2019 R19.36 Update

I updated to the latest version of quick 2019 for windows today and all my budgets have gone haywire.. many of the budget categories disappeared

Comments

• Fred WaltersFred Walters Member ✭✭
    I had the same issue with 27.1.19.34 and all values did not show in the amount field except the overall Income and Expense totals.  
    Went back to 27.1.18.16 and all is good.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how you get tagged for receiving this release ?
    I just did the - Check For Updates - and says I'm still good with R18.16 -
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    Can you provide more details as to what you are seeing with the 19.36 or 19.34 releases?  What exactly happens?  Do you have specific examples of budget categories that have disappeared?

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
    I installed the update. I did have to tweak the budget a little. It had dropped my detailed loan payments from the budget. I simply added it back in. Everything else looks fine. Certainly not a disaster, IMO.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    Installed 27.1.19.36 and the Actual values in budget reports are not showing.  Line items are not missing.

See Below:

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Installed 27.1.19.36 and the Actual values in budget reports are not showing.  Line items are not missing.

Your report sample is not showing report and column titles, which makes debugging a little difficult.
    Which report off the Reports Menu are you using?
    Or are you using a Saved Report?
    Are you expecting to see future scheduled transactions in the current and future months as if they were real register transactions already? A report that only looks at register transactions can't do that.

The report view is for Jan/April 2019 and the budget setting is for non-zero actual s/budget.  All category and account settings are selected. You can use history or new budget reports and you get the same result.

• Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something has definitely gone wacky with budgets in R19.36.

Here's a section of my budget with R18.16:

The top figure (circled in red) is the parent category, and nothing is budgeted directly in that category.  The figures below are the subcategories of that parent, and you will note that they total 5570 (in other words, all is well).

Now if I close Quicken, apply the R19.36 Mondo patch, open the same Quicken data file (in which no changes have been made), and look at the same section of the budget:

The parent category now has a figure which seems unrelated to the subcategories below it.

If I now close Quicken, apply the 18.16 Mondo patch, and reopen that same Quicken datafile I get this:

The parent category is now zero, suggesting that some corruption of the data file has occured when it was open in 19.36.

I have restored the backup that I took before upgrading and the budget figures return to normal in 18.16 (as in the first screenshot above), and 18.16 is where I'll be staying for now.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R21.16 on Windows 10 Pro v1903
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Dan Glynhampton

Thank you the screenshots of the budget issues you are experiencing in Quicken. 

May I ask, are the budget Actuals values incorrect when viewing the budget itself in the Planning tab or when viewing Budget reports?

If reports - is the budget report a saved report?  Or created as new?

Please let me know, thank you!

Sarah
    Hi @Quicken Sarah

The screenshots are of the budget when viewed in the planning tab, but I first spotted the problem when looking at a saved report.

I've just taken a backup and reapplied the 19.36 mondo patch so that I could test it in a newly created report.  I can confirm that I still see exactly the same issue in the planning tab and the saved report, and that the problem also occurs in a newly created budget report.

One other bit of information that may be relevant and help the investigation - I use one custom category group in my budget - the issue I see is happening with the parent category from which I have moved a couple of sub-categories to my custom group.  It all works as expected in R18.16 but I encountered the problem in 19.34 and 19.36.

I also was affected by the issue of transfers becoming deselected in the budget which has been reported in other threads.
    Give this a try:
    1. Go to Budgets (do nothing)
    2. Return to Home Page
    3. Try Budget Reports

For each different budget year repeat.

This worked for 19.36 on my computer.
    Give this a try:
    1. Go to Budgets (do nothing)
    2. Return to Home Page
    3. Try Budget Reports

For each different budget year repeat.

This worked for 19.36 on my computer.
    Unfortunately that has no impact whatsoever on the problem I'm reporting, the problem persists after doing that.  Note that it's not just the reports where I'm seeing an issue, the screenshots above show sections of the budget viewed in the planning tab.
    Hi @Dan Glynhampton

Thank you for that additional information and detail about the custom category groups.

I've been testing with my personal file, attempting to replicate this behavior but so far have been unable to.  Would you be willing to submit a sanitized copy of your data file?

I'd like to add it to the open ticket with Development, but if not, I completely understand and will continue working with my file to see if I can recreate this issue.

If so, please go to the Help > Report a Problem.  Enter Attn: Sarah in the subject line, mark the box for the "sanitized data file" and click Send to Quicken.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can find the report in the system.

Thanks!

Sarah
    Hi @Quicken Sarah

I'm not going to be able to look at this until the weekend, or possibly Monday. I'll try and recreate it in a new file, but if I can't I'll submit a sanitised data file for you.

Dan

Hi @Dan Glynhampton

Thanks so much!  I appreciate it and just let me know how it goes when you have the time :)

Sarah
    edited June 13
    Hi @Quicken Sarah

I must apologise for the time it's taken me to respond, things have been rather hectic for me recently.  I managed to find a couple of hours to do more investigation of this problem, and long story short:

1. I can't reproduce the problem in a new file
    2. It might be something to do with selecting the parent categories in the budget, but I've not pinned it down to a repeatable set of steps.
    3. The only definite bug I can see is that budgeted transfers are deselected and the budgeted data for them is lost when opening a file from R18.16 in R19.44

Somewhere along the way of switching back and forth between R18.16 and R19.XX my budget has become corrupted.  I thought I had been scrupulous about backing up and always returning to a known good starting point, but I might well have made a mistake along the way.

The good news is that the backup I took in early May immediately before installing R19.36 shows no sign of the corruption, so I'm now in the process of rebuilding my file from that backup.  When that is complete I'll try again with R19.44 and see what happens.
    Hi @Dan Glynhampton

No worries :) appreciate your taking the time to investigate this. 

We've received quite a few reports of this behavior happening and have escalated the issue to Development who are currently working on a fix that I'm hoping will be ready soon.

If you'd like to bookmark the Alert for this issue it can be found here.  There's also a long thread in the Known Product Issues category that has a lot of fixes and workarounds for this issue, found here, hopefully something in there can help with the budget corruption.

Thanks again and please let me know if I can help with any questions/concerns.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.