000.00 what I described above happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• BudW.BudW. Member
    Too many typ'o's...

From my bank, I downloaded checking data (account register) from the first of the year into a newly set up Quicken account. All the downloaded items entered perfectly. I went to enter a new (check) transaction that has not yet been seen by the bank and when I click enter what is a negative amount is added to the first item in the register then deducted from the now inflated balance where it was entered. I have been able to enter smaller amounts ($500.00) w/o this issue but when I try to enter $6,000.00 what I described above happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BudW. I'm still not 100% sure I understand what you're typing and what's happening. I have a suggestion that might help clarify for you and, if there's still a problem, for you to explain to us...

By default, Quicken registers show an Amount column, which need to reflect positive and negative values, and Quicken has to determine whether a number typed by a user should be positive or negative. Instead of using Amount, go to the bottom toolbar and click on the Columns button; then select Payment and Deposit, and click on amount to de-select it. What that does is give you two columns instead of one, so there can be no confusion about positive or negative values in the single Amount column. This should allow you to always enter payment in the Payments column. (After you've used Quicken for awhile, if you want to save screen space and switch back to the one Amount column, you can easily do so.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BudW.BudW. Member
    Good Morning Jacobs: I appreciate your time and patience. I did what you suggested hoping that adding those columns might help but unfortunately no change. 
    I'm not good at explaining but will try again. I click new item and get a blank register line. I enter the who and what and then the amount. I have been including a negative symbol as this is a payment. When I click enter, that amount appears added to every line prior to where I am with this new item. 
    In other words, the balance on the last entry before this new one was $16,492.53. When I enter a new transaction amount of -$6,837.00, the balance on the last entry changes to include that amount... $23,329.53. That inclusion goes all the way back to the first transaction 12/23/2018.

I just figured it out. I am sorry for wasting your time but think adding to this message what I just learned may help someone else. 

The very first entry (and all other entries) on the register was/were downloaded from the web bank account and was a light grey as though it was a hidden transaction and not available to be clicked on. It was categorized as "Adjustment".
    When I wrote that the withdrawal amount is added to every line... I realized that the amount is basically added to the first transaction... and carried thru every following transaction.  I wondered if the amount I was trying to enter was being "absorbed" by that adjustment line.
     I deleted the light grey adjustment  transaction. I then reentered the same values (deleted transaction) which was now in "clickable" dark lettering. I then went back to my original issue and entered that check for the -$6,837.00. It did not add to the overall balance but entered correctly. Somehow it was "being absorbed" into that opening line - "adjustment."
    Again, thank you for helping. Much appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.