Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Display/UI (Windows)

Make available Toolbar Buttons to Add to one's own Toolbar for Validate & Super Validate.

Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
Would love to have both the Validate  and Super Validate Procedures as available Toolbar Buttons  for choosing to add to one's own Toolbar .. After these past two years while switching over to the New Quicken ID, I cannot count the number of times that I have utilized  these two vital Procedures.

Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
Retired - former Computer System Analyst
1 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I cannot help but wonder what is happening in your environment that necessitates running Validate and Super Validate frequently enough to warrant a toolbar button but you may want to consider using an AutoHotKey script.  For example, the following script may be used enable pressing Ctrl + Shift + V to launch the Validate and Repair Your Quicken File window:

#ifWinActive ahk_exe qw.exe

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    Ah, your suggestion reminds me of good ole MS DOS days!! (grin) I am trying to get away from using Key Strokes.

I do not run these Procedures frequently.;  but do run them once a month for peace of mind and data integrity. I would like a visual shortcut to these Procedures vs. having to remember the Menu Entries (and Key Stroke for Super Validate).

I see that there is a Toolbar Button for "Manage hidden accounts". I just wonder how many users utilize that Button on their Toolbar?? So why not have Validate and Super Validate? I bet that such Toolbar Entries would be utilized more than the one for "manage hidden accounts".

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody even knows what Super-validate does that Validate doesn't do. So I wouldn't want to put it in people's faces.
    (We have asked, and been told that most of what Super-validate used to do is now available in Validate's options. There is apparently one "edge case" left which Super-validate handles, but what exactly that is has not been revealed.)
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jerry_Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel, thanks for the information. You SuperUsers  are privy to information that the rest of us are restricted to have. If you are correct, maybe the Super-Validate procedure will soon become nonexistent. AND as Quicken improves, the Validate  procedure might automatically be part of the closing Procedure; (set by a Flag or questioning the User upon exiting). Ohhh, the Possibilities!! (grin)

I will actually look forward to the time where the development team has the Quicken Program so "under wraps" that the two Procedures  will become almost nonexistent in utilization. I do know that instructions in Quicken Help recommend only utilizing these Procedures if problems with Program and/or Data File arise. With the memory of problems that I have had these past two years in converting to a Quicken ID, I still run them once a month to assure data integrity.

As time passes, and as Quicken is further improved, it might be wise for the User  to remember that such Procedures do exist via seeing them on one's Toolbar.  Reaching for "straws" , eh? (LOL)

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sherlock said:
    I cannot help but wonder what is happening in your environment that necessitates running Validate and Super Validate frequently enough to warrant a toolbar button but you may want to consider using an AutoHotKey script.  For example, the following script may be used enable pressing Ctrl + Shift + V to launch the Validate and Repair Your Quicken File window:

^+v:: ; validate   WinMenuSelectItem, A, , &File, File Operations, Validate and Repair...
    return

#ifWinActive
    As of R19.44, the script should be:

^+v:: ; validate
        PostMessage, 0x111, 7005, 0, , A
    return

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10