Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows

Memorized Transactions or Renaming Rules by Account (1 Merged Votes)

Jan BurchJan Burch Member ✭✭
Memorized Transactions and Renaming Rules are based solely on the Payee or "Quicken Name". Sometimes, the same Payee should have a different settings depending on the Account.

Suggestion: Add a criteria to Memorized Transactions and/or Renaming Rule for Account. Allow user to select one, multiple or All accounts. Default is All Accounts, as it works today.

Example: Say there are multiple accounts that all get transactions from Payee1. The transactions are categorized differently based on the Account. In one Account, it is categorized as a Business Expense, and in another as a Personal Expense and in a third as Rental Expense. If Memorized Transactions and/or Renaming Rules allowed for the Account number, the transactions could be automatically categorized correctly in new downloaded transactions.
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a good idea. Thank you for posting.
    Until somebody comes up with a better solution, how about using distinct Payee Names for these purposes, e.g.,
    • Top Notch Restaurant {Business}
    • Top Notch Restaurant {Family Dinner}
    • etc.
    You can use a different notation other than enclosing the "{Business}" part of the name in curly brackets. "- Business" or "(Business)" would also work, as long as you make a unique Payee Name for each purpose.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you can have multiple entries in the Memorized Payee list for a single payee, each with its own Category.

When you are reviewing downloaded transactions and it has matched to a Payee, you can click on the Payee dropdown and select the the one with the correct category from a short list rather than having to scroll through the categories to pick the correct one. I think it defaults to the first category alphabetically or something; it would certainly be nice if you could specify a per-account default.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • JustMeHereJustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    There are times where you have the same downloaded payee names downloaded into two different accounts, but you need to give them different categories/tags and such.

If a user can restrict a renaming rule to a given account (or set of accounts) then they can rename the payee based on the account and have those two or more renamed payees flow into two or more memorized payees.

Note this request applies to all versions of quicken, ... Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac, and Quicken Canadian.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record:
    There's a lengthy discussion about this Idea here:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20066613#Comment_20066613
    I've added "Windows" to the title of this Idea post to make it easier to differentiate between Mac and Windows Ideas
  • BRETTBBRETTB Member ✭✭✭
    es by account register then to make it even more refined, by date. Why by date for those reoccurring entries with same name? This would fix almost all possible issues.

So you have say one account where where you may pay the same vendor for a different property - Example Electric Bill different properties being paid out of the same bank account - but are paid on different dates of month.

So Auto Name on register level>vendor>date (look at previous month recurring entry and maybe off 1 or 2 days) would be the best one can do and for whatever reason if say had pmt to same vendor, same register, same date - quicken would mark those like they do to match.
  • BeckyOKBeckyOK Member
    I agree. I have rental properties, but pay my own home utilities to the same company as my rental property utility bills, although from different bank accounts. I wish Quicken would allow us to differentiate the renaming rules based upon BANK ACCOUNTS, at least. That would help immensely!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about ...
    Set up and use Scheduled Reminders to pay the utility bills for each of your properties. Use distinct Payee Names so you can easily differentiate between
    • GSP&L {13 Elm St}
    • GSP&L {15 Elm St}
    • etc.
    Pay those bills on or before due date. When the check clears your checking account a few days later, Quicken will see the existing register transaction and match the download to it. No more need for special renaming rules.
    The use of {curly brackets} in the Payee Name field was specifically invented so that you can print checks from Quicken with a correct Pay to order of ... printed on the check, without the text in {brackets} printing on the check, but showing everywhere else in your records. Of course, you can use any other method of creating distinct Payee Names, if you wish.
  • dchooker99dchooker99 Member
    I can't believe a LOT people don't separate their personal and various business-related expenses by having separate accounts/cards for each. Just add an account field to the renaming rules and allow me to tweak it from there.

I order Domino's for my family and pay for it with my personal card. However, I will often times buy my ER nurses lunch / dinner and have pizza delivered and pay from my business account. I even made a different payee name to try to help it distinguish (Domino's vs Dominos MD Exp) and it still wants to rename everything based on one or the other.

I've seen the suggestions using brackets (haven't tried that yet TBH), but it seems like a lot of work on my part when such simple thing as adding that field to the renaming rules would take care of it. I've upvoted. Thanks for the thread!!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe a LOT people don't separate their personal and various business-related expenses by having separate accounts/cards for each. Just add an account field to the renaming rules and allow me to tweak it from there.

I order Domino's for my family and pay for it with my personal card. However, I will often times buy my ER nurses lunch / dinner and have pizza delivered and pay from my business account. I even made a different payee name to try to help it distinguish (Domino's vs Dominos MD Exp) and it still wants to rename everything based on one or the other.

I've seen the suggestions using brackets (haven't tried that yet TBH), but it seems like a lot of work on my part when such simple thing as adding that field to the renaming rules would take care of it. I've upvoted. Thanks for the thread!!

Until the programmers get around to implementing this change, may I recommend you enter at least your business expense transactions (Dominos MD Exp) manually with a correct category before your next transaction download. That takes care of your problem. Quicken will recognize the already existing correctly categorized register transaction and match the downloaded transaction to it (and not create a duplicate or some other problems)
  • jlevoniusjlevonius Member
    Please enhance Quicken to allow account specific renaming rules. For example, if Credit Card Acct #1 downloads a transaction called "Payment Received - Thank you" then allow me setup a renaming rule specific to the Credit Card Acct #1 account. Credit Card Acct #2 will also likely download a transaction also called "Payment Received - Thank you" and I'd like to rename that transaction differently, and specific to the Credit Card Acct #2 account.

Also, allow a renaming rule option to automatically add the downloaded transaction to the register if all conditions of the renaming rule are met.

Basically, look at how QuickBooks does renaming rules. Their renaming feature is very powerful. Copy it!