Unidentified Security-Fidelity

I have been having this issue for over a year and not sure why. Quicken does not recognize any new mutual funds downloaded from Fidelity for my retirement/401k account. This only became a problem when I moved over to the subscription last year. It only affects new funds purchased or added. Any funds that I held prior to the subscription are still recognized fine by Quicken, including new transactions within that fund. Can someone help? Here is some information:

1. Using the latest version of Quicken (verified).
2. I have other accounts at Fidelity that update fine. This only affects my retirement account with Fidelity.
3. My account has two retirement account numbers. The first is where my deductions are placed and the second is what is called a BROKERAGELINK account. That allows me to invest in funds outside of what my company offers. Again, these all operated just fine (transfers, downloads, purchases, etc) prior to the switch over to the subscription service.
4. Transactions are downloaded from the NetBenefits website (through One-Step Update).
5. Fidelity does not have a direct download option on their website other than a CSV file. I can only download activity from Fidelity through Quicken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 1975Jumby1975Jumby Member ✭✭
    One additional comment - When the mutual fund transaction downloads to quicken, it defaults to BONDS BOUGHT and while the total amount of the transaction is correct, the price per share and the amount of shares is always incorrect. This only happens to new funds in my portfolio and not any existing funds with new transactions.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a security is imported, Quicken attempts to match the security's CUSIP number  with an existing security in Quicken.  If there is no match, Quicken should prompt the user to provide the matching security.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review the OFX Log (select Help > Log Files).  

To reset a security's CUSIP number in Quicken, edit the security, uncheck Matched with online security, and, on a subsequent import of an unassigned CUSIP, you should be able to select the security.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the actual security held in that NetBenefits account?  Is it truly bonds? Or a bond fund?  Or what?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Thanks for the response. I believe this is the problem because none of my new securities have the CUSIP number. I read this solution on a few other threads, but when I try to edit the security, the "MATCHED WITH ONLINE SECURITY" field is ghosted and does not allow me to check or uncheck it. Also, Quicken has never asked me to match the security during the download. Is there a fix to this?
    @NotACPA - All of the securities that are downloading are mutual funds. Two of them are bond funds, but none of the others.
    But even the Bond funds should be downloading as Funds ... not Bonds.  Did you set up, in Q, these bond funds as bonds ... or as Funds?
    Do TOOLS, Security List, click on the name of each bond fund and then, for each, look at the "TYPE" field under Security Details.
    It's the Asset Class that should be set as Bonds ... not the investment type.
    1975Jumby said:
    Thanks for the response. I believe this is the problem because none of my new securities have the CUSIP number. I read this solution on a few other threads, but when I try to edit the security, the "MATCHED WITH ONLINE SECURITY" field is ghosted and does not allow me to check or uncheck it. Also, Quicken has never asked me to match the security during the download. Is there a fix to this?
    The Matched with online security is ghosted because the security does not have a CUSIP.  

Again,  I suggest you review the OFX Log (select Help > Log Files).  You want to determine the CUSIP number Fidelity NetBenefits provides for the security and the security in Quicken which has that CUSIP number.  
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    @Sherlock - I've reviewed the OFX log and it appears there is a CUSIP number for each security it is downloading, but for some reason these new securities are not being updated with that CUSIP. Can you manually add a CUSIP in Quicken to a security? If not, what else can be done to correct this or should I be looking for something else in the OFX log?
    1975Jumby said:
    @Sherlock - I've reviewed the OFX log and it appears there is a CUSIP number for each security it is downloading, but for some reason these new securities are not being updated with that CUSIP. Can you manually add a CUSIP in Quicken to a security? If not, what else can be done to correct this or should I be looking for something else in the OFX log?
    Again, I suggest you examine the securities in the Quicken to determine if the CUSIP number you found for each of these new securities in the OFX Log is already assigned to another security.  

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    @Sherlock I looked at the OFX log and none of the new securities has the same CUSIP number as any other security on my list.
    1975Jumby said:
    @NotACPA - All of the securities that are downloading are mutual funds. Two of them are bond funds, but none of the others.
    This statement, and you statement that they're downloading as 'Bonds Bought' are in conflict.  Both statements CAN NOT possibly be true.
    Which is why I asked HOW do you have these bond funds set up in Q?
    @NotACPA All of the securities that are having this issue are mutual funds. To clarify, two of these mutual funds are bond "type" funds, but they are not actual bonds (apologies for that confusion). When any transaction from these new funds is downloaded, I need to edit the transaction before posting it. The transaction type always defaults to "Bonds Bought" and I have to change to "Buy - Shares Bought."
    1975Jumby said:
    @Sherlock I looked at the OFX log and none of the new securities has the same CUSIP number as any other security on my list.
    Please provide one of these CUSIP numbers.

Also, while pressing Shift, select Help > About Quicken.  I'm interested in the Securities/Max ref numbers.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Here is a CUSIP -316389766. Also, the Securities/Max ref numbers are 87/88.
    edited June 16
    1975Jumby said:
    Here is a CUSIP -316389766. Also, the Securities/Max ref numbers are 87/88.
    The negative sign may be the problem.  You may need to contact Fidelity.

As an experiment, I suggest you create a new data file and add the account to see if the issue is specific to the original data file.  If it is, I suggest you try the Copy and Validate: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    @Sherlock Apologies as the negative sign was a typo. The CUSIP showing up in the OFX file is just 316389766.
    Explore the OFX,Log file re: that "Bonds Bought".  You can find it ; HELP, Log Files, OFX Log.
    Save the file to your desktop and then open it with NotePad or WordPad (NOT MS Word).
    You can search from the bottom (going upward) to find the fund name and the action associated with it.
    Because, as I said previously "Bonds Bought" of a Mutual Fund can NOT both be true.
    CUSIP 316389766 is Fidelity Small Cap Growth Fund.

This is what one of my recent purchases of a Fidelity fund looks like in OFXLog.Txt
    <BUYMF><INVBUY><INVTRAN><FITID>15323930515901520190607<DTTRADE>20190607000000.000[-4:EDT]<MEMO>REINVESTMENT</INVTRAN><SECID><UNIQUEID>31635V679<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><UNITS>+0000000000141.07600<UNITPRICE>000000012.190000000<COMMISSION>+00000000000000.0000<FEES>+00000000000000.0000<TOTAL>-00000000001719.7200<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.00<CURSYM>USD</CURRENCY><SUBACCTSEC>CASH<SUBACCTFUND>CASH</INVBUY><BUYTYPE>BUY    </BUYMF>
    SO, please find the Buy transaction in your OFXLog.txt file and post it here so that we can see what's happening.
    I've highlighted, in my transaction, the CUSIP identifier so that you can search for that also.
    Also, the Securities and Max Ref numbers should be the same, that yours aren't indicates a problem in your Q database.
    Contact Q Support re: how to fix this.
    NotACPA said:
    Also, the Securities and Max Ref numbers should be the same, that yours aren't indicates a problem in your Q database.
    Not true.  
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    @NotACPA I tried posting the OFX portion of the log last night that shows what comes through on the download, but for some reason, I received a message stating my post needed further review before it could be published (not sure why). However, it looks exactly like yours that you posted except since this was not the actual purchase, the beginning of the log has [-4:EDT] between each security detail. I'll go back and try to see if the purchase log is still in there and hopefully I can post that successfully.

Also, just to clarify, I have no bonds in my portfolio - only mutual funds. However, any time a new transaction is downloaded to Quicken with one of these "new" mutual funds, I have to edit the transaction after accepting it because the purchase type defaults to "Bonds Bought" and of course, that also affects the amount of the shares and pricing. I have to adjust those well.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17
    A few suggestions-

1. rule out a damaged data file - https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  Holding the Ctrl key while clicking Validate in menu item will run a super-validate. Do that in addition to the regular validation.

2. Tools>Online Center, select Fidelity, Holdings tab and click Compare to Portfolio. See if anything obvious stands out. This will identify mismatches between what Fidelity is reporting in the Holdings table versus what Quicken is showing.

3. For all holdings at Fidelity, including any hidden securities in Securities List, uncheck all of the matched with online securities boxes. It's possible something is cross-linked and unmatching them will fix that. It's possible the cross-link is with a fund from another account, but that is less likely. On next OSU or sooner you will be presented with windows to match up your downloaded Holdings to your Quicken holdings or call them New securities. Carefully re-link those that should be matched and get the New ones established correctly.  You may need to manually change each transaction for the Unidentified securities to the proper New security.

Do any of the ghosted Matched with online security boxes contain a check?
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17
    Sherlock said:
    NotACPA said:
    Not true.  
    The initial revelation of the issue is in this post. It does not say that the numbers being off by one is a problem; it says that a very high Max Ref is the problem. But I still wonder what it means if the numbers differ by a small amount. I also have a data file in which the numbers differ by 1.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
    The negative sign had to be a typo. Here is the part of the OFX log for that security.

[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.0<CURSYM>USD</CURRENCY></INVPOS></POSMF><POSMF><INVPOS><SECID><UNIQUEID>316389766<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><HELDINACCT>CASH<POSTYPE>LONG<UNITS>947.69300<UNITPRICE>25.9600000<MKTVAL>+00000024602.11<DTPRICEASOF>20190615033013.000
    Can you show the complete BUY transaction for that security ... as I did?
    And, PLEASE, leave in the delimiters.  They actually make things easier to read as we can tell what fields we're seeing.
    Is there some kind of trick to posting the entire OFX transaction? I've tried posting a reply, but it says it needs to be reviewed. I just had another transaction download today with the same issue and I'd like for you all to review the OFX log.
    I'm set up on automatic investments, so I finally had another purchase with one of the securities that is having the issue. Here is the complete transaction from the OFX log:

</BUYMF><BUYMF><INVBUY><INVTRAN><FITID>65063592817602220190624<DTTRADE>20190624000000.000[-4:EDT]<MEMO>YOU BOUGHT PROSPECTUS </INVTRAN><SECID><UNIQUEID>77954Q106<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><UNITS>+0000000000001.52400<UNITPRICE>000000116.790000000<COMMISSION>+00000000000000.0000<FEES>+00000000000000.0000<TOTAL>-00000000000178.0200<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.00<CURSYM>USD</CURRENCY><SUBACCTSEC>CASH<SUBACCTFUND>CASH</INVBUY><BUYTYPE>BUY

I did call Fidelity and explained to them I was having...they were pretty nice about it, but didn't have an immediate solution and put in some kind of a ticket. Of course, I haven't heard back. I'm anxious to get this resolved because my holdings are all off on this account with what is being reported in Quicken and Fidelity.
    @1975Jumby ; As shown in my example above, please start at the <BUYMF> symbol, and copy everything to and including the </BUYMF>.
    What you copied in isn't sufficient to understand what we're seeing.  Also, as previously requested, please leave in the delimiters (the < > symbols) as they tell us what we're looking at.  You've just presented a string of characters with no elaboration.
    @NotACPA Yes, I'm aware of that and they edited what I was trying to send. I posted the whole transaction and it did not look like that. Trying to post an image so maybe you can open that up and see the whole transaction.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CUSIP in the transaction is a T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund. So neither of the CUSIPS you have provided are bond funds. I'm confused.

Did you ever try my #3 above?