Quicken Help window opens when I start Quicken 2019 - using 2 monitors

Whenever I open the Q19 program, the help page opens automatically.  When I close the help window, the program crashes.  If I leave the help page open, the program mostly works, but I can't select any of the drop down menus. This happened overnight - everything was good the night before.

Best Answer

• Accepted Answer
    I uninstalled the program on my desktop, but I will look into your theory and try to re-install.  I made the F1 key a hotkey to open Q, and I believe you have ID'd the issue!

Answers

• Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @dnardozzi --
    Sorry you're experiencing this issue--are you able to grab a screenshot of the Help window you're seeing pop up when you open Quicken?  You should be able to do this with the Windows Snipping Tool.

Also, when you go to Help > About Quicken, what is the build number of your current version?  

Hopefully, this will help us narrow down the issue and get this resolved for you--

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • dnardozzidnardozzi Member
    See attached.
    I cannot select a dropdown menu item - the menu will not stay open and even if I select something, this help window opens.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17
    What are we looking at in your above screen image ?
    Are there 2 screens or monitors -
    or something else to have the two background images displayed ?
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And, curiously, I don't see a Q logo displayed in the area between the 2 screens.
    SO, exactly how are you opening Q?  What are you clicking on?
    If you're clicking on an icon on your desktop, please RIGHT click on it and then click Properties at the bottom of the menu that opens.  What is shown in the "Target" field?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    2 monitors.

Link is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" - it is pinned to the taskbar.

edited May 17
    dnardozzi said:
    2 monitors.
    Link is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe" - it is pinned to the taskbar.
    I updated the topic title - to reflect this may be a TWO monitor issue
    I don't think the number of monitors has anything to do with the problem.
    There have been various postings about problems with ...
    - two monitors
    - large hi-def monitors
    So... try turning off your PC - leave the 2nd monitor OFF -
    boot up and start Quicken (with just the single monitor)
    Will try...
    Well son of a gun - that worked.  Now what?  Do I go back to the 2-screens and it should work?  It had been working on the 2 screens for the 2 weeks that I had it installed, not to mention the 15 yrs before that with previous versions.
    ...and then it stopped working.  Same thing - I did not reconfigure the screens, I was still in single monitor ops.  I think I am going to uninstall and re-install.
    Uninstalled, re-installed, same problem.  I have it working on a laptop for now, but not on my (primary tool) desktop. 

I have to say - I am not at all happy with the latest version of Q.  I had a lot of problems with the cloud as well - I don't want it, but I can't get around it - I had to create a new data file to get rid of the bad data.  Now I can't even use the program!  I hope this is not what we have to look forward to now that it is an annual subscription service - disappointing to say the least.  I feel that I have no options - I have 25 yrs of data in this, and I feel like I am at Q's mercy. 
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    dnardozzi said:
    I had a lot of problems with the cloud as well - I don't want it, but I can't get around it ...

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    Do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    1. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    1. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    1. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID, but on the following screen make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

Thank you - I will turn off the sync.  I don't use it.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @dnardozzi

I'm glad that you were able to turn off the sync, but may I ask, are you still experiencing the issue with the Help window opening automatically?

If so, do you happen to remember if any Windows updates were recently installed?

If not, the "F1" key on your keyboard is a "hotkey" to automatically open the Quicken Help window, is there any chance your F1 key could be stuck?  I know it's a long shot, but just wanted to cover all of our bases ;)

Does Quicken open correctly with no data file loaded?  If you aren't sure, please check by holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and double-click on the Quicken desktop icon to open the program. 

Keep holding down the Ctrl key until Quicken opens to a blank gray screen with only the File & Help menu's at the top left corner.  If Quicken will open without the Help menu automatically opening, please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what release is installed.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Accepted Answer
    I uninstalled the program on my desktop, but I will look into your theory and try to re-install.  I made the F1 key a hotkey to open Q, and I believe you have ID'd the issue!
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @dnardozzi

Thank you for the response and updated information. 

It does indeed sound like we've identified the cause of this issue but please let us know how it goes after re-installing Quicken and if the Help menu continues to open or you experience any other issues opening and using the program :)

Thanks again!

Sarah
    The re-install has worked so far.  It was not a stuck key, but I changed the hotkey setting on my keyboard, and all seems well.  It is 2019 version R18.16, by the way.
This discussion has been closed.