Why are my IRA transactions suddenly appearing in uncategorized transactions?

I never had to categorize IRA account transactions before January 1, 2019 When I renewed Quicken for 2 years

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elaborate.  Because it's STILL not necessary to categorize MOST IRA transactions.
    HOW are these transactions getting into your Q IRA account?  Are you keying them in, or are they downloaded.
    What bank/broker/fund holds these transactions?
    What type of transactions are you finding need categories?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • cindyycindyy Member
    They are Edward Jones IRA Transactions, 6 dividend payments dated 1/2/19 that are in the register as deposits, and once Monthly 1/7/19 thru 4/5/19 "program and Port Strat Fees" and 2 fee offsets of 0.16 each. They are downloaded with the update of all accounts, The transactions are all included in the IRA register, also. This account is years old and never went into "Uncategorized Transactions" on the home page before. What should I do? Thank you
  • cindyycindyy Member
    I'm using Q Deluxe

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you automatically accept downloaded investment transactions?
    How do these transactions appear in your investment register, Action column?
    • Dividends: As Div or IntInc or some other transaction type?
      Div and IntInc may already be properly categorized.
      CapGains or other types of income need to be reviewed and categorized as needed.
    • Fees, Taxes: As MiscExp transactions? Those you need to manually review and categorize as needed, preferably before you accept the transaction.
      I have always had to categorize Foreign tax withholdings on dividends by hand.
  • cindyycindyy Member
    Thank you mshiggens, removing the investment accounts from the accounts listed in See Where Your Money Goes solved the problem of transactions which should never have categories showing up as uncategorized transactions.
This discussion has been closed.