Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Why don't the manually entered transactions show up when reconciling?

I manually entered numerous transactions into two accounts and none of them show up when I go to reconcile. I entered when running 2017 when the problem occurred and upgraded to 2019. I have restarted both Quicken and the computer. I have done this process for years and have not had this problem.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the date of those manual transactions?
    IF you download into that account, what's the "Downloaded Posting Date" of those transactions (click the GEAR icon immediately above the right slider bar to find the option to show this date).
    What is the As-of Date (AKA, the "statement date") of the reconciliation?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • KitKit Member ✭✭
    The date of posting was yesterday, the ending date of the statements were June 8 & 9 2019. Unfortunately my bank does not yet support downloading to Quicken.
    OK, so you manually input a transaction with a date of 6/9/19.
    But, how can a bank statement have TWO "statement dates"?
    A statement dated 6/8 can not possibly have a transaction on it that's dated 6/9.
    The purpose of a reconcile it "to compare". You're comparing your bank statement to what you're showing in Q.  So no Q transaction that dated after the as-of date (i.e., "statement date") can possibly have cleared the bank and thus be eligible for the reconcile.

• KitKit Member ✭✭
    There are two statements for different accounts and in different files.
    OK, let's please stick to one account for the time being ... just to avoid confusion.
    Did you manually input the 6/8 transaction into the account with the 6/8 statement or the 6/9 statement?
    And, since 6/8 is a Saturday, how can that transaction have possibly cleared the bank on a Saturday and thus appeared on a statement dated either Saturday or Sunday?
  • KitKit Member ✭✭
    Okay, one account. Beginning date 5/8/19, ending date 6/9/19 (yes that is a Sunday but that is what is on the statement). I manually entered the transactions for this checking account yesterday, 6/9/19. I am not sure what the closing date or the day of manually entering the information has to do with the transactions not showing up in the reconciliation window when attempting to reconcile the account. Do I need to reenter everything? The closing date on the other account was 6/8/19 with the same problem so I don't think the closing date is the problem.
    According to the physical statement that's in your hand, what date did that 6/9 transaction clear the bank?
  • KitKit Member ✭✭
    Interest was credited to the account on 6/9, there was also a credit on 6/7. I entered transactions starting on 5/10 through 6/5. Please explain to me why the dates are important. It is the fact that I am unable to reconcile the account as the manually entered transactions do not show up in the reconciliation window so I am unable to reconcile the account.
    If you had bothered to read that link that I previously provided ... you'd understand why dates are important.
    AND, if you had bothered to read this, you'd understand why dates are important.
    • "The purpose of a reconcile it "to compare". You're comparing your bank statement to what you're showing in Q.  So no Q transaction that dated after the as-of date (i.e., "statement date") can possibly have cleared the bank and thus be eligible for the reconcile."

• KitKit Member ✭✭
    We certainly are not communicating. All of the transactions I listed came directly off the statement so all were within the beginning and end dates of the statement. I understand that if a transaction was outside of the statement dates they would not show up. What I don't understand is why don't the manually entered transactions that were listed on the statement do not show up when reconciling the account. My question is how do I resolve this issue. Do I need to delete all the transactions I entered and reenter them? Is this something that will happen in the future?
    Once again, the transactions were entered off of the statement, the statement closing date was entered correctly, there were no transactions entered that came after the closing date on the statement.
  • KitKit Member ✭✭
    I should add that I have attempted to reconcile the account starting from the tools menu numerous times with the same result.
This discussion has been closed.