Why does Quicken keep changing the amount of the monthly loan payment.

For the past year the loan payments I have entered keep changing in Quicken.  Each month I have to re-set them to the correct monthly amount.

Answers

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the case of a mortgage, the amount of principal and interest do change every month. Using the correct Scheduled Reminder generated by the Loan Setup process should take care of that automatically.
    Car loans are different and your actual principal and interest every month may be off by a few cents, depending on when the bank received your payment.
    Please provide more details on your situation.
  • Thank you for your response.  I set up the loan in Quicken and entered the monthly loan amount, fixed interest rate and term.  I have done that in the past and it always stayed the same unless I changed it.  But now it changes itself almost every month.  The monthly payment should be consistent for the entire term.  Very frustrating, because if I don't notice it, then the balance is off.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Linda777776

Thank you for providing that additional information. 

What type of loan is this?  Mortgage, Car, etc.?

Is the loan account connected to your Financial Institution to download transactions or do you manually enter the transactions?

Do you use the companion Mobile/Web Apps and sync your data to the Quicken Cloud?

Does the amounts change when entering the loan reminder transaction or after the transaction has been added to the register?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Responding to your questions:
    --This is a mortgage--actually, 3 mortgages on 3 different properties, all with the same problem.
    --I manually enter them when the "Reminders" pop up each month.
    --No, not sync'd to the Quicken cloud. All entries done on laptop, not on mobile app.
    --The details don't change once entered in the register, but the payment amounts for upcoming payments keep changing, no matter how often I re-set them to the correct monthly payment.  I have to re-set the payment amounts each month before I enter them.  Very annoying.

Your assistance would be most appreciated.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the reminders properly defined?
    Quicken requires that the split details are listed in the following order:
    Anything else will mess up the processes used for calculation loan details.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elaborating upon UKR's response.  If you need the 4th line (Escrow, etc) you MUST also have the 3rd as shown.
    If you need neither the 3rd or 4th lines, you can omit both.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • I am not entering it there.  I set the loans up, connected to each of the properties. The set up includes the initial loan amount, the monthly payment and the interest rate and term. Each month the reminders show up.  I have done this in the past with other loans and they always worked fine.  This time the loan payment amounts are tweaked every month in Quicken.  Even when I edit them, they still edit themselves to different monthly amounts.  Very frustrating.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Linda777776

Thank you for that additional information.  If you haven't yet, I would recommend contacting Quicken Support for assistance with troubleshooting this issue further.

Support has the ability to connect with your computer (view only, they cannot take over or control your computer) to see what is happening in real time and should be able to resolve this issue.  

Please let us know how it goes with Support, thank you.

Sarah
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Linda777776 ; Are each of these mortgages what would be considered to be "Traditional, monthly interest" mortgages?  Or, are they different in some way from traditional mortgages?
    Because I've run, over the years, MANY mortgages in Q ... and always found Q's interest calculations to be extremely accurate for Traditional mortgages ... and next to useless for any other type of loan.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.