Seeing budgeted expenses under planning tab

I’ve been using Quicken a long time, but suddenly I can’t display my budgeted expenses under the planning tab. I see the budgeted income but I can’t get to the expenses. What am I missing? Did something change?? I created the budget back in January. I can see them on a budget report but not for planning.

W10, Quicken 2017 Premier

Best Answer

• WSCWSC ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The validate exercise fixed the problem and the log tells me what happened, if I'm interpreting it correctly. I can see everything under the Planning tab as expected.

The log noted this (in addition to a few other things that seem trivial):

“QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List…..

Category "Loan Payment:Interest" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.
    Category "Loan Payment:Principal" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.
    Category "Loan Payment:ZZZZZ" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.”

I had just obtained a promissory note of which I am the recipient of the interest. I successfully created the promissory note account in Quicken as per Help instructions and the “Loan payment” category and subcategories of interest and principle. I did change them from being expenses to incomes and I'm guessing that Quicken didn’t like how I did that for whatever reason. The notes above mention these categories but I'm not sure how to interpret what I did wrong.

When I look in my Category list, they are still listed as Income, which is what I want.

I notice that my copied file is about 4MB smaller than the original. Should I be concerned? (157.2MB vs. 153.2MB) Everything looks fine in my accounts via “eyeball-ometric.” Should I swap file names and use the new file?

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• WSCWSC Member ✭✭
    In case it isn't clear here, I'm trying to edit the current budget. I can change the budgeted incomes but can't get to the expenses.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @WSC

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Are you still experiencing this behavior in Quicken?

If so, to be sure we are understanding the situation correctly, when going to the Planning tab in Quicken > Budgets and clicking the "select categories to budget" link at the bottom of the budget view; the window that opens only lists your income categories and no expense categories are visible?

Or do the expense categories appear and are selected but still do not appear in the budget?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • WSCWSC Member ✭✭
    Hi Sarah,

Yes, I have already done as you suggested. I’ve been using Quicken for two or three decades and never had this trouble. I can see the categories to budget as you displayed just fine and they’re correct. At the top, I can see the budgeted income details but there’s no access to the expenses here. On the left, I have “+ Personal Income”, “+ Rental Property Income”, and “+Rental Property Expenses.” No “+ Personal Expenses”. (See attachment).

Thanks for your help.

WSC
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Please perform the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• WSCWSC Member ✭✭
    Oh, I installed the update weeks ago and I power down every night. (I have a desktop.) I have R19.1
  • WSCWSC Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The validate exercise fixed the problem and the log tells me what happened, if I'm interpreting it correctly. I can see everything under the Planning tab as expected.

The log noted this (in addition to a few other things that seem trivial):

“QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List…..

Category "Loan Payment:Interest" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.
    Category "Loan Payment:Principal" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.
    Category "Loan Payment:ZZZZZ" re-assigned from "Personal Expenses" category group to "Personal Income" category group.”

I had just obtained a promissory note of which I am the recipient of the interest. I successfully created the promissory note account in Quicken as per Help instructions and the “Loan payment” category and subcategories of interest and principle. I did change them from being expenses to incomes and I'm guessing that Quicken didn’t like how I did that for whatever reason. The notes above mention these categories but I'm not sure how to interpret what I did wrong.

When I look in my Category list, they are still listed as Income, which is what I want.

I notice that my copied file is about 4MB smaller than the original. Should I be concerned? (157.2MB vs. 153.2MB) Everything looks fine in my accounts via “eyeball-ometric.” Should I swap file names and use the new file?

Thanks for your help.