Poof - Budgets are gone

ALL (variations) of my budgets mysteriously disappeared.  Business as usual using QRPM R18.16 27.1.18.16 Win 10.  Validate and Super Validate did not produce results.  Yes, I have back-up's but what keeps this from happening again?  And again?  And again?   Any solutions appreciated
Tagged:

Comments

• SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you close Quicken how exactly are you doing it?  Stuff like this can happen if the database does not close properly or it is not given the opportunity to close properly.  Has this just recently been an issue (and did it start to occur after a particular update) or has it been happening over a longer period of time?

You might want to download the Mondo Patch for the version you have and install it.  Sometimes when individual updates are installed things do not go as they should and you get this type of issue.  The Mondo Patch will update all of the files for the program not just individual files.
  • Mark PedroiaMark Pedroia Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I'll try that.  New information is that I rebuilt my budget, from a back-up file that allowed me to pull the data and all was well....until today when I validated.  When I re-opened the file, I received a pop-up, in essence, "this file contains no budgetable categories" and now POOF, my budget is gone - again.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you Syncing to Mobile / Web?

Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, after restoring your data file from the last good manual or automatic backup try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    1. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    1. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    2. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID, but on the following screen make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

• Joseph HannaJoseph Hanna Member ✭✭
    This has happened to me periodically (at least 6 times that I can remember) over the past 12 months.  Backup, Backup, and Backup again.  Validating and super validating have no effect.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you saving to xx\Documents\Quicken? Are you using any cloud backup/sync software? If so, this can interfere with Quicken closing correctly.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    Update 6/5/19. The problem continues but the more often it occurs, the more puzzle pieces come together. It happened again today immediately after a separate event, which has occurred in the past also, now I see the linkage. QRPM Win 10, when on the "bills and income" page, specifically in BILLS, every so often, clicking on a scheduled transaction (say to print the every 2 week check for lawn service) QRPM crashes. I complete the "what were you doing" pop up error reporting and send it off. Then when I relaunch QRPM, the budget is gone. So, the issue with the scheduled transaction crash somehow negatively affects the budget.

When you re-launch, budgets are gone. I restored the backup file from yesterday and the budget categories are restored too.
    Yup, wiped out my vault also...this morning. Was not a problem yesterday
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mark Pedroia Will you PLEASE answer UKR's questions of 5/14 and GeoffG's questions of 5/24 (both are above).
    Those answers will greatly assist us in diagnosing your issue.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Are you Syncing to Mobile / Web?

YES

Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

YES, I USE BOTH

If yes, after restoring your data file from the last good manual or automatic backup try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy

YES, it forces me to do this AND I have to logout on the mobile device and login again, selecting my data file to re-load my restored data

Are you saving to xx\Documents\Quicken?

MY DATA FILE is saved in the location you gave above. My automatic (by QRPM and manual back-ups, in another directory xx\Documents\Quicken\Backups. Further, I also store them on an attached hard drive.

Are you using any cloud backup/sync software?

YES, Western Digital wdsmartware to an attached "my book" drive. Note, I've been doing this for YEARS without experiencing this problem. It's only after QRPM crashes (as in my experience with entering a scheduled transaction (check) that my budget data disappears.

I have replicated losing the PIN vault by restoring a good file (has budget and vault), then validating (not super validating) and the PIN vault loses all but 2 credit card accounts.

Right now, thanks to constant back-up's, I've been able to fully restore my data, my budget and my PIN vault......until the next time it crashes.

For others experiencing this. Once the file becomes corrupted (lost budget or lost PIN), I print an "all transaction" report with a date from the last backup to present and then manually enter any "lost" transactions. Lost meaning, anything I've entered AFTER the last backup.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Mark Pedroia

I'm sorry to hear this behavior is persisting and appreciate your taking the time to share the details of this matter with the Community.

I took the liberty of reviewing the submitted crash reports and based on the limited information available, it appears the root cause of the crash is due to "broken" data in the budgets, most likely damaged categories.

The most recent crash reports shows that Quicken was attempting to read the budget items during the cloud sync and when it encountered data it couldn't read or sync, an internal error occurred causing the crash and deletion of the budget data.

If you haven't yet, I would recommend restoring the back-up file again and then create a copy of the restored back-up file (File > File Operations > Copy), opening the copied file when prompted.

When a file is copied through the File > File Validations menu, the file data is put on new internal database tables which, more often than not, will "shake loose" internal issues in the backend list data of the file.

In the copied file, please run another Super Validate & Repair - please let us know exactly what that data log says once the super validate has completed.

Please then close and re-open Quicken to force a hard refresh of the internal database tables.

With Quicken open, go to the Planning tab > Budgets and create a new budget, using the same categories selected in the original budget.

Once recreated, then delete the original budget and run the mobile sync.

Please let us know how it goes, if an error message is received at any point in the steps and what that error message says.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Thank you for the detailed information. So far, everything has proceeded normally, please see the results of Super Validation below. I have yet to build a new budget however, soon.

[Mon Jun 17 10:42:13 2019]

File: "C:\Users\Mark Pedroia\Documents\Quicken\MPEDROIA"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.
    Fixed damaged category. Please check your category list by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Jun 17 10:48:20 2019]

[Mon Jun 17 10:48:20 2019]
    Minor problems with Tags corrected
    Super validation has completed.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Mark Pedroia

Thank you for sharing the results of the super validate in the copied file, I'm glad to see that no issues were encountered during the process and that there were damaged categories found and fixed.

Once you've had time to recreate the budget, please let me know how it goes with the sync and budget data.

Thanks again,

Sarah
    Thanks, I have deleted the budget and re-created under a different budget name. So far, I have not lost my budget (again). Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.