year end summary

When we did not categorize certain entry's, it appears they did not get added to the total. Any ideas please ?

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All transactions need to be categorized to get meaningful reporting.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • holakaholaka Member
    Thank you. It seems, it did not add the Un-categorized entries. A bit confusing. Thank you for answering.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends ... which report or view are you looking at?
    Please provide more details.
    If you're looking at an old, saved, customized report, it may need to be re-customized to include uncategorized transactions.
  • holakaholaka Member
    Much thanks for your attention. We just created this report. Trying to get total spending for each of years, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Thank you 
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... I'm still puzzled.
    If I pull up a fresh Itemized Categories report containing one uncategorized TEST transaction, it shows up in the Expenses subtotal as the first category "Uncategorized". Income transactions without category would show up under the Income subtotal.
    Since I don't know how you're going about creating this report and which report, exactly, you are choosing, I can only shoot in the dark.
    And there are a few other questions: Are these uncategorized transactions located within banking accounts or investment accounts? Makes a difference, you know, as to the type of report you select. Are the accounts containing these transactions included in the report? Are the accounts marked "hidden" or "separate"?
    Please give me some more details.
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• holakaholaka Member
    Wow. Very generous of you:) thank you.
    I am not in front of my pc now. I will get back to you soon. Thank you.
  • holakaholaka Member
    Hi
    wow! I appreciate your level of detail and helpfulness. I want to add that we are using the 2011 starter edition. I will work on answering your questions. Thank you.
  • holakaholaka Member

Hi
    here is a snapshot. When I manually add all the expenses, I get a much higher number than the $85,451. But when I subtract the uncategorized and refund amounts on the bottom, the numbers total back to $85,451. Thank you 

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please verify the exact release level of your Quicken 2011 Starter Edition for me.
    Press Help / About Quicken and tell (or show me with a captured image snapshot) what it says, e.g., "Quicken 20?? Release R ?.??"
    I want to make sure that you have all available bug fixes on board.
    Behind the "36 Uncategorized Transactions" there should be a detailed report listing each of these transactions. Click on this line to see what it shows. Edit each transaction and categorize it, to make it disappear from this report.
    "Uncategorized" and "Refund" seem to be considered Spending (Expense) transactions, but, showing a negative number, seem to contain Income transactions. Without seeing details, I can't say what's going on here. One possibility: your "Refund" category shows Income, but is defined as an Expense - type category.
    If you record refunds, e.g., the return of a Clothing purchase, the refund amount should also be categorized as Clothing, to subtract the refund amount from the total purchases.
  • holakaholaka Member
    UKR said:
    Please verify the exact release level of your Quicken 2011 Starter Edition for me.
    Press Help / About Quicken and tell (or show me with a captured image snapshot) what it says, e.g., "Quicken 20?? Release R ?.??"
    I want to make sure that you have all available bug fixes on board.
    Behind the "36 Uncategorized Transactions" there should be a detailed report listing each of these transactions. Click on this line to see what it shows. Edit each transaction and categorize it, to make it disappear from this report.
    "Uncategorized" and "Refund" seem to be considered Spending (Expense) transactions, but, showing a negative number, seem to contain Income transactions. Without seeing details, I can't say what's going on here. One possibility: your "Refund" category shows Income, but is defined as an Expense - type category.
    If you record refunds, e.g., the return of a Clothing purchase, the refund amount should also be categorized as Clothing, to subtract the refund amount from the total purchases.

• holakaholaka Member
    Much appreciated all of your help. Here is a picture of the exact specs of the program. 
  • holakaholaka Member
    Much thanks to all who are trying to help us🙏🙏
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're 6 releases (patch levels) behind on QW2011.
    Quicken themselves no longer provide these patches, but one of the former SuperUsers has stockpiled them.
    You can get the QW2011 R8 MONDO patch (which I'd suggest over the regular patch) here: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
This discussion has been closed.