Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

R20.15 - Still Does Not Preserve Window Size and Position

This defect is still not fixed. It is an extreme waste of time having to resize and reposition the tiny window R19.44 opens. Hardly suitable in size for an error massage.

I followed the [removed] instructions here;

"www.quicken.coms/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken"

with no success. [removed]

Might they at least provide a link to the previous just fine version? The QW27.1.18.16MPatch seems pretty long in the tooth?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • schneidernetus
    schneidernetus Member
    edited July 2019
    As did not the two previous updates. Solution is manually drag to corner of screen, then drag other corner over and to bottom of screen. [removed]
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    What two updates are you referring to?  I have Q2019 R19.55 / Windows 10 and do not have this issue.  I normally have Quicken open in a Window not full screen.
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    I have also experienced, and posted to the forum, the same window size/position problem after updates from Quicken HB&RP 18.16 to 19.36, 19.44, and, now, 19.55. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903 on 3 different PCs (Asus, HP, & Intel). Window size and position numbers are found in QUSER.INI, which is located in the Quicken\config folder in %APPDATA%.

I've done further testing and must conclude there is a definite bug in the version 19.xx fork related to window size and position: Quicken will only keep the size & position of the window if the position of the left edge of the window is at a lower pixel number than the pixel width of the window, i.e., Left < Width. Otherwise, it opens in the small, useless window. BTW, I call this a "definite bug" because it's reproducible, anti-productive, and stupid.

Here's an example. My screen is 1920 x 1080 pixels. Assume I want my Quicken window to occupy the right 1/2 of my screen. The QUSER.INI values SHOULD
    be:

State=Normal
    Width=960
    Height=1080
    Left=960 <--- Note, Left = Width (not good)
    Top=0

When I start Quicken 19.55 with these values, it opens into the small, useless window described in this thread and overwrites QUSER.INI with the garbage values. However, if I change the parameters to:

State=Normal
    Width=960
    Height=1080
    Left=959 <--- Note, now Left < Width (good)
    Top=0

then, great Joy in Mudville, Quicken now opens in (almost) the window I wanted.

I actually prefer my Quicken window to be 920 pixels wide with left edge at 1000. Sadly, that triggers the bug since Left=1000 > 920=Width.

For those lucky folks who prefer their Quicken window either maximized to full-screen or positioned at the LEFT edge of the screen, this bug does not inconvenience you in any way.

@schneidernetus: I feel your pain from personal experience.

@Snowman: This bug started, I believe, with the version 19.xx fork when Quicken decided to drop .NET. I have personally observed it in 19.36, 19.44, and 19.55. I'm curious about Window size & position numbers that work for you.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @CurPro
    Good sleuthing, I have never experienced this since I have Q to the left.
    It is interesting how little differences in how it is used cause it to working so differently.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Tom16
    Tom16 Member
    Just updated to 19.55 which does not solve the problem created in 19.44. I use a 3 monitor setup and open Quicken in the right monitor. After 19.44 Quicken opens in the main monitor in a small window. If you adjust the size of the window and move it to the right monitor and close, it will open in the main monitor in a small window. If you open, resize and close in the main monitor, it will be the same size and position. I'm glad i have a subscription with free updates, I would've missed out on this aggravation otherwise.
  • 20.15 was supposed to fix the display issues - but I'm still seeing the display issue. However, my window location/size "conforms" to what CurPro posts:

[Window]
    State=Normal
    Width=1448
    Height=1147
    Left=230
    Top=7

But yet I get the same display issue (pictures posted in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7854859/display-issues-after-19-44-update). And yes - this started when the .NET dependency was removed...
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    After the Windows 19.44 patch, I started to have display scaling issues (Quicken for Windows 19.44 release includes the removal of the .NET framework from Quicken). I have installed the R20.15 update which was supposed to fix this issue but unfortunately for me, the issue still exists.

I have attached a .pdf showing the issue I am having. I am running Windows 7 on a Mac thru Parallels (before the 19.44 patch no issues at all).

If I turn on Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings, it looks someone better but the headers at the top are extremely small and some other issues other places.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I just noticed that my Qwin R20.15 startup / main screen must be defaulting to the center of the screen.  I have the Windows Snipping Tool peeking out just below the bottom edge of the Quicken screen, and yet when Quicken starts - it covers the icon - so I have to drag the screen up just slightly

[EDIT] updated topic title to reflect current R20.15 level

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config

[Window]
    State=Normal
    Width=1064
    Height=600
    Left=49
    Top=97  <<--------------  defaults back to center of screen

[Window]
    State=Normal
    Width=1064
    Height=600
    Left=50
    Top=58  <<------------------ moved up a little to uncover hiding icon

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • fukumotos
    fukumotos Member ✭✭
    Look at xQ20-1. This is the Quicken Home page, no problem.
    Click "-" to get out the Home page from the screen.
    Then re-display the Quicken.
    Look at xQ20-3. The Home page changes and the bar graph gets larger and important info is pushed out.
    In order to correct this, I have to close and reopen the Quicken. Then, I get xQ20-1.

This is only major issue R20.15 for my two Windows 7s.
    I did not have this problem in R18 and R19.

Is this a known problem for R20.15?
    Am I doing wrong?
    How can I fix this?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you able to display 1920 x 1080? If so, I would suggest setting to that resolution. Quicken works best at this resolution.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • fukumotos
    fukumotos Member ✭✭
    My resolution 1600x900 max.
    Why is xQ20-1 displayed correctly?
    It occurs only re-display. WHY?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest resetting the Windows Display text size to the default.  
  • fukumotos
    fukumotos Member ✭✭
    As Sherlock suggested, I changed the text size to 100% from 150%. The problem has gone.
    Since the fonts are too small, i checked the large fonts.
    The large fonts need 1280x1024 resolution but my resolution is 1600x900.
    However, I have not seen any serious problem so far.
    Thank you.
  • maxryan
    maxryan Member
    This whole display thing is VERY irritating... hope it gets resolved soon.
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    As a followup to my previous reply, I upgraded to R20.15 and the window size & position problems I described above appear to have been fixed. I tested on 3 PCs: all 1920 x 1080 resolution, one with Nvidia graphics at 100% scaling (Windows' recommends 100%) and 2 with Intel HD at 125% scaling (Windows recommends 150%).
    Quicken is still buggy, but at least now it's back to the old, familiar bugs for me, which is nice.
This discussion has been closed.