Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Suntrust downloads regularly missing the same transactions

Every month I get four transfers from Fidelity with 2 of the same amounts (ex. $800, $800, $1000, $1000. These four amounts show on the Suntrust Banking Web Site. But for the last three months when I download transactions to Quicken, only 3 of the items come over and I must manually enter the fourth. Any suggestions on where to start on this. I did try restoring from backup and redoing the Quicken Updates with the same result. Running Windows and currently R18.5. Using Express Web Connect. 

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Angelo BioneAngelo Bione Member ✭✭
    I think it was stated. Suntrust Bank. Using Express Web Connect. 
    edited April 2019
    Quicken continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

If you wish to continue to use the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Direct Connect faired no better. I was on the phone with support for almost an hour. What we did find out was that if I created a new Quicken file and downloaded the transactions all appeared. We took the an earlier date of the current database and tried Super Validate repeated times. After One Step Update only three of the four transactions appeared. 
    edited April 2019
    Direct Connect faired no better. I was on the phone with support for almost an hour. What we did find out was that if I created a new Quicken file and downloaded the transactions all appeared. We took the an earlier date of the current database and tried Super Validate repeated times. After One Step Update only three of the four transactions appeared. 
    As you've reproduced the issue with Direct Connect, I suggest contacting the financial institution.  Based on the symptoms you've described, I suspect the missing transaction's FITID was previously imported into the account register.  With Direct Connect and Web Connect, it is reliably the financial institution who is responsible for insuring the FITID of each transaction is unique.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    As mentioned creating a new quicken database all four amounts were displayed. In my current only three. The log does show the 4 unique transactions. It is something in my big old database that goes back to 2001. 
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <DTPOSTED>20190402
    <TRNAMT>1000
    <FITID>201904021600001000.009092009823440
    <INTU.CC_TXN_ID>65894294717
    <NAME>FID BKG SVC LLC  MONEYLINE
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <DTPOSTED>20190402
    <TRNAMT>800
    <FITID>20190402160000800.009092009325091
    <INTU.CC_TXN_ID>65894294718
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <DTPOSTED>20190402
    <TRNAMT>800
    <FITID>20190402160000800.009092009325104
    <INTU.CC_TXN_ID>65894294720
    </STMTTRN>
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>CREDIT
    <DTPOSTED>20190402
    <TRNAMT>1000
    <FITID>201904021600001000.009092009823441
    <INTU.CC_TXN_ID>65894294721
    </STMTTRN>
    As the FITID is account specific, you may be able to resolve the issue by recreating the account:  create a new account, move all the transactions from the original account to the new account, update any reminders and memorized payees, delete the original account, and rename the new account.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Angelo Bione have you tried setting Register column Downloaded Posting Date to display in the problem account register and comparing Downloaded Posting Dates with the transaction dates?

If you find the Downloaded Posting Dates are more than a few days later than the transaction date, it's likely your downloaded transaction matched to an older transaction, which in effect, causes the downloaded transaction to disappear. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    @mshiggins makes a very good point.  I have been assuming had automatic entry disabled.  If you haven't, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/automatic-transaction-entry-preferences
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    mshiggins has led the way here. I restored a previous backup (3/27) for this month and reran the update with auto entry off. One of the transactions showed a match to a Money Market to Checking transfer of the same amount done just previously in March.  Cluing off of this, I restored a backup prior to March (2/27) and again one of the $1000 transactions (deposit from Fidelity) did a match against an earlier February money market to checking move of again $1,000. Thus it is coincidentally  matching against a similar amount in both cases. Same destination account, same amount, but from different sources (Fidelity e-deposit and Money Market transfer). I checked this setting on all my accounts. Checking and Credit Cards on. Brokerage accounts off.  
    Now that I know the subject, I read through many discussions about this. I checked all my renaming rules and memorized payees. From what I read Quicken is internally matching this up with one of its stored lists that I have no control over. So it appears the only thing I can do is to not use auto.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

"If you find the Downloaded Posting Dates are more than a few days later than the transaction date, it's likely your downloaded transaction matched to an older transaction, which in effect, causes the downloaded transaction to disappear."

If that happened, the Downloaded FITID for the presumed missing transaction should have been assigned to the wrongly matched transaction. That could be discovered by making the Downloaded ID column visible.

[I don't see where the original poster ever fully responded to Sherlock's suggestion that a transaction with the FITID of the "missing" transaction may already have been accepted in the account. A search in the Quicken account register for the "missing" FITID should have been attempted back then.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited April 2019
    I am not sure if there is a question for me in here or is a complete copy of another post. I turned on transaction ID in the register and unfortunately it does not display the complete number, allow me to widen the column, or copy and paste the value. The original transaction date for the match was about three weeks earlier and using the log it is an entirely different number. So the match must be entirely based on internal workings and that it was Suntrust and the same amount. But it seems strange that the match occurred for two incoming transactions. The previous transaction was not entered manually which auto match seems intended to be for.  This is probably the reason I occasionally (few months) have to reconcile my checking account for other amounts that occasionally show up. 
    edited April 2019
    I am not sure if there is a question for me in here or is a complete copy of another post. I turned on transaction ID in the register and unfortunately it does not display the complete number, allow me to widen the column, or copy and paste the value. The original transaction date for the match was about three weeks earlier and using the log it is an entirely different number. So the match must be entirely based on internal workings and that it was Suntrust and the same amount. But it seems strange that the match occurred for two incoming transactions. The previous transaction was not entered manually which auto match seems intended to be for.  This is probably the reason I occasionally (few months) have to reconcile my checking account for other amounts that occasionally show up. 
    I think the point is you would have seen the Transaction ID or Posting Date of the most recent import.  Also, if you examined the Status column, you should have seen the blue pencil icon indicating the recent download had matched the older transaction.

If you want to continue to use Automatic Entry, you would left click on the innapriopriately matched transaction to unmatch the transaction and then select the red pencil beside the transaction the downloaded transaction should match.  After a while, Quicken will no longer attempt to match the downloaded transaction to the earlier transaction.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Sorry, looking back through my checking register that goes to 2001, there is not one blue pencil mark in the status column. The only red marks are the ones where I manually entered the missing transactions this year. I think we have beat this to a pulp. If again I see a missing transaction, I will restore a couple of days prior and turn it off.  
This discussion has been closed.