Another rogue "You have online payments to send. Do you want to send them before exiting?" issue..

This started a few weeks back.  Read prior posts about making sure now payments are pending (none found in checking account).  Also tried doing both standard and advanced Validate & Repair file operations.  When doing this, I never get the "completion" message for the file operation and Quicken runs forever (days!!) but with zero disk activity.  I've killed, restarted Quicken, then checked the log file - see nothing of substance there, just says no QDF & QEL errors.  Appears the data file is fine, can use it normally besides the original symptom of always asked to send online payments during file exit.

Any one seen this before, any suggestions?

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Kevin,

Sorry, to hear that you're experiencing this difficulty.

What is the name of the financial institution that you use to send bill pay payments?

Can you also include your year and version of your Quicken by going to Help > About Quicken?

-Quicken Tyka
  • kevinkevin Member
    @ Quicken_Tyka - thanks for the quick response.  I'm running QK2017 Premier for Windows V19.1.  My Bill Pay transactions are sent to Wells Fargo. 
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Kevin,

Does the payment in question contain information in the memo field by chance?

There is a known issue that the payment will get stuck if there is information in the memo field. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853536/why-does-the-you-have-1-online-bill-payment-to-send-alert-appear-beside-an-account#latest

Hope this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka
  • kevinkevin Member
    edited May 21
    @Quicken_Tyka - don't think this is related to my problem.  I don't know what payment is causing this as I see no pending and all scheduled are completed.  Weird...
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello kevin,

Thank you for that additional information. 

May I ask, if you go to the register for your funding account - do any transactions show with a "send" in the check number column?  Or do they all show as "sent"?

If any show as "send", please verify with your Financial Institution that the payment instructions have been received, if so, please delete the transaction from your register and try to close Quicken again - does the message about sending a payment still persist?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah

• kevinkevin Member
    Sarah - all show "sent" - there are none pending with the "send" status.  Again, this is why this problem is so strange.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    " ... don't think this is related to my problem."

What are you basing that comment on?

"I don't know what payment is causing this as I see no pending and all scheduled are completed."

I don't understand why you believe have to know which specific payment is causing the problem. I believe all you have to do to answer Quicken Sarah's question is to determine if ANY of your online payments (including "sent" payments) have text in their Memo field. Quicken Sarah has already told you that text in the Memo field of an online payment can cause what you're seeing

I'm not aware of evidence that the payments that cause the problem must be payments that have NOT been sent - the problem payments may already have been successfully sent, but Quicken may be mistakenly thinking they have not been sent.

Look at your recently sent transactions; look for any that have text in the Memo field. One (or more) of such transactions may be causing the problem.

If you can report that one or more of your online payments has text in the Memo field, perhaps someone at Quicken can tell you what your next step(s) should be.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • kevinkevin Member
    Thanks for the early suggestions on this problem.  Unfortunately, the problem still exists at this point to let me recap the situation:

1) Every time I exit QK2017 Premier for Windows V19.1, I'm told "You have online payments to send."  Accepting results in no new payments sent, and doesn't clear the message.  Manually initiated One Step Update doesn't change this.  Also, online payment are transmitting successfully. 
    2) Per Quicken_Tyka - confirmed Wells Fargo is the online payee
    3) Per Quicken_Sarah - no payments are pending (aka "Send" state)  - all are Sent and confirmed with Wells Fargo they in fact received the transaction requests.
    4) Per Quicken_Tyka -  read the suggested link https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853536/why-does-the-you-have-1-online-bill-payment-to-send-alert-appear-beside-an-account#latest  and don't believe this applies since I have no problem generating and sending new online payments with text in the memo field.
    5) Per MsHiggins - the evidence you're asking about is found in the link Quicken_Tyka provided.  In that thread, Quicken_Sarah recommended to  "...continuing to add the note/memo after sending the payment and that should keep the updates running smoothly."   And the OP confirmed this in fact resolved his issue.  I'm not having this problem, and yes many of my past and current successfully processed online payments have text in the memo field created at time of entry (not post processing).
    6) BTW, I've performed validate and super-validate functions and neither fixed this issue. 

Thanks for the constructive comments, please keep them coming as the Quicken bug still exists for me and likely other customers too.

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From C. D. Bales:
    " ...  many of my past and current successfully processed online payments have text in the memo field created at time of entry ....".

That says "many", but not "all", so not definitive on that score. And it does not define "successfully processed".

If by "successfully processed", you mean the payment was transmitted, the billpayer received the payment instruction and scheduled the payment, and the Quicken transaction was marked as "Sent"; I believe you are (still) missing the point.

I can find no evidence that one of your "successfully processed" billpay transaction can not also be a billpay transaction that Quicken erroneously believes still needs to be "sent". Can you show me somewhere that possibility has been ruled out? [Quicken is not limited to using informationnthat you can see: there may be information hidden in Quicken that says one or more payments need to be sent ... hidden information that conflicts with the information you can see.]

" ... read the suggested link and don't believe this applies since I have no problem generating and sending new online payments with text in the memo field."

Not conclusive. I don't think the suggested link exhausted all the possibilities. See above.

Further: although I certainly can not say that your problem is exactly the same as the problem in the other discussion; I believe it is unlikely that your problem is unrelated. You are using billpay with Wells Fargo, you have had data in the Memo field of billpay transactions you have recently sent, and your problem began in the same general time frame. 

"Also tried doing both standard and advanced Validate & Repair file operations.  When doing this, I never get the "completion" message for the file operation and Quicken runs forever (days!!) but with zero disk activity. .... Appears the data file is fine."

I disagree. If Validate can't finish, there is something wrong with your file. If you did not Validate a Quicken Copy of your data, you should try that, just to cover all the bases. [Validate can't fix (or even report) every data problem.]

["2) Per Quicken_Tyka - confirmed Wells Fargo is the online payee". I assume you mean Wells Fargo is the online billpayer.]

At this stage, I'm guessing that you may be better off trying another approach. I don't see any downside to trying this, other than the time you expend.

- Make a backup of your file
    - Make a Quicken Copy of your file
    - Open that Copy
    - In the Copy
    --- Optional: Super-Validate this file (kill it if it takes too long)
    --- Create a new account of the type from which the online payments are being sent
    --- Move the transactions from the old account to the new account as described in this faq:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7160099/faq-how-do-i-move-transacti
    --- Modify Reminders to refer to the new account, if necessary
    --- Delete the old account

If you no longer have the problem in the new Copy, continue to use that as your regular Quicken file. If the problem remains in that file, you can just revert to your original file.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • kevinkevin Member
    @mshiggins - lots of good conjecture about potential root cause.  Hopefully someone from "Quicken" will see it and be able to help.

Regarding the rebuilding of the online payment account, given the number of transactions I'll give it a try over the weekend and reply with results.  Thx!
This discussion has been closed.