Premier 2019
Version 5.110
MacOS 10.14.4

Loyal Quicken user since 1989

“A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.”
Simon & Garfunkel (The Boxer)

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApplePay does not support Quicken.  If you want a financial institution to provide support for Quicken, I suggest lobbying the financial institution to provide the support..
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • inorliveinorlive Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, not certain that any one user would know how to reach the correct team at Apple, and even if they did, they could not make an argument as compelling as someone from the Quicken team could, as they could provide the total number of Quicken Users and how many are requesting ApplePay integration.  
    Quicken for Mac (Subscription)
    Premier 2019
    Version 5.110
    MacOS 10.14.4

Loyal Quicken user since 1989

“A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.”
    Simon & Garfunkel (The Boxer)
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    ApplePay does not support Quicken.
    I would rephrase that to be Apple does not support Quicken and based on their third-party mindset, they never will. Apple is in the habit of charging fees for services provided and not paying for them. Nearly all credit card processors seem to use Direct Connect which intuit and Quicken Inc. charge for.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused. ApplePay is not, in and of itself, a credit card. For everyone today, it is linked to one or more credit cards. When I pay for something with Apple Pay, it flows through to my Capital One credit card just as if I'd charged the Cap One card directly.

If you're talking about the new credit card Apple announced a few weeks ago, it isn't even available yet; it's coming sometime this summer. Processing will be by Goldman Sachs, so it's possible Goldman will provide support for Quicken. But it seems unlikely, as this card is all about privacy and all-electronic transactions, not old-school financial tracking like Quicken.

In any case, Apple won't be able to provide the data, because Apple actually never sees the data: "Apple doesn’t know what you bought, where you bought it, or how much you paid for it,” according to Apple's VP for the service, and all of the tracking and sorting of purchases happens on your phone itself, without being sent to Apple servers. Goldman Sachs will get the data, but I'm not even sure if they'll generate traditional monthly credit card statement. Logging in to download your data just seems to go against the flow of the security and new approach to payments that Apple is trying to create.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs: Apple Pay does maintain transactions for the cash account.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock Ah, yes, I forgot the cash piece even existed. I have never used it, had anyone ask me to use it, nor heard anyone else use it; I see lots of people using Venmo, but not sending cash with Apple Pay. (Even those cash transactions are handled by a third party financial institution, Green Dot Bank, for Apple.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.