Opening Balance Keeps Changing (Q Mac)

Quicken for Mac Version 5.11.0 (Build 511.25626.100) macOS 10.14.5

The starting balance for one of my accounts keeps changing. Everything is reconciled. When I balance to the statement each month, it is always off and it is always the opening balance that I have to change back. It should be a negative number, but it always reverts to a positive number. This problem occurred after I had to restart my Quicken file and rebuild everything, because the Quicken for Mac doesn't have an archive function.
Tagged:

Comments

• me too
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dukeofoxboro,

Sorry, you have yet to receive a response.

I would try deleting the opening balance and recreating by adding a new transaction for the same amount.

A new transaction can be created by selecting the + at the bottom of the register.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • DukeofFoxboroDukeofFoxboro Member ✭✭
    That was one of the things I tried and it was unsuccessful.
    Hello DukeofFoxboro,

Do you then see the opening balance that you created and then a second opening balance is created? The opening balance will be a light grey color.

What is the date of the opening balance? 

What type of account is this?

Let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    Yes, it created a second opening balance. The date of the opening balance is December 22, 2018. It is a credit account.
    Just noticed it happening on a different account, so I first created a new transaction with the correct opening balance, and then deleted the Quicken generated opening balance. At the moment the ending balance is correct, but will not know if it actually works until it consistently remains correct. I will report back. Thank you.
  • SnevigSnevig Member ✭✭
    Hi DukeofFoxboro,

I have this problem also and made several attempts to correct it, but Quicken always reverts to the original downloaded opening balance. When I set up my checking account about a week ago, the opening balance on 3/31 was off by several thousand dollars. Reconciling creates the correct adjustment, but the correct balance is shown for today (7/7) and afterwards and not for the earlier transactions. I'd like it to show the correct balance from the beginning if possible.

I'll try your solution. Did it work over the long term? If not, have you found a better one? Thanks!
    Hello Snevig,

Unfortunately, and I'm very sorry to report, that I just checked and found the opening balance once again to be incorrect.
    Hello all,

Sorry, to hear that this issue is still ongoing.

The issue may lie within the account in Quicken.

I would start by going to File > Save a Backup

I would create a new manual account and move the transactions from the existing account to this new account.

To add an account select the + and choose the account type.

Select Options and choose to enter Transactions manually.

Open the existing account and Hold Command + A on the keyboard to mass highlight all transactions. Then drag and drop these into the new account.

Depending on how many transactions are in the account, this process may take some time to fully complete.

If you have scheduled transactions you will get a pop-up, you'll want to select Move Series.

I would then right click on the previous account and delete this account.

I would remove the opening balance in the new account.

Finally, I would go to Settings in the bottom right and select 'Set up Transaction Download'

If the opening balance is incorrect again, I would attempt to remove this and recreate the opening balance and see if this corrects the issue.

Let me know if you have any questions and if this corrects the issue!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • SnevigSnevig Member ✭✭
    @DukeofFoxboro, @Quicken_Tyka,

Thanks for the quick reply. I created an adjustment entry for 3/28 with the correct opening balance (per my bank's online transaction history), deleted the original one for 3/31 with the downloaded balance, then reconciled the account using the online balance. I got a warning that I was deleting a reconciled transaction and that it will affect my balance, but went ahead anyway. When I cleared the new adjustment entry during reconcile my difference was zero, so my Quicken/offline balances now matches my online balances for all my transactions from 3/28 to present (7/7).

I'm hoping that the reconcile will make the change stick, although it didn't stick when I directly modified the original adjustment entry in my earlier attempts.

I'll find out soon enough if this works. Either way I'll post the results within a day or so.
  • SnevigSnevig Member ✭✭
    So far it appears that the corrected opening balance adjustment is still correct after 2+ days, and that it didn't revert to the original incorrect opening balance. To summarize, I followed what @DukeofFoxboro reported doing on June 19, and additionally reconciled the account using the online balance, during which I cleared the corrected adjustment.

I'll report back if it reverts again to the incorrect value.
This discussion has been closed.