Precision column widths in registers

peterpqapeterpqa Member
edited November 15 in Product Enhancements (Mac)
1. Currently, when you right-click (or two-finger tap on the trackpad) anywhere in the register column heading bar, you get a pop-up list of columns to show/hide. How about this: when the mouse pointer changes to the width-slider, and you right-click, you would get a pop-up box to specify that column's width - best unit of measure would probably be pixels, because screen sizes and resolutions vary.

2. Also in that pop-up column-width box, have options to "copy all columns and widths" and "paste copied columns and widths." Then, you could copy columns and widths, go to another account's register, right-click on a header-bar width-slider, and paste the copied columns and widths. If you copied a different register's columns and widths, the old copied ones would be overwritten in the paste buffer.

3. The super-deluxe version of this idea would be for the pop-up column-width box to have the option to "use columns and widths from: [Account 1's Name] [Account 2's Name] [etc.]"

But the precision-width feature in #1 is the most important. This would eliminate the maddeningly tedious process of dragging column widths pixel-by-pixel in multiple registers. (I've got 19.)
Tagged:
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Scott FloryScott Flory Member ✭✭
    I would second the need to share column widths/selections across registers.  Seems like I should have the option to have a default for each "group" of registers.

I would suggest adding a options to the column popup menu to
    • "save as default" 
    • "save as default for Banking" (or whatever the main grouping is for this account)
    • "save as default for Savings" (or whatever the sub-grouping is for this account)
    • "reset to default for Banking"
    • "reset to default for Savings"
    OR, another approach:
    • "save as template" - which then asks for a name
    • "load template" - which then provides a list to choose from
    • the templates would store column choice and widths

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Scott Flory There is a longstanding Idea thread on the wish to be able to set default register configurations here. It's status has been changed to "Under Consideration," which reflects that the product manager has acknowledged the request and that they may add this functionality in a future update. (Unfortunately, a bug in the forum software is currently preventing users from adding their votes to "Under Consideration" topics, but if this is fixed in the future, you can add your vote there, as higher vote totals do help influence which of many feature requests the developers tackle sooner.)

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, voting was fixed on this site on April 15. BUT it seems like this old bug is isolated to this one idea thread only (at least I have not found any others that are not working).

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Jessica B.Jessica B. Member
    Yes please fix this.  It is making me crazy to get all the columns to appear the way I want them to. Dragging doesn't do it.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jessica B. Can you clarify what you mean by "dragging doesn't do it"? If you're saying that it's annoying to have to tweak the columns on each register, yup, we all agree with that! ;)  If you're saying you're not being able to drag the columns to the width you want, please describe what you're doing and seeing. 

As I noted in my post above, there is an Idea thread for being able to set up default column settings: click here to go to that thread, and scroll down slightly until you see the blue box where you can vote by clicking on the little triangle under the number.

This idea thread is a different request to be able to specify column widths in precise numerical units, like pixels. If that's what you want to see, click to vote on this thread above.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993