_DivInc actuals are incorrect - excluding DivX transactions

Under the Planning / Budgets tab - When I try to set my budget for 2019 and display Actuals Only, the _DivInc category displays ONLY those dividends that were reinvested (ReinvDiv) and excludes cash dividends (DivX) that transfer to the associated Cash Account. This has never been a problem until recently.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    From C. D. Bales:
    Quicken shows DivX transactions in the transfer category, "FROM InvestmentAccountName" in Planning > Budgets (where "InvestmentAccountName" is the name of the investment account where the DivX transaction is recorded). 

Quicken does not treat DivX transactions the same in Budget reports as it does in a Budget; in Budget reports, DivX transactions are categorized as _DivInc just like other Div and ReinDiv transactions. 

[A DivX transaction is actually a split transaction: split line 1 is the positive amount of the dividend, assigned to the category _DivInc; split line 2 is the negative amount of the dividend, assigned to the transfer category of the TO account in square brackets - removing the dividend amount from the account and making the transaction net amount zero. So, it appears that in a budget, Quicken is using the category of the transfer split line; while in the budget report, Quicken uses the category of the _DivInc split line. Not sure why that is.]

You can include the DivX amounts in the _DivInc budget and the budget amount should appear correctly in the Budget report - even though the budget will appear to be incorrect.

That treatment has existed since at least Q2016.

[One way to capture the DivX amount is to create a Tag for DivX transactions - name it, "DivX", for example. Assign that tag to DivX transactions (by suffixing a forward slash to the transfer category, followed by the tag name). You can later select and subtotal in reports using that tag. Alternatively, include text such as "DivX" in the DivX memo field - you can select transactions based on that memo text in reports.]

[Tested in Q2016, Q2017, and Q2019 R18.16]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Bill BakerBill Baker Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation. The question in my mind is WHY? This makes using ACTUALS in Budget useless, very user unfriendly, and not the way it used to be before Quicken way over-complicated the entire budget process. The friendly process, in my opinion, would display both types of dividends in ACTUALS, just as it does in the Budget Reports.