Quicken Forgetting Categories

Recently - maybe since last update - categories for repeated transactions have been changing. There are transactions, same payee, occurring each month with the same category - suddenly these are being assigned different categories, some very different, when they are downloaded. I have to keep going back and correcting the category names. This used to be so reliable and now its become a mess. Is there a preference I'm missing for remembering and keeping category names?

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't anything you are doing or can change at the moment.

The developers are aware of this. Supposedly some major backend changes are being made for *improvements* and the current system is known to cause wrong/uncategorized transactions during the transition.

All they say is to hold tight. (Please don't shoot the messenger.)

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If you have recurring payments to make, are you using Scheduled Transaction Reminders to record these payments in your registers or are you relying entirely on downloaded transactions to fill your registers?
    I recommend using scheduled transactions. When you mark those as paid on or before their Due Date and before you download transactions from the bank showing these payments, Quicken should be able to match the downloaded transaction to the correctly named and categorized register transaction and not give you any problems. In some cases you may have to manually drag the downloaded transaction over the existing register transaction to effect a match.