I would like to print my ledger WITHOUT the CATEGORY column.

Don't use it, takes up room for nothing
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Susiem,

What information were you needing from the register?

This option is currently unavailable. However, depending on what you need, there may be a report available.

Are you able to provide us with some details so we can try to come up with a solution for you?

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    How do you "print your ledger"?
    If you use one of the reports available in the Reports Menu or the Reports & Graphs Center, you can easily customize the report and remove the Category column. In the report view click the Customize gear icon, then remove the checkmark at the Category column.

• susiemsusiem Member
    The report menu does not give me a running balance, just inflows and outflows.  
  • susiemsusiem Member
    Thank you though for responding.
  • susiemsusiem Member
    Thank you for responding.  I want to print out a register showing a running balance just like a manual checkbook ledger.  The reports don't show a daily balance - only inflows and outflows.  I would like to customize the ledger to my own liking.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Before we take this any further, please show me an image snapshot of the "report with the Category column" in question. All I need to see is the complete report header plus 1 or 2 transactions.
    The Transaction Report (CTRL-P) from my Q 2019 for Windows does not have a separate Category column.
    What version, year and release of Quicken are you using?
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    If you switch from 2-line to 1-line banking registers (press CTRL-2), you can un-check Category from the list of columns to display. And you can still print your transactions and your running totals.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    "The report menu does not give me a running balance, just inflows and outflows."

If Quicken wants to address this issue, I would prefer they add an option to display a running balance in one or more reports generated from the Reports menu (Banking > Transaction for a start).

And if the issue must be addressed in the CTRL+p report, I think it would be better to have that report only display columns displayed in the register.

[FWIW: My Q2019 R18.16 displays the Category column for CTRL-p reports ... even when the register does not display the Category column.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • susiemsusiem Member
    Even though you can uncheck CATEGORY from the register and it's hidden, it still shows up when you print the register.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    susiem said:
    Even though you can uncheck CATEGORY from the register and it's hidden, it still shows up when you print the register.
    Can you please do what I asked you to do earlier, answer my questions and show me a sample of your report?
    I don't know what everybody else is looking at, but my Register Report (from CTRL-P) does NOT have a separate Category column. Category data for a transaction prints as one or more separate lines.
    mshiggins said:
    From C. D. Bales:

[FWIW: My Q2019 R18.16 displays the Category column for CTRL-p reports ... even when the register does not display the Category column.]

susiem said:
    Silly me, I simply assumed Quicken would print what was displayed onscreen. This is unfortunate and unexpected. I will submit a bug report.
    UKR said:
    susiem said:
    Can you please do what I asked you to do earlier, answer my questions and show me a sample of your report?
    I don't know what everybody else is looking at, but my Register Report (from CTRL-P) does NOT have a separate Category column. Category data for a transaction prints as one or more separate lines.
    You're describing printing the 2-line register. The Category column appears when printed even when the user has de-selected it in the 1-line register.
    edited May 15
    Here you go, @UKR . I captured some images for the now-submitted bug report.
    Note also that the Payment & Deposit columns have been replaced by the Amount column and the Status, Attachment, and Clr columns did not print even though they are displayed. What you see should be what you get.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'll be ...
    The CTRL-P report prints differently depending on 1-line or 2-lines-per transaction setting. I never knew that!
    Let me go sit in the corner for a while ...
    :-)