SINGLE account corruption in file, preventing any recovery or export

First - let me say I have worked with tech support online for over 4 hours, and I have worked on my own for 2 weeks on this issue. I have version Quicken 2017 VR19.1 Build 26.1.19.1. I have done the mondo update. I have backed up, copied, validated and super validated a million times. I'm in IT and I do desktop support. All my things are in line...this is a complicated one. 

I have a bank of america account with unaccepted transactions in it. Every time I go to the account, the program times out, and I'm forced to kill it. I cannot deactivate online services on this account because of the unaccepted transactions. I can not reset because of them either. I cannot export for the same reason. I cannot export a single account because years of transfers to other accounts and payments will be broken links. I attempted to restore a backup that WAS working, and then the particular account STOPPED working.

I attempted to disable all EWS accounts, but I could not disable the BOA. This is preventing me from doing ANYTHING! I have deleted my cloud information, and reuploaded my cloud information. Now, because of the update, I cannot delete the current data set.

SO - HIVE minds - what do you have for suggestions? I'm totally stuck here. I can't just start over with another file or program because I will lose years of information. I had a similar problem 11/2018 that tech support was able to resolve, but the support I received the other day was not on their game. So - HIVE MINDS - Ideas???

Answers

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15
    I don't have a hive mind, barely a brain cell left in fact.
    Have you tried creating a new account and moving all the transactions from the old account to the new? Select the first transaction, shift-select the last transaction, right-click, Move Transactions. Then activate the new account and ignore the old one.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    I have. I attempted to. IAs soon as I click on the account in the register, it will time out. I don't get a chance to see the transactions. Any of them. I have to ctrl alt del the program.  I'm looking for another way to clear them out and then I can export the file to  qdf or something. Good thought though!!

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about export that account in QIF format and then import back into a new account?
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said: " I have backed up, copied, validated and super validated a million times. "
    I suspect that your Quicken data file is so thoroughly broken that it is beyond the repair capabilities built into Quicken. You may have to abandon it and either fall back to restoring successively older backups until you find a backup that works, even if it's several months old, or you have to start from scratch, with a new, empty data file. Do not Sync this new (or restored) data file to Mobile / Web while you're rebuilding your data, but do create backups every time you close Quicken.

• EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    @Splasher, I have attempted that a few ways. All wrong I'm sure. I made a new quicken file, exported the troubled the new file. the old file, and imported it into the new file. First, there were no cleared transactions, then i could either accept 7000 transactions at once or go through them all. 7000 transactions at once or go through them all one by one. Just for fun, I accepted them all, but I have broken transfers because I transfer from one to another, and I haven't imported the other accounts into the newly created file. If I stick this out, and export each account transactions and import to the new file, will they  recognize their connections to the other account?

@UKR, I do realize something is terribly wrong, and I have attempted to restore a backup from a while ago that was working fine, but that account doesn't work now either. I'm not willing to rebuild from scratch and rebuild a year of data. I will change programs at that point I'm willing to work another two weeks on this and then I give up.
    So you have a backup which was known to be good, but after you restore it, your problems return?
    Have you tried validating the backup file before restoring it?
    Do a Windows copy of the backup file and name the new copy .QDF instead of .QDF-backup so Validate can find it. Don't open the new copy, but use Quicken to validate & repair it. Maybe Super-validate just for the heck of it. Then see whether the validated copy will work.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel , correct. A copy from a couple months ago was good. Tech support tried to assist in recovering. It was good. When I opened it again, it was bad.

I'm following you on the windows copy and rename. I lost you though, on not to open the new copy.

Find the old backup, windows copy, paste somewhere and rename .qdf, not .qdf-backup. Then I open the renamed / copied file and super validate? Can quicken validate a file without opening it?
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    And I thought I was onto something with a year end archive - willing to forgo 5 months of data. I made the file, and still can't click on the one bank account. The damn red flag is still there next to the account. It shouldn't be there. Everything up to the end of last year was reconciled.
    Yes, you can validate a file without opening it. Open some other file in Quicken. Then do Validate. When the Validate & Repair dialog opens, you'll see that you can Browse to any .QDF file you like.
    The intent is to do the validate & repair without opening the backup file, so hopefully whatever damages the backup won't get a chance to occur.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    AAH! I didn't know that. I'm trying this now.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    Results:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index.  No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_1df"  0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information.  No action required.
     "ACCT_1df"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_1df"  0/ 0/1900

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts.  No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    Found 1 downloaded transactions in Paypal that matched cleared transactions. No action is necessary.
    Found 1 downloaded transactions that had already been entered. No action is necessary.

[Thu May 16 21:33:50 2019]

[Thu May 16 21:33:50 2019]
    Super validation has completed.

Now I'm going to copy that file again, rename it again, and attempt to open. If that doesn't work, I'll try an older backup the same way.

• EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    As soon as I click on the main account - the troubled one, it just spins. I'll give it a while, and attempt again. Then I'll try the same thing with the older file. Good to know about validation without opening though!!
    You can also start Quicken without opening a file by holding down a CTRL key while clicking (or double clicking depending on where it is) on the Quicken icon.
    Quicken will start with only the FILE and HELP menus available.

• J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought - have you tried accessing the problem account through the All Transactions register view?
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

Eileen said:
    Results:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index.  No action required.
     "ACCT_1df"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_1df"  0/ 0/1900
    These look fairly serious. I don't think I've ever seen "damaged transaction index".
    So despite these "repairs", it still doesn't work. Starting to run out of ideas, so let's try a little voodoo.
    Repeat the process of validating a .QDF copy of the original .QDF-backup file without opening it. Presumably, you'll see the same reports of repair.
    Now, do it again. Re-validate the same file you just validated without opening it, and see what shows up in the log. Repeat until the log reports nothing required further repair.
    The thinking here is that, with some types of data damage, validate can't fix it all in one pass. It might need a couple of passes. Yes, we're getting into the realm of guesswork, but what have you got to lose?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17
    Have we tried File | File Operations | Copy?

If copying with all dates doesn't clear the issue, you could try copying with different ending dates to see if you can excise the bad data. 

Edit:  Also what about running a transaction report for the problem account? That might let you see the problem transaction(s). 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    @splasher , I didn't know that I could open an account to help without actually opening quicken. I will attmept that too on the newer restored backup. I did get a feb 2019 file working, so I'm just being really careful with anything and everything at the moment!!
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    I left a long reply but its not up here yet. Don't know if it will ever post, but TLDR I got a feb copy working with assistance from Rocketjsquirrel, and I'm attempting a more recent one  in the morning.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel, I havent completed the steps you rec yet. I went off and did an uninstall, a clean UI and a reinstall. Then the mondo update. I'm still not done with that, but I'm following back on that copy old backup and rename and then validate with a different copy open. If that doesn't yield anything positive, will follow your steps.

@mshiggins , we did try that, and a good idea. For some reason it keeps hanging on this one account. I can copy, but I get the same unaccepted transactions, and I can't accept the transactions, and I'm really wondering if its something with Bank of America & Quicken. I also tried a year end copy with just 2018, and got the same red flag on the same account. A transaction report doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, but if I click on a transaction it tries to open it in the register, and that times the program out.

A bit of positive news - the validate on the February file has worked. I can click into all accounts!!  So at worst, I can do three months of updates manually. I backup daily, and I don't know where those went. I guess I keep overwriting the same file?! So I guess I'll have to change that.

Now that I know I have a copy from Late FEB, I'm going to follow RocketJsquirrel and attempt some voodoo!!

• EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    Rocket J Squirrel I went a little off grid and did an uninstall a clean ui install uninstall and a reinstall. I opened a Late february backup, saved as qdf and validated. It was successful in that the problem account was clickable and I can get into the register. So At worst, I'll have three months to do which is a pain, but better than where I was! I'm going to attempt the same idea on the later backup and see what happens. I'm happy with doing three months, well not happy, but better.

@mshiggins I did attempt file operations copy but every time the problem account is not clickable. The program times out. I almost think something went on with Bank of america and quicken, but there is no way to tell. I did a year end report out of curiosity, and used only 2018 dates, and still had the red flag on the same account.  The transaction report is a good idea, but as soon as I click the transaction on that account, it times out.

I'm on to voodoo for the newer copy as recommended by RocketJSquirrel.

I do have one issue on copy.  It's an attachment that isn't showing on a 1/4/2014 transaction in that problem account. I do get an error when copying. It states there is a problem with copying an attachment dated...and asks if I should continue copying attachments. I have said yes and no, and it doesn't matter. The copy completes, the program crashes, and I can open the copy after a restart. HOWEVER - I can't remove the attachment. I've tried three ways. In the transaction by itself, by viewing attachment (and I can't see attachment - its blank) and with the settings wheel, and by reuning a report showing trans with attachments. I can get to delete, but it doesn't delete the supposed attachment. If I'm going with the Late FEB backup that seems to work, I want to delete that attachment so I don't find trouble later....Maybe I'll just recreate the transaction and call that a day on that one!

• EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    I was able to restore a working copy from February, but I did try to restore after validating a copy before the corruption this month. That didn't work. As soon as I even attempted to open it it crashed the program. It's really not cool. It's no fault of my own. Quicken engineers should be able to program this crap where it will work more often than not, and should train tech support well enough to be able to restore whatever we have. People who use this program aren't irresponsible with their files. We're not wily nilly. We're freaking serious! So I"m going to have to call it at the February copy. Thankfully I was able to save that! Thank you all, especially @Rocket J Squirrel .
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    AAAND  then the quicken cloud sync starts as I'm updating my account. WTF?! I can't delete the cloud information. It clearly states I cannot delete the current data set. I've tried. The new update makes it so I can't. WTF?!  I'm so seriously not in the mood. I've missed payments, I don't know where my money is, and I'm seriously on the edge here. My husband changes jobs 3x in the last year, and I'm doing cancer ****. I can't take this anymore. We're seriously broke right now, seriously like I can't feed my kids and I need to refinance but can't!!! I have $8 to last until friday and payday isn't that great. We're not irresponsible - but cancer took everything.This I can't deal with.
    Eileen said:
    AAAND  then the quicken cloud sync starts as I'm updating my account. WTF?! I can't delete the cloud information. It clearly states I cannot delete the current data set. I've tried. The new update makes it so I can't. WTF?!  I'm so seriously not in the mood. I've missed payments, I don't know where my money is, and I'm seriously on the edge here. My husband changes jobs 3x in the last year, and I'm doing cancer ****. I can't take this anymore. We're seriously broke right now, seriously like I can't feed my kids and I need to refinance but can't!!! I have $8 to last until friday and payday isn't that great. We're not irresponsible - but cancer took everything.This I can't deal with.
    To delete the current cloud data set, create a new account (non-mobile) with just a cash account in it.  With it being the currently open data file, you can delete the other data file's cloud account.

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Eileen

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

The persistent Red Flag and errors noted during the Validate & Repair process all indicate that the "unaccepted transactions" are basically phantoms of previous transaction data that are "stuck" in the back-end of the data file - I'd like to look into this a little further and submit a sanitized copy of the data file to our Development Teams for further investigation and debug.

Sanitizing a data file removes all personally identifiable information such as banking credentials and obfuscates the transaction data to ensure your privacy remains intact.

If you would be willing to share a sanitized copy of your data file, please open the problematic data file, then go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line, mark the box for "Sanitized data file" and click Send to Quicken.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can locate the report in the system.

Quicken Cloud Data can be deleted for all data files, except the file that is currently open.  To delete the cloud data for the currently open file, we recommend creating a new, empty data file and deleting the cloud data from the new file.

To do so, please go to the File menu > New Quicken File option.  Name the new file anything, "test" is fine.  Enter your Quicken ID credentials, select "Don't Use Mobile" and when the Add Account window opens, please close it with the cancel button or "x" in the upper right corner.

You should then see the empty data file and go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Cloud Accounts. 

On the right side of the Preferences window click the blue link that says "Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID" and you should now be able to delete the cloud account associated with your working Quicken file, but please let us know how it goes.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    I will share a sanitized copy as soon as I can get the accounts back to current. Thank you for offering to look at it. Hopefully it can help others. I'm in tech support, and you're never the only one with the issue. I'm working 3 months of data back in and transfers bank and forth. Online downloads don't go more than 3 months, so there's an additional 2 weeks that have to be manually put in and imported. I'm having issues with capital one now.  I get a "Unfortunately, your account is not eligible for this service at this time. You'll need to go back to Quicken." from Capital one. I'm going online with them now to attempt to make it work. Maybe its just a password change?! But so far, this is a working file. PIA file but working.
  • EileenEileen Member ✭✭
    Actually not totally working - I have to restart every time I activate or reset any account. I'm basically trying to fake the system out every time.
    Eileen said:
    I'm in tech support, and you're never the only one with the issue.
    @Eileen , I admire your perseverance. But the quoted sentence above does not apply to Quicken. Quicken is the only program I know of which routinely and randomly corrupts its own data. It's the randomness of the corruption which actually makes it possible for a single user to encounter a unique problem.
    So Quicken Support likes to see data files. I'm uncertain whether sanitized files maintain whatever weirdness the unsanitized data contained; mine don't even maintain correct balances for some accounts.
    After creating the sanitized copy, open it in Quicken and make sure your private data are actually obscured. You'll need to extract it from the Zip archive that Quicken needlessly creates (random binary data doesn't compress well) to open it.
    Category and Report names aren't obscured, so if you have any you don't want to share, you'll need to rename them yourself.