In the category split window, amount is wrong

I download a transaction. It is a deposit, positive number. I open the window to split the transaction to several categories, and the amount comes up as a negative number.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the total amount of the deposit?  And what are the individual split lines, with their respective amounts?
    The best way to show the split lines is to take a snapshot, using Win's "Snipping Tool" and then post it here using the Landscape icon (NOT the "paper with a folded corner" icon) at the top of your reply.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • LtripLtrip Member ✭✭
    Here are 2 snapshots. One, the downloaded transaction that shows a positive number. The other with the split screen showing a negative number. I believe it is a bug in the latest Quicken release.
  • LtripLtrip Member ✭✭
    By the way, I found an alternative way to accept the transaction the way I need to. But my concern still exists.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know how to access the OFX log file in Quicken?
    Browsing backward through the log file, try to locate this downloaded transaction. Post a snapshot image of the text of this transaction into your next response (that's a block of lines usually surrounded by STMTTRN and /STMTTRN lines)
    It's possible that the coding for this line is incorrect and needs to be fixed by either the bank or the Quicken support team.
    Ltrip said:
    Here are 2 snapshots. One, the downloaded transaction that shows a positive number. The other with the split screen showing a negative number. I believe it is a bug in the latest Quicken release.
    In your Download.jpg, the Description field is the most screwed up thing that I believe I've ever seen.
    Can you please describe what's going on with it, what financial institution produced it and what type of account (in Q) it's going into? 
    From the presence of the Action column in that JPG, it would appear that this is going into an Investment account.  Do you have the account set up as an Investment in Q?
  • LtripLtrip Member ✭✭
    UKR and Notacpa, Thanks for your responses.
    The downloaded transaction comes from Schwab brokerage. It is a transfer of $4.59 from an IRA account into a Schwab bank checking account. The picture of the downloaded transaction is in the account of the bank checking account. It shows as a deposit, a positive number. That is accurate. However, when I open the split window, it becomes a negative number. I do NOT think this is a Schwab issue or something wrong in the QFX file. But certainly you know more than me. In my opinion, it is Quicken that is changing it from positive to negative.
    In any case, I found an alternative way to accept the transaction the way I want. It is not a problem for me anymore. But I think it is a problem with Quicken. Yes, I installed the latest and greatest update. That is when this started.
    By the way, I have used Quicken for over 10 years. I am not a rookie, and not an expert. This is the first time the split window has changed the sign of a number.
    Cheers,
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Why is your IRA Transferring such a small amount to your checking account?  That doesn't sound right.   You should only have Distributions and withdraws and RMD transferred from an IRA.  You might have to pay tax on the 4.59.  
    A transfer of money between accounts MUST BE a negative number in one of them and a positive number in the other.
    That's how accounting works.  So that the net effect is that they balance each other out ... and you're neither richer nor poorer as a result.
  • LtripLtrip Member ✭✭
    Volvogirl, Your question/comment is irrelevant to the issue I have raised....no offense. I closed the IRA account. A little was left in to settle. Yes, tax is being paid on it. That is PRECISELY why I went into the split screen. The issue is that the downloaded transaction in the non-IRA account came through as a positive number, but when I enter the split screen it becomes negative.
    Notacpa, Please, I am not that dumb. The transaction is a negative in the IRA account. I am working in the non-IRA account. As I have said before, the downloaded transaction into the non-IRA account is a positive number. That is correct. The issue is when I open the split screen, it becomes negative.

As I have said, I found a different way to deal with it. I still believe this is a problem in Quicken.
    "The picture of the downloaded transaction is in the account of the bank checking account."
    That can't be.  It shows an ACTION column which is only present in Investment accounts.
    But that Action column is empty ... so we can't tell WHAT happened with that transaction other than it's money coming into the Investment account.
    NOTHING you've shown us depicts the money going to the Bank account.
    And the graphic with the split doesn't help anything ... since we don't know what the transaction the register looks like.  OR what account this appeared in.
This discussion has been closed.