Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Password vault limitations

The most secure passwords are 35 or more characters long and even better are passphrases. Chase and TD Ameritrade both realize and allow passphrases or long passwords. The password vault will not store either of these. Therefore, if I use One Step Update, I have to use a less secure password for my accounts.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO, use a long password to protect your computer ... so if no one can get onto the computer, it doesn't matter what SMALL fraction of risk you take with shorter Q passwords.
    Any password over about a dozen characters is virtually unbreakable ... unless one has unlimited access to you computer.
    Do you REALLY distrust your family that much?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Jim LylesJim Lyles Member ✭✭
    Think you have a strong password? Hackers crack 16-character passwords in less than an HOUR
    During an experiment for Ars Technica hackers managed to crack 90% of 16,449 hashed passwords
    Six passwords were cracked each minute including 16-character versions such as 'qeadzcwrsfxv1331' This was written in 2013!

You may want to rethink the importance of password strength. A hacker using 100 strong computers?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OFX specification limits the USERPASS to 32 characters.  If the OFX server supports the Type 1 protocol, the password limit is 171 characters: http://www.ofx.net.

Regarding password strength, if you haven't already, you may want to review: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength  I suggest generating your passwords using a random password generator and maintaining the passwords using a password manager.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA you missed the point. If Quicken won’t allow long passwords, then the passwords on the bank sites must also be short. Family members on the home computer are not the worry.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complex passwords, like extra deadbolts on your doors, only protect you from your friends and inept crooks.  The talented crooks can beat both given enough time and desire.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

" Hackers crack 16-character passwords in less than an HOUR"
    With unlimited access to the computer and NO password on the computer itself.
    I already addressed that issue.
    @NotACPA you missed the point. If Quicken won’t allow long passwords, then the passwords on the bank sites must also be short. Family members on the home computer are not the worry.
    Which makes it a bank problem ... and not a Quicken problem.
    The banks/cards/brokers/etc need to address this so that Q can respond appropriately.
    It can NOT be addressed from the Q side.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Which makes it a bank problem ... and not a Quicken problem.
    The banks/cards/brokers/etc need to address this so that Q can respond appropriately.
    It can NOT be addressed from the Q side.
    I disagree. I don't know what the specific numbers are, but for the sake of argument, let's say
    • Bank X allows 128 character passwords
    • Quicken allows 32 character passwords
    Now the user is forced to use a 32 character password on his bank web site due to Quicken's limitation.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.