Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Having trouble with manual entry of retirement account information

I inherited part of a retirement account which is sending me required minimum distributions. I am trying to record it correctly in Quicken. The bank statements describe a "Minimum distribution withdrawal" of X dollars. The number of shares and Unit/share price are labeled "n/a". I believe that for this pension account, each share is worth $1.

When I try to enter this data in Quicken as X shares sold, the amount shows up correctly in the share column but is not registered as X dollars in the cash column.

The next manual entry would need to transfer that cash to my other bank account, so I can't do that correctly if Quicken is only seeing that as shares, not $.

What is the correct way to process this transaction?

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you sell 100 shares at $1/share, you should have $100 in the Total Sale box. When you Enter the transaction, you should have $100 in the Cash Amount column.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Dyon KlempnerDyon Klempner Member ✭✭
    It's not working that way. I show the correct amount in the Share Balance column and the correct subtraction in the Inventory Amount column, but the Cash Amount column says "N/A". That's what I need to fix. It won't let me enter the amount manually, either.
    Is the Account type Traditional IRA? Are you clicking the Enter Transactions box to manually create the transaction? Please post a screenshot.
    I don't know if this account is a traditional IRA or a 401k or similar pension arrangement. It is labeled TIAA Traditional. I added it to my Quicken accounts in the spring of 2018, and you can see that the automatic downloads are recording these sales correctly, and putting the proceeds in the cash columns. But the distributions to checking were not updating and I have added those manually.

Now I'm trying to go back to the year before and manually add the historical information from 1/1/2017 onward. Yes, I used the Enter Transactions box to do that. But you see the entry doesn't look like the ones that downloaded the year after.
    Why do you have Added transactions with a 0 share balance? I need to see the details of the Sold transactions that have a Cash Amt of N/A. Also, you have 2 Placeholder Entries which probably shouldn't be there.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Greg that it's the Placeholders that are screwing things up.  That's why you've got that string of N/A at the top of your graphic.
    Fix the placeholders, and everything should start working as expected.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Okay, I've been working on it. The placeholders are only part of the problem. Need to go back and read my Quicken manually s-l-o-w-l-y and carefully. A lot of things are screwed up, even with the downloaded information. It's keeping track of sales, but not of interest and reinvestment. It's recording as "stocks added" entries that are really interest being reinvested. It's downloading information for the Traditional account, but not the CREF stock account. Maybe I need to set that up as a separate investment. When the stocks earn interest, that gets reinvested, but the share price is different every time and I don't see any place where it's recording how many shares I added. My head hurts.
This discussion has been closed.