Adding Subgroups or Folders for Investments

I would like to request that the ability to group or add folders is added to the sidebar.

Some investment companies like American Funds treat each fund as a separate account, making the display unwieldy after a while. This way, I could create a group and all of those investments could be combined with a single total displayed when the group (or folder) is collapsed. Right now, I have to manually add those subtotals to see how much is in my account.

This would also allow users to group investments by individuals (you and your spouse) or purpose and quickly see what those accounts add up to.

I would argue this should be done for ALL account types in the sidebar.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    While you await this new feature, you might want to take a look at the Investing tab's Portfolio.

The Portfolio has 18 fully customizable views.  You can specify the accounts to include, the securities to include, the grouping you want, and which investment data you want to show. 

You could create a view for your American Funds accounts so you could see at a glance the value of those combined accounts. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser
    I agree this would be useful, but I am not sure it needs to be in the Accounts bar.

One way to accomplish this would be to add a user definable field to each account, like the Investing Goal field for securities, that would let you group accounts for reporting purposes.

You can sort of accomplish this today by making Investing portfolio views that only include selected accounts, so you could have  "His accounts" and "Her accounts" or "American Funds Accounts" for example. These can overlap if you want, but you have to set them up manually. I have an overall "Holdings" view plus "Holdings taxable" "Holdings deferred" and "Holdings Roth". Unfortunately there is a limited number of these views available. 
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Thanks for the feedback on the Portfolio view. That is one option.

The thing I dislike now, though, is that I have so many accounts in the bar that I have to scroll to see some of them. That includes some of those annoying "More Accounts" lines with $0. That's why it would be nice to be able to collapse that a bit.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited April 18
    My T.Rowe funds also have 1 fund per account, while my Fidelity and Vanguard don't.
    For any zero-balance funds, I just checkmark the "Display Options" to list way down in the "Separate" area, or just hide them...

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10