Quicken 2015 - why do I have to keep signing in - I thought I was done with online stuff

Recently I have been forced to sign in to access my information. I thought Quicken would never get in the way of access to my data after April 2018. Instead, it appears they still hold my data hostage, despite their claims that we would have perpetual access to our data. [rant redacted]

Answers

• Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dale. Appreciate your question.

Is it asking for the Quicken or Intuit ID? 

Please let us know so that we can best help you.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • DaleDale Member ✭✭
    Hi Harold,

Thanks for your reply. I am using my email address and a password of my choosing to clear the login prompt/requirement. This credential is the same as the one I was using prior to April 2018 when my Quicken 2015 Windows software went to EOL status.

What is different recently is that from April 2018 through early this year, I only had to perform this login one or twice. I have now been asked for this credential twice this month.

It feel like Quicken has retained the ability to block access to my offline data that I am updating via manual downloads of QIF records. This seems contrary to their claimed policy of continuous, unencumbered access. It appears to me they are acting on bad faith.

Do you have any idea why I would *ever* have to provide any credentials to Quicken?

Thanks,
    Dale
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dale,

The need to sign in with the Quicken ID isn't removed from the software when it discontinues--there isn't any mention of no longer needing to sign in with the Quicken ID in the discontinuation policy. https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

May I ask what policy and documentation you are referring to so I can review and research if this behavior to be expected or if what you are seeing is in error?

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dale ,

Hi Dale,

The reason why the need to sign into Quicken, still is to keep Users from having their data files stolen. Quicken changed from Registering the Quicken Program, to Registering their Quicken Data Files.

If you don't like or want to continue to have to sign in, I would suggest that you replace Quicken with another program, or just use Quicken as a Checkbook Application and don't import any information into Quicken via QIF format.

• DaleDale Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

The document you refer to has the following statement "If you do not need access to live technical support or online services, you can continue to use your existing version of Quicken.". That document also refers to the "Data Access Guarantee" which says "you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. ".

It is true that there is no statement that logins would no longer be required. Neither is there any statement that logins would be required. Neither document mentions logins in the context of Discontinued Products. Therefore the simple language mentioned above should guide and inform the user's understanding of the policy.

It follows from the two plain statements that I should always and forever be able to use the existing version that I purchased a license for (Quicken Windows 2015) to access my data. As long as the operating environment is unchanged and as long as the Quicken 2015 executable is unchanged from their operational states on April 29, 2018, I expect unfettered access to my data.

Asking me to log in is clearly an impediment to this access and allows Quicken to block access to my data based on any number of failures on Quicken's part. There are documented instances of the company's IT function failing and blocking logins. Of course, the company could completely dissolve or any number of other errors could occur. Since I have no maintenance agreement with Quicken, they would not ne interested in resolving my access issue.

I believe that all login prompting should be removed from software products subject to your "Discontinuation Policy". In fact, this is also in Quicken's best interest, as it removes any obligation you would have in maintaining infrastructure to support discontinued product login It interfaces. I see no benefit to either Quicken or to users of discontinued products to continue the login service. In fact, I'd prefer to run Quicken and other financial software on a system that is completely unconnected to any outside network for security reasons.

Thus, I would like you to remove the need for me to login to Quicken to access my data files. Please let me know how you plan to resolve this issue.

Thank You.
    Dale Tyler

@creator - with all due respect, I don't understand why I should be required to change how I use the data stored in Quicken 2015 that is subject to their "Data Access Guarantee". Their documents clearly state that I cannot use online services and I am not doing so. I do obtain data from various sources and import that via manual entry into Quicken.

Hello Dale,

Thank you for including what documentation you were referring too.

I would like to mention that the data access guarantee refers to the subscription version of Quicken 2018/2019 however, that's neither here nor there as a sign in is still required in the 2019 version if the subscription hasn't been renewed.

All I can offer is to change this thread to an Idea thread so others can vote on the idea to have the Quicken ID requirement removed when a product is discontinued. As this is an unsupported product, software patches and updates cease for discontinued products.

Thank you

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • DaleDale Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

The "Data Protection Guarantee" has been referred to for other products, including Quicken Windows 2105.

Are you an employee of Quicken? If so, I believe the requirement to sign in is a material breach of your User Agreement. Asking people on this forum to 'vote' to do something is likely to result in nothing useful, except that more people will know that Quicken is not living up to your User Agreement.

I think the next step to for me to formally notify Quicken of the breach and request resolution. Do you have a contact inside Quicken that I could send a notice.

Having Quicken holding users' data hostage is not acceptable, and as I previously stated, not in either parties interest.

Thanks,
    Dale Tyler
    Hello Dale,

Thank you for the response.

I am a Quicken employee and a moderator of the Quicken Community.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849427/whos-who-on-the-community

I have reached out to see if anything further can be regarding this matter.

In the meantime, one step I have is to try is to hold Control + Shift and then select the one step update arrow all at once.

You should then see the message below.

I would try this step and see if the prompts to sign in cease.

I will respond back once I receive more information on whether something further can be done.

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5
    Hi Dale,
    The Data Access Guarantee applies to our Quicken Subscription product, while Quicken 2015 is a licensed desktop product.  You can see that the two products are called out separately here: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

Though the Data Access Guarantee does not apply to non-subscription versions of Quicken, the login requirement in and of itself does not prevent you from accessing the data you have on your desktop computer; when you log in, you can access your data.  It seems that the reason you're receiving a login prompt more often may be related to you attempting to download QFX files into your Quicken program, which is part of the services that were discontinued when the 2015 version of Quicken was discontinued.

Here is the EULA that applies to your version of Quicken: https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2015

Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • DaleDale Member ✭✭
    Hi Kathryn,

Thanks you for your response.

I had a look at the EULA at https://www.quicken.com/support/eula/quicken-2015. It refers to https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy, in which the originally referenced "Data Access Guarantee" is mentioned. I do see that the is no "Data Protection Policy" mentioned in the non-subscription section linked under the FAQ.

However, as I mentioned previously, the login requirement is not mentioned anywhere in section 5 of the EULA.

As I have said previously, Quicken logins have been problemaitc in the past and if that situation happened again, users with discontinued software would be very low on the priority list to help.

I am curious why Quicken would want to be responsible for ensuring that I have access to my locally stored data. It would seem that you are undertaking a support task that will not help you or your customers. Customers using discontinued products are not interested in online access and many may prefer a totally air gapped installation of Quicken for maximum security.

Also, I do not believe that request for login credentials is tied to my loading data. It seems the prompt occurs at random times, including immediately after program starting on a newly booted system.

Thanks,
    Dale

• DaleDale Member ✭✭
    Hi Tyka,

Thank you for your response. I will try the Control-Shift-Update sequence to see if that fixes my issue. It may take a couple of weeks to be sure that has worked around the problem.

I am curious how "registration" is related to authentication of already registered users.

Maybe the real test would be to prevent Quicken from accessing the internet using the Windows firewall and see if there are any complaints.

Thanks,
    Dale
This discussion has been closed.