Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Trying to add an account in Quicken 2017. Is there a max number of accounts per login? Etrade

Been using quicken for years so I think I know what I am doing. I opened an IRA account under my Etrade login credentials a couple weeks ago.  I also opened an account for my wife under her login credentials with Etrade.

I go to add them in quicken 2017. I click add account, choose quicken Etrade and use my wife's credentials.  her existing 3 accounts show up along with this new account.  The new account is the only one that lets me set up as a new account (since the other 3 are already in quicken. So her stuff is working fine.

In the same quicken file I do the same with my etrade account.  It shows 12 accounts, all already setup in quicken. this new 13th account is not in the list of accounts / quicken doesn't let me add it since it's not there.  OK. maybe I need a few days for the new account to get into the quicken server / system (even though my wife's, created at etrade at the same time was in quicken).

2 weeks later I still can't see that 13th account.  

Anyone know if there's some bug / feature in quicken that doesn't let you have more than 12 accounts from 1 financial instutution?  I called Etrade.  The tech said he saw some people having issues wtih 11 or 12th account... and didn't see a fix.  

Thoughts?

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer
    FYI - I got in touch with quicken tech support. we spent a fair amount of time on this, trying several things.

Some of the things we did / I hadn't thought of / features in the program I never used / didn't even know existed:

help - screen share: she supplied a code and quickly connected
    help - report a problem: that sent her log files.

Looking at the log files she could see that I AM getting all 13 accounts downloaded. For some reason the 13th isn't being displayed.

She had me create a new / totally blank quicken data file. I went through adding an account? / entering the etrade credentials. It went to etrade and got the data for all the accounts.... again, it only showed me 12 accounts (ruling out something wrong with my data file - it IS many years old... I used to use Managing your money for DOS then switched to quicken.. so who knows what quirks could be lurking in the data : )

But using the new / empty data file ruled out a data file issue. I guess I can do a clean install of quicken 17, do all the updates and then see if it shows all 13 accounts.

Or install the original quicken 17 and see if I can see all 13 accounts (did an update to Quicken break something?!

So the issue is still open and they are still looking into it. while some accounts I used to churn buys and sells, this account and in general am trying not to be a trader. so the manual qfx files or even manual entry of the few activities in the account woudl work for now.

Some of the 13 accounts are accounts for my kids as minors accounts. they are over 21 now so I could (should?) have them converted to individual accounts rather than uniform gift to minor accounts and that will move some to a different login credentials and lower the account here to under 13.

Those max number of entries page is interesting. even with my stock churning over decades, I don't think I hit any of the numbers mentioned.

I think there's a command that will show all those categories and the counts related to them? not seeing what that would be. Or am I thinking of quickbooks?

OH!!!  help, then hold down control while clicking on about quicken : ) 

43 accounts
    74 MB
    165 categories
    969 securites
    28,000 transactions

doesn't look like thats an issue (and again, I had the same issue with a totally new data file.

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add the account to Quicken, I suggest you download and import the transaction history of the account manually (choose Quicken Web Connect for Quicken 2004 and Quicken for Macintosh).
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • that will add the account? And then going forward it will work with 1 click? it's a new account so there aren't any transactions yet.

you are saying to do that when in etrade's website?
  • i just did that - imported the file from etrade website into quicken / created the new account. but I want to set it up as part of 1 step update. so I edit the account, go through the similar process of add account - enter etrade credentials, then it gets list of accounts.  and this 13th account is still not in the list.

Nice try. thanks anyway!
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    that will add the account? And then going forward it will work with 1 click? it's a new account so there aren't any transactions yet.

you are saying to do that when in etrade's website?
    Quicken still may not be able to setup the Direct Connect connection method for the account but, if the limitation is in the available account list, this approach may work.  To download the QFX from the financial institutions web site, you may need to wait until there is a transaction available.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:

I don't believe there is any limit on the number of accounts you can setup in Quicken with the same financial institution and same login credentials.

At one time, I think there may have been a limit on how many such accounts you could setup in a single attempt; where you had to initiate a second attempt to get more accounts. But I don't think that limit is present any more.

Are you seeing a display such as this:

with 12 rows of accounts shown?

If so, what happens if you use the down-arrow key to attempt to scroll down below the last account displayed?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI - saw this link posted in another thread.... just sharing - BTW it's 512 

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Mike RennaMike Renna Member
    Accepted Answer
    FYI - I got in touch with quicken tech support. we spent a fair amount of time on this, trying several things.

Some of the things we did / I hadn't thought of / features in the program I never used / didn't even know existed:

help - screen share: she supplied a code and quickly connected
    help - report a problem: that sent her log files.

Looking at the log files she could see that I AM getting all 13 accounts downloaded. For some reason the 13th isn't being displayed.

She had me create a new / totally blank quicken data file. I went through adding an account? / entering the etrade credentials. It went to etrade and got the data for all the accounts.... again, it only showed me 12 accounts (ruling out something wrong with my data file - it IS many years old... I used to use Managing your money for DOS then switched to quicken.. so who knows what quirks could be lurking in the data : )

But using the new / empty data file ruled out a data file issue. I guess I can do a clean install of quicken 17, do all the updates and then see if it shows all 13 accounts.

Or install the original quicken 17 and see if I can see all 13 accounts (did an update to Quicken break something?!

So the issue is still open and they are still looking into it. while some accounts I used to churn buys and sells, this account and in general am trying not to be a trader. so the manual qfx files or even manual entry of the few activities in the account woudl work for now.

Some of the 13 accounts are accounts for my kids as minors accounts. they are over 21 now so I could (should?) have them converted to individual accounts rather than uniform gift to minor accounts and that will move some to a different login credentials and lower the account here to under 13.

Those max number of entries page is interesting. even with my stock churning over decades, I don't think I hit any of the numbers mentioned.

I think there's a command that will show all those categories and the counts related to them? not seeing what that would be. Or am I thinking of quickbooks?

OH!!!  help, then hold down control while clicking on about quicken : ) 

43 accounts
    74 MB
    165 categories
    969 securites
    28,000 transactions

doesn't look like thats an issue (and again, I had the same issue with a totally new data file.
This discussion has been closed.