Highlighting transactions (3 Legacy Votes)

I would like to highlight transactions that need further attention. That would be a lot easier than flagging them.
Tagged:
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• PeterPeter Member
    edited August 12
    In my credit card registers, I would like to have my statement periods a different color.  Just need two colors but I want to be able to see, visually, when my statement ends in the register.  Right now I put *****END OF STATEMENT***** in memo section of the last transaction so I can quickly see what are new period transactions.
  • PeterPeter Member
    edited October 2018
    Not really, you can have transactions that are "c" or "R" and still not know where your statement ends.  What I am asking is the last transaction of my ending statement period is one color, then the next transaction is another.  I find myself sifting through statements from time to time but I can never tell when the billing period ends.  So really "c" & "R" have nothing to do with what I'm asking.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22

Not really, you can have transactions that are "c" or "R" and still not know where your statement ends.  What I am asking is the last transaction of my ending statement period is one color, then the next transaction is another.  I find myself sifting through statements from time to time but I can never tell when the billing period ends.  So really "c" & "R" have nothing to do with what I'm asking.

But what if a transaction that occurs late in the billing period doesn't appear on that statement, but rather the next statement.
    I which case you'd be asking for color coding at the transaction level.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • edited August 13
    I use the flag colours to differentiate what type of transaction it is (ie. blue - I have digital backup / green - I have paper backup / white - matches my monthly budgetting spreadsheet / red - needs me to look into / yellow - explanations for tax purposes.  I really want a couple more flag colours for some other identifiers.  Is it possible to add more colour flag options in an upgrade?  
  • John AveryJohn Avery Member
    edited August 14
    I would like the capability to use different colors with both numbers and letters/words within data fields. This capability would enhance one's ability to find entries more readily. For example, one could color deposits to accounts in blue; withdrawals in red. As now, black could remain for normal entries. A choice for yellow or purple for Notes or memos you want to highlight. I believe this change should be easy to place within the Quicken program and would enable older folks like me to find particular words, sentences or numbers more quickly.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems pretty easy already, especially since you can filter a register to only show flagged transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also sort your register by the Flag column. This sorts the transactions by flag color, which could be useful. Notice in the screen shot the flags go red, yellow, blue.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • BrillyintsBrillyints Member
    edited August 31
    I utilize the flag feature for individual transactions quite a bit. There are some annoying parts to this though. It would be nice to be able to customize the names of each flag color, for one thing. But also, currently I have to (1) select the transaction, (2) click the "[flag]+" icon (which, as a side note, opens up the notes dialog--often irrelevant for my purposes), (3) check the "Flag this transaction" box, (4) select the flag color from the drop-down list, (5) click OK. Another inconsistent part is that this doesn't require saving the transaction like any other modifications do--it's just automatically associated.

I'd love to be able to just have the flag drop-down available directly from the transaction where I can select a flag that I've assigned a name to. No dialog, no remembering the meanings of flag colors, etc.

I could use the tag feature instead, but I'm not able to filter by tag name alone, which is frustrating. Along similar lines, it's kinda weird that although I can filter by "Flagged", I'm not able to filter by "Not flagged"... or by a specific flag color/type. (Filtering is a completely different topic though, so eventually I'll create a new post for that.) But also, tags appear to be associated with each individual split item rather than the entire transaction, so that's potentially not as straightforward either.

Combining all the features of flags (colors, filtering, narrow column that takes very little space) with all the features of tags (assigning multiple, fewer steps, custom names) would be amazing. :)