Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Dual Monitor Support...

Pilotbum
Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
This is a rather minor but annoying issue but I have a dual monitor system and I always had Quicken open on the second monitor. Now it always opens on the first no matter which side it was previously closed from. This just started after the last update. I've searched for answers online and discovered this is software specific and not necessarily a windows problem.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    20.15 solved this problem for me too...

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pilotbum ,

Probably many Beta Testers, don't use or have Dual Monitor Setups, plus the fact they don't have in house the same Graphics Cards that users do.

They have advertised for Beta Testers here and here is the link, if you want to become a Beta Tester:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7763365/how-to-join-quicken-beta
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    I looked into becoming a Beta Tester but the way I read it you really need a second computer running a second instance of Quicken to do it. Did I misread that?
  • thecreator
    When you are running Beta, you don't need a second computer, but you do need to either Dual-Boot your current computer or uninstall your current version and use Beta version, year round.

To Keep Beta from expiring, you need to test the Beta Version and perform tests and report your findings.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can create a VM using something as VirtualBox.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    I was just looking at it again, by dual boot you mean having a second instance of the OS with the Beta version running on it, right?

I'm fine with running the Beta version(s) year round as long as my data can be reasonably secure from corruption or other problems. I spend a lot of time in Quicken on both my desktop and laptop but honestly cannot devote a lot of time to a second instance if it is not a working file... if that makes sense?

I've re-created my Beta profile and am remembering that when I signed up before I never really did figure the program out.
  • thecreator
    Right. Plus if you are still using MBR Disks, you can use Visual BCD Editor and edit the Description.

For Example, if you install Windows 10 on a separate partition on the same Hard Drive, Microsoft calls both installations Windows 10.
    You can edit the BCD Store for both with Visual BCD Editor. Call one Windows 10 Beta and the other Windows 10 Pro.

Visual BCD Editor, does not work with GPT Disks.

And if you are using Acronis True Image 2019, you can do an Image of Windows 10 and restore that image for the new location.

Of course, you  need partition your Hard Drive and it needs to be at least 100 GBs in size for both.

You can use the same Data File with both, but make sure to do Manual Backups, daily. Automatic Backups are not good, if your Hard Drive dies. You will be out of luck.

https://www.boyans.net/

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pilotbum said:
    I'm fine with running the Beta version(s) year round as long as my data can be reasonably secure from corruption or other problems. I spend a lot of time in Quicken on both my desktop and laptop but honestly cannot devote a lot of time to a second instance if it is not a working file... if that makes sense?
    Aha, you do have 2 computers. Here's what I do. I run the production Quicken on my desktop and beta on my laptop. I periodically copy my production QDF file to the beta machine, but it's a one-way trip because (a) I torture the beta copy of the data and (b) I don't trust betas with my production data; betas are allowed to have bugs.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    @thecreator That's way more than I'm willing to do for Beta testing. And I don't have the room on my SSD to run a second version of W10.

@Rocket J Squirrel I have thought about doing it that way except I travel ~50% of my life so I use my desktop when I'm at home then sync it to my laptop when I'm on the road. So I kind of need the production version on my laptop as well.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Pilotbum said:
    @Rocket J Squirrel I have thought about doing it that way except I travel ~50% of my life so I use my desktop when I'm at home then sync it to my laptop when I'm on the road. So I kind of need the production version on my laptop as well.
    What about keeping the production version on your laptop for real daily use and putting beta on the desktop for when you’re home with copious free time? 🙂
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha... copious free time!!!!

I can honestly say I'd be a far better Beta tester if I could use my real data file with the Beta without too much worry of it getting damaged. That would at least guarantee I'd spend more time on it.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Pilotbum said:
    I can honestly say I'd be a far better Beta tester if I could use my real data file with the Beta without too much worry of it getting damaged. That would at least guarantee I'd spend more time on it.
    Some testers do this. I personally would not, but I don't recall seeing recent reports of data damage due to beta. If you choose to do this, back up your data every session using timestamped backup filenames, using your copious free disk space.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    So when there's something to beta test I assume it appears in the "My Projects" section?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited June 2019
    Hello Pilotbum,

Specific questions regarding Beta testing itself should be asked at the beta website https://quickenbeta.centercode.com/key/signup. and not the Community.

You may risk breaking your NDA and being removed as a beta tester by posting here.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    *NM**
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello Pilotbum,
    I apologize if my last comment caused any frustration.

I meant to just iterate that the community is separate from the beta website as this thread touches on it and wasn't meant as a violation.I do see that the comment has been edited but wanted to apologize for conveying it that.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Meebs
    Meebs Member ✭✭
    Also having the dual monitor problem with screens not remaining maximized or position and always reverting to the left hand monitor [#1}. Seen it recognized as a problem after the .44 update, but nothing since. Is there any way to revert to the previous update.
  • Meebs
    Meebs Member ✭✭
    Tx Greg, did my backup of PC and Q, downloaded r18 mondo and got an update to R19.52 27.1.1952. Installed it but what I was hoping for [dual monitor support] will not allow me to maximize Q's main page on Monitor #2 [right side]. Now I will go for r18. Tx
  • Meebs
    Meebs Member ✭✭
    Forgot to add, after r18 patch my dual monitor with the main page on monitor #2 works like it should.
  • Meebs
    Meebs Member ✭✭
    Hoping that 19.55 would help with this problem........but no such luck. I remain back on R18.6 with out issues.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    So two updates have come out since this got screwed up and it's still not fixed. Will it get fixed?
  • Meebs
    Meebs Member ✭✭
    R20.15 update has put my monitors back to normal.
  • SirBruce
    SirBruce Member ✭✭
    After R20.15 update, I am experiencing the same problem with Qn opening only on my primary (laptop) monitor and with a small window. Until R20.15, Qn opened on my second monitor and sized as I specified upon closing. It is a semi-hassle to now move the Qn window and resize it with each session. What gives...???
  • thecreator
    Hi @SirBruce ,

Not many users have two Monitors attached to their computer, including Beta Testers.

My advice, join Quicken Beta. See: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855519/help-us-improve-quicken-become-a-beta-tester

None of your Quicken IDs and passwords will work over there. You need to Sign up as a New Member, unless you are a Member.

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    20.15 solved this problem for me too...
This discussion has been closed.