Canadian Visa in US dollars

I have a Home Trust Visa card and when I add it to my Canadian Quicken it only allows me to show the account as US dollars. Can that be modified?

Answers

• ValderiValderi Member
    Your account is in US$, it is normal that you see US$
    But, if you ask for a report you will see the amount in canadian $.

• RR Member
    My visa is a canadian visa in canadian dollars but quicken only gives me the option to add it in u.s. dollars. All my other canacian cards give me the option to add them in either currency
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @R

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues adding a credit card account to Quicken Canada and appreciate your taking the time to report this issue to the Community.

When going through the Add Account wizard, is the currency drop-down menu blank?  Or does it pre-fill with USD?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • RR Member
    The drop down only shows US Dollars. This company has just recently opened in Canada with a canadian dollar visa account
    Hi @R

Thank you for that additional information.  May I ask, is the Home Currency of your data file to USD or CAD?

If you aren't sure, the easiest way to tell is by looking at the Account List that goes down the left or right side of Quicken.  

Is US$ listed in front of the balance amounts or does CA$ show?

In the example below, the Home Currency is set to CAD because the US$ is shown in front of the US account balances.

If the Home Currency is set to CAD, please add a manual account, selecting CAD as the currency value.  Then download a web connect file directly from the Financial Institution website.

Open the downloaded web connect file and Quicken should ask you to create a new account or link to an existing account.  Select to link it to the already existing manually created account.  Once the import completes, does the currency still change to USD?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • RR Member
     The home currency of my accounts is canadian dollars. When I added the Home Trust visa account,the only option it offered me was US dollars. Can canadian dollars not be added to home trust visa as an option?
    Hi @R

Thank you for confirming the Home Currency. 

The screenshot I posted previously is actually from when I attempted to add an account with Home Trust visa in my copy of Quicken Canada for Windows 2019, the currency defaults to the Canadian Dollar, which is why I was trying to clarify exactly what you were seeing in your file.

Home Trust should be able to be added to Quicken with CAD as the currency, if you haven't already I would recommend logging into the Home Trust website and downloading a Web Connect (.QFX) file of the transaction history.

Once the Web Connect file downloads, open it and the transaction information should start importing into Quicken.  A window will open asking if you are creating a new account or linking to an already existing account.

For our purposes, please create a new account.  Once the import completes, Quicken should retain the currency value sent by the Financial Institution in the Web Connect file.

Is the account in CAD or USD?

Thank you,

Sarah
  • RR Member
    This is what I see when I try to edit the account.The amounts download as canadian dollars but I am thinking being set as US dollars it may mess up some of my spending reports. I created a new c.c. account and downloaded the past transactions but because I already have a home trust account it just downloaded them to that account and didn't add anything. Am I missing something?
    Hello @R

Thank you for the screenshot, in the same window, if you select the "Online Services" tab - does the original account show that it is active for downloads using the "Web Connect" method?

If so, please click the "Deactivate" button and close the window once it has refreshed and shows a "Set up Now" button.

Please then try to re-import the Web Connect file (File > File Import > Web Connect (.QFX) File.

You should now get the prompt to add as a new account or link to an already existing account.   Please add as a new account and let us know if the currency is USD or CAD in the newly created account.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • RR Member
    This is what I got
  • RR Member
    I now went to my account list,clicked on HomeTrust Visa Account,clicked edit and it says US dollars with no other option